1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So far, not impressed with Avid

Discussion in 'Avid Off Road' started by michaelg589, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Jun 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edit 6-16-11:

Pros:

1. Good light bar/brush gaurd.

2. Fit is perfect

3. Seems as strong as possible for its mounting location

Cons:

1. I waited nearly 7 weeks (Order was placed 4-26-11. Received 6-13-11

2. My only phone call was awkward

3. Shipping was slightly complicated/delayed. But this was not Avid's fault.

Overall, I like my light bar

I would also give the overall qaulity of the welds a 9.5 out of 10. Fit is perfect. However welds seemed a bit on the cold side. No risk to structural integrity I'm sure. Just would've liked to see better wetting and penetration.

2. Jun 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    i know hes insanely busy along with some work being done to his shop to get it expanded and stuff i would see about calling him and let him know the situation again.

waiting sucks i know

3. Jun 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    michaelg589

Member:
    Perhaps he is busy. Perhaps he does have a lot of other things going on. I'm not doubting that. But, if thats the case, I dont feel you should promise a customer three weeks build time. If he told me it would take longer than normal, I would be fine with that. I am a metal worker/welder myself, I know how long things take.

I'm sure it will be a great peice. I've read nothing but good things about Avid. Out of what i've read, I seem to be the only one experiencing issues with communication and wait time. So, I'm not that concerned yet. But i will say, the conversation I had with him over the phone was odd. It really seemed as though he had no idea what to tell me.

4. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    brandonaz

brandonaz Avid Off Road Vendor

Member:
    uuhhh.... I'm a little surprised that you posted this, I thought you understood what was going on with your order?? I did talk to you a couple days ago on the phone... you asked about your order.. I told you it had been shipped out a week ago and that you should have received an email telling you that it had been shipped and providing you with the tracking number. You told me that you had received it and checked the tracking number but the tracking number didn't show the shipping status. I checked it, and you were right.. after it left our shop it hasn't been updated, for some reason. So if I "seemed a bit clueless" on the phone, it's because I was. 4 other orders were shipped the same time as yours and they have been delivered already. You should have already received it. So like I told you on the phone.... I will call our account rep Monday (tomorrow) morning and find out what happened and where the shipment is. I'll let you know what I find out. Again.. I apologize, we have shipped 100s of orders and have never had one disappear in shipping.

5. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This sounds like an issue with the freight carrier, not with Avid :rolleyes:

6. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I can vouch for Brandon. He had great communication with me through the entire process...I may have bigged him a little too much but he always took the time to keep me updated. He is busy as hell man as everyone has started to buy their products. Just give it some more time...you will be glad you did because the quality is amazing.

7. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    ^ what he said

8. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    wow i need to get my pop corn

9. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i have only heard good things about avids work though. as a matter of fact i spend alot of time on this site and i can't really remember anyone ever having any problem at all with them or with their products. i'm just not a fan of the look.

10. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Nice.

11. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    brandonaz

brandonaz Avid Off Road Vendor

Member:

The order confirmation email we send out says, "All of our products are custom made to order and fab usually takes about 3 weeks or so, depending on how busy we are." 3 weeks is an average, not a promise. Sometimes it's sooner... sometimes longer.. It just depends on how busy we are. We send updates throughout the process and we will give updates at anytime. I personally reply to emails and go through phone messages and they get replied to.

12. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    sounds like the op has ant's in the pants. give the guy some time to figure out what happened to your product and i'm sure he will take care of you. i would have to have had a pretty hideous experience to just go and post something up on a forum where avid sell their product i'm sure he has received a lot of business from tw over the years. i agree with the rest of the guy's this seems totally uncalled for.

13. Jun 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
  14. Jun 14, 2011 at 2:18 AM
    michaelg589

Member:
    Wow. Some of you guys are quite ridiculous. You act as though I am attacking your best friend in the whole world. The man sold you parts for your truck, and now you act as though youre best buds.

I'm not attacking anyone. The fact of the matter is, I was not satisfied with customer service. Yes, UPS was at fault for the shipping delay. I received my bar yesterday. But my phone call was awkward.

I'm not saying Mr. Harrop is a bad guy. My personal opinion is that when answering calls for your business, you should go about it a little differently. My personal opinion about him? I don't have one. Why? Because I do not know him.

In the end, my experience overall was... OK. Not bad, because i received a good product. But it good have been better. I don't think this should be a blemish on Avid's great record. I'm sure it won't be anyway because so many of you are jumping down my throat. Thank you Avid Off-Road for a good quality product.

15. Jun 14, 2011 at 2:49 AM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    It's just odd you post this on a saturday? You cannot get anything done on the weekends with businesses (usually) try to call the post office at 5:01pm on a friday and you s.o.l.

The people are just trying to defend the companies name. So UPS was at fault? Bash them. If you sent a product out and 6/7 of the products reached the destination would'nt that be a little strange to you?

Best thing to do is order something. And forget about it. Cause the more you check were it is on that tracking website the longer its going to take.

16. Jun 14, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    i have never had a bad situation with brandon at avid. he always keeps great communication with me and everyone i know! i am EXTREMELY pleased with his work. couldnt be happier!

but OP you got to see where people are coming from. everyone at avid works monday-saturday, sometimes till 1-2am trying to get all orders done and keep everyone happy. while making a great product.

he is a very busy guy and he cant always respond to your emails right away, he works all day too! some times just have a little bit of patience and wait a couple days for a email back, if you worked from early in the morning till 1-2am would you go home and email back everyone? i sure as hell wouldnt. but im sure he tries his best.

personally, i have a custom full skid plate bumper, and some custom sliders, they BOTH exceed my expectations. they both have stuff on them that i couldnt have even thought about.

17. Jun 16, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    michaelg589

Member:
    I know no one will care, But I installed my bar today. Here's a pic:

IMAG0360_6a0d8e4a34c39affd66cc23b7279df01518080f7.jpg

I welded my own light tabs to it:

IMAG0362_ee0704f1f60a92be14a4e22dfeb16fd0c45ab8b1.jpg

Tcoma06 likes this.
  18. Jun 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Looks good!

19. Jun 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    looks great dude! why would no one care? haha

20. Jun 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    must be a Jersey thing :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top