1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TacomaYAK, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Feb 16, 2008 at 9:46 PM
    TacomaYAK

TacomaYAK [OP] The Reel Sportsman

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4.0
    Lifted.
    Ok I just wanted to check to make sure I wired my harness correctly. I connected all the wires to each other by color and whether or not they were positive/negative.

I noticed in the instructions from the stereo that it said to ground the black wire to the body of the truck. But I just connect the black wire from my harness to the stereo...is that right?

Also I noticed I had one yellow wire left over coming out of the harness from the stereo with a tag that says "mute". The Scoche wiring harness I had did not have this yellow wire to connect. So I am guessing that I don't you use it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 18, 2008 at 4:07 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    You have to ground the wire coming from your stereo to the body directly.

3. Feb 18, 2008 at 4:56 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    nooo you dont :cool:

4. Feb 18, 2008 at 9:43 AM
    colttsi

Member:
    eeeee....first of all, very constructive comment, if not where should he ground it and second of all, ground your wire coming from stereo directly to the body with an already existing bolt or nut.
    You will avoid one very common trouble people have with a bad ground which is the sound cutting when your volume is too high.

5. Feb 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    No need to chassis ground on an 05+ Tacoma. Just connect all the like colored wires. The stock wiring already has a ground wire.

Don't worry about the Yellow/Black wire. Thats to mute the radio if you have a car phone that has that output option. When you get a call it will mute the radio. Most people don't have car phones like that anymore.

6. Feb 19, 2008 at 5:39 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    we'll like pb said use the ground in the wiring harness (THE BLACK WIRE):eek:
    I Have had mine installed for 2 years that way and have had no problems

-just my .02

7. Feb 19, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    colttsi

Member:
    I know there is a black wire from the harness that is a ground but in his post, he said that the instructions told him to chassis ground the wire so he could do it. People who have a relatively big sound system ground it directly to the chassis to save trouble. Didn't want to cause trouble. Enjoy your sound system!

8. Feb 20, 2008 at 2:59 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I've heard that the stock stereo ground is not as good as it could be. Doesn't make much sense to me though, because big sound systems don't use as much power from their head unit(they'll depend on an external amp), thus the ground wire does not need to be huge.

9. Feb 20, 2008 at 7:03 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    LOL. I have no clue where some of these theories come from. :rolleyes:

Just use the stock ground wire. Your radio also gets grounded through the FM antenna plug. So dont worry about it. As a previous professional car audio installer I installed hundreds of radios in cars. The stock ground works fine. Some older chryslers ground the radio through the radios chassis and then through a metal bracket or strap. But Toyotas just use a wire and it works fine.

tacopashka likes this.
  10. Feb 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM
    TacomaYAK

TacomaYAK [OP] The Reel Sportsman

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4.0
    Lifted.
    got it installed, just connected all the colors together.....my taco jams now! thanks.

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    So I mucked up my mute wire from the Avicz110bt when doing the bypass. I guess technically this wire is obsolete with Bluetooth now so do i even need to worry about hooking it back up?

I know I need to route the parking brake wire to ground but the mute wire seems well moot haha

Help!

Products Discussed in

To Top