1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock radio wiring

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by semper000, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Feb 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    semper000

semper000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
    I ordered my truck with just the plain old single-disc CD radio in plans to replace it with an aftermarket head unit, and speakers all around. My question is, on this radio is the audio going through any type of amp or is the amp only used in the JBL version? Also is an external crossover used to seperate the audio frequencies in the front woofers and tweeters, or is the audio crossover built into the stock radio? I ask because I want to purchase a set of component speakers for the front that come with a crossover and am thinking it may be better to run all new speaker lines instead of just using a wiring harness with the new head unit.

2. Feb 21, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    I did something similar to what your considering (there is no amp in mine/your setup from factory) I purchased the truck with the single disk cd player ,i replaced that with a pioneer and i just ran the stock harness into the new after market radio. Then i replaced the stock speakers with infinity's and OMG what a huge difference in sound quality just do it you will not be disappointed http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
    :)

3. Feb 21, 2008 at 4:02 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    the tweeters have crossovers built into them. the wiring going to the door is split up between the woofer and tweeter so you would not have to run new lines to each speaker. i just installed the crossover for my alpine in the door getting fed from the factory wiring.

i would also recommend that you install an amp with your new compnents. most aftermarket radios will power components but they will really come alive when you got an amp to them.

4. Feb 21, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    You will be fine with using the existing wiring with a wiring harness. There is no seperate crossovers. The crossovers are built in to the tweeters. There is no amp with the non JBL systems either. What I do recommend however which you did not mention, is add an amp to those components. If you read the specs on any components, you will notice that they are usually around 60 watts and up rms. The MB Quarts that I have are 130 watts rms. If you purchase components and hook them up straight to the head unit, you will probably not be to happy because your head unit will underpower them. And you will spend more money for components than coax speakers. My advice, get components with an amplifier or just get coax speakers if you don't want an amp. Usually any head unit will only give you around 20-25 watts rms per channel if you are lucky. Don't go with the "max" output that is given. That number is over rated.

5. Feb 22, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    semper000

semper000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
    Thanks for all the information, good stuff. This may be easier to wire than I thought. I have thought about the amp though. I'm really looking to do an install that is meant to be heard rather than seen. The days of "hey look at my glowing blue amps" are past me. I've considering installing the amp under the seat or something, but have always been concerned about air flow with installing an amp upside down.

6. Feb 22, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't recommend installing the amp updide down either. Most amps will overheat this way. Not all of them, but most of them. I personally like having lights to give it that clean look. I can't stand to see an install where all the wires are exposed. Looks like they didnt know what they were doing. But thats just a personal opinion.

7. Feb 23, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    you could always remove the led light thats making the cool "blue glow"

8. Dec 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    xxsoccafreak09xx

xxsoccafreak09xx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner Lifted
    17" dick cepek rims with 33" nitto mudgrapplers tires, 3" lift, Fishing rod rack.
    if i am wiring an amp to my stock radio and already bought an output adapter then wht wires do i connect to to the back of my radio?

Products Discussed in

To Top