1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock head unit, can i add anything to it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by lyonmat, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mar 2, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    lyonmat

lyonmat [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Prerunner TRD Double CAb
    I just purchased an 08 Double Cab with the non JBL stock head unit. I really want to keep the stock factory look but also want to get a little more bass/ maybe upgrade front speakers. Like to keep it all under 500 bucks. Without replacing the head unit whats the best bang for the buck upgrade i should do?

Thanks in advance...

2. Mar 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM
    gsxr3000

gsxr3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    OME Lift Kit, TRD S/C CAI EXHAUST
    used amp $100 / new shallow subs $200 / custom box $40 / wiring kit $100... 2 hours to measure, cut, and install.

3. Mar 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    I know ZERO about car systems these days, but... I was talking to a guy at Audio Express a few months ago about pretty much the same thing. He was saying something about JBL's putting out low oms (?), & the need to match the correct speaker/wire configuration, ..... . Don't know if he's blowing smoke or what.:confused:

It was so long ago I forgot the details. Ask around to at least 3 diff stereo shops, to see what they say.

Good Luck

4. Mar 3, 2008 at 6:22 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'd suggest getting a 4 channel amplifier, doesn't have to be super expensive. Get some decent coax speakers up front and bridge the rear channels (wire the + of one channel with the - of the other channel) for a subwoofer.

Something like this for the amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=489AP1040&tp=115

It is an inexpensive amp, it isn't super flash and it isn't super powerful, but it is better than the 15w your current H/U is putting out.

As for some coaxial speakers (those thare the ones that have a 6 1/2" cone with a tweeter or two attached in one unit) look for something in the $50 range. Should be an improvement over what you have currently. I suggest shopping at a place like crutchfield.com especially for beginners because they will include everything you need in your order and tell you what will fit your vehicle. They also have great technical support during and after your install.

As for the subwoofer. I'd look for a 10" sub and you can get a box from ********* that will fit behind your rear seat. The image dynamics sub that they reccommend is a fantastic subwoofer. It is has a nice blend of sound quality as well as having the ability to get pretty loud.

If you are a more a/v savy person, there are better deals to be found but rarely will you find the customer service of crutchfield.

Products Discussed in

To Top