1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to install tweeters with factory wires

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kjf216, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    SO first off this took me about a week to finally figure this out. so for anyone who has already played with the speakers you will notice if u just try to upgrade your speakers and unplug the tweeters you lose power to both speakers. from my research it appears that the tweeter and woofer are wired in series so if u just try to splice in new tweeter with the factory wires you will get way too much power to the tweeter and they will sound horrible.

so here what i did after some trial and error

first off here are the speakers i added: apline type-s components in the from the sonys in the rear.
    [​IMG]

remover the door panel and take the complete tweeter out and its bracket (bracket not shown in the pic)
    [​IMG]

I then cut open the sleeve around the tweeter. you will see 4 wires 2 red 2 black, from the factory they are combined down to one red and black up to the tweeter i cut the wires just before the two wires are combined then wired each color to its matching color.

this is the final product
    [​IMG]

then you mount your new speakers for the manufacturing specs when it comes to the tweeters you plug the connector you just spliced back to the factory end and you will now have power to your woofer.

heres my tweeter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now one thing to keep in mind the type-s i used have built in cross-overs in the woofers so i just ran the wires that came with the speakers up to the new tweeters mounted in the factory spot.

i m no expert so you do this at your own risk, but this is how i did my truck. i just did it today so i don't know if they are any long term problems with this method. if i didn't explain this well or was wrong about something just let me know and i will fix it.

sry if my spelling sucks

2. May 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    npepper99

npepper99 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 2.7L
    Im in this same dilemma right now. I understand how you joined the wires. Where did you connect the wires from the tweeter to? I cant make out your picture.... also, is that the stock mount for the woofer that comes with the truck??

3. May 13, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    the factory tweeter wire was just capped off and the alpines i used had built in cross overs so the tweeter connect down to the woofers. the woofers are not in the factory mounts i bought adapters front and back. I hope this helps let me know if u still have questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top