LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Avid Off Road

Notices

AVID Light bar...

Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
AVID Light bar...

Has anyone with the Avid light bar been in any type of front end collision with the bar installed? Im curious how it would hold up to abuse like a moderate front impact. Will it hold up better than some of the other bull bars out there?.

http://www.avidoffroad.com/products/...cts/light-bar/
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Tackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to behold

Tackz's Tacoma Gallery
It's made of a smaller diameter, so it really depends on what you hit & how hard.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
southpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to behold
southpier's Tacoma Gallery
any idea how much that bumper weighs?

thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
xwillx93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpier View Post
any idea how much that bumper weighs?

thanks
32 lbs
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackz View Post
It's made of a smaller diameter, so it really depends on what you hit & how hard.
Diameter of the tubing isn't the only factor when it comes to strength. Most bull bars are larger diameter but very thin walled. Also the mounting systems on many of the brands are flimsy since they only bolt on at the bottom, making for an easy point of failure.

There have been a couple threads on here about the Avid bars in collisions and the verdict seems to always be that they are more stout than bull bars. In a hard collision, both would fold under impact.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Avid Off Road
brandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrandonaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brandonaz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Diameter of the tubing isn't the only factor when it comes to strength. Most bull bars are larger diameter but very thin walled. Also the mounting systems on many of the brands are flimsy since they only bolt on at the bottom, making for an easy point of failure.

There have been a couple threads on here about the Avid bars in collisions and the verdict seems to always be that they are more stout than bull bars. In a hard collision, both would fold under impact.

True...... We designed this light bar to offer more then just a place to mount lights. The tubing is much thicker then the standard bull bars. It has been in a few collisions and has held up the way we expected it to but obviously if the wreck is hard enough damage will be done. For a light bar, it's pretty solid.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery

I think these are the best bars available without removing the front bumper and putting on an all-pro for example. Great product. I can't wait to get one... this one on my truck was on loan just for a sec (to take a picture).
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
this bar is VERY strong. i had a westin bull bar and it was quite flimsy because it was made of thin walled aluminum. this avid bar is strong and semi-heavy. when i mounted my avid bar, i kicked the shit out of it to see how well it would flex. the bar didnt budge and i bruised my heel.

these bars are TOUGH and worth the money!!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^^^^^^
i have also pushed over a 4" thick tree on a trail about 2 months ago, FWIW
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
I hit a large rock on mine. It was big enough that BOTH front tires were OFF the ground ( I beached the truck on the rock). It took an hour of jacking up the truck to get it off the rock. The rock is bigger, and heavier, than it looks in the picture. The rock scratched the bottom valence, mangled the stock skid plate, dented the Avid...BUT COMPLETELY SAVED THE TRUCK. It did bend back into the bumper...barely. It saved me a LOT of money. I love it!!! VERY WORTH THE MONEY!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
question... can you stand on it?

it would help alot with getting under the hood on my truck

I plan for a full front bumper, but this would be a good alternative in the interim

Justin
Old 01-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post

I plan for a full front bumper, but this would be a good alternative in the interim

Justin
Yes you can stand on it. Its strong. If you do get one temporary id like to call first dibs when you go to sell it.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:

Justin
yes you can. i have stood on mine a few times and it doesnt even budge
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Justin
Justin, you've seen mine
Yeah, you can stand on it. I stretch after runs all the time with it.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #16
hey big man lemme hold a dollar
TRD_yota_nc is on a distinguished road
TRD_yota_nc's Tacoma Gallery
how much do these bars cost?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_yota_nc View Post
how much do these bars cost?
around $400, they ship as unpainted steel. they are deff worth the money in my opinion. bull bars do not even come close to the quality of this bar. click on th link in my sig below that says "My Build" for more pictures of it if you would like
Old 03-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
hey big man lemme hold a dollar
TRD_yota_nc is on a distinguished road
TRD_yota_nc's Tacoma Gallery
they look tough i want one to mount some lights on
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered! Any tips on coating?
w8n4mud, did you coat the bottom part of your bumper yourself? I like...
Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Just ordered! Any tips on coating?
w8n4mud, did you coat the bottom part of your bumper yourself? I like...
i got mine professionally line-x'd, it has held up great for 9 months now, no chips or damage of any kind, and ive even pushed over a 4" thick tree with it