Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Avid Off Road

Notices

2012 Avid Light Bar Review and Installation

Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
bubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bubbagumps's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Avid Light Bar Review and Installation

For most people, this is going to be redundant information. But I don't do many mods to my truck and thought I would be thorough. FWIW, here is my Avid lightbar review, along with installation pics for those interested.

I ordered the avid lightbar because it is kind of unique. I wanted something for the front, but don't like most of the generic bull bars out on the market and don't like how most of them sit. This is almost entirely a cosmetic modification, as I have as much use for actual offroad lights as I do a winch. I do not do serious offroading and my truck is more at home in suburbia and spends 98% of the time on the pavement.

As far as ordering, the proces is very straightofrward. I didn't really deal with the owner because I didn't need to. I was in no rush to get the bar and figured it would get here when it gets here, so the only correspondence was the owner notfying me when the bar started to be built and when it was shipped. There was also an offer to provide information or assistance with regards to DIY painting and installation. For most people, however, this probably won't be needed as the install is very straightofrward. Customer service seemed fine in this regards, even though I didn't really need it, as just mentioned.

As far as delivery time, it took about a month from order to actual receipt of the bar. Given these are hand built and this is a small shop, this is to be excpected. Again, it was no concern. I was in no rush so I didn't even think about it until I got the word that it was shipped. The only people I think who might not like the wait are obviously those 'have to have it now' types. But, as the only saying goes, impatient boys miss dessert. These are kind of unique and you don't see them on many other trucks, so it is worth the wait if you like the unique style. If you don't like the style, you obviously won't be looking at the bar to begin with.

When I was shopping around, the cost is on par with, and cheaper than in many cases, the generic name-brand bars out there. I really didn't know about this shop until I came to this forum.

The bar is delivered via UPS and is wrapped in plastic cellophane-type material.

The bar, as delivered:

Reading some of the threads here, there were questions about the weight. As the packing material is minimal, the bar comes in at 32 pounds, based on the shipping sticker:

The bar itself, as shipped, is presentable enough that if one wanted a silver-chrome finish, the bar would do fine as it is, outside of the fact that steel rusts. This is bare steel, so obviously you want to coat the steel with a rust inhibitor of your choice. The welds seem fine enough and the overall quality appears high.

I just used two coats of Rustoleum primer, two coats of black enamel rustoleum, followed by two coats of rustoleum clearcoat.

After primer:

I might want to repaint it later on. I was first thinking about color-matching it to the truck and might do so later on. Black suits me fine and goes with the predator step bars I already installed. I wasn't too anal about application, given all of this. Regardless, the bar is going to be abused by bugs, dirt, and whatever, so I wasn't too picky about doing the absolute finest paint job ever. Simple rattle-cans were sufficient. Nothing fancy. It did the job good enough.

Anyways, on to the installation.

I set the bar down on cloth pads and got out my 1/2 inch kobalt wrench. Used a 9/16 bit.

Installation is simple. If you look under the lower bumper on both sides, you will see two screws that hold on the front bumper plate.

My truck is only two-months old, so no issues with rusty bolts or headers. The only real work on installation, is getting the bolts off and back on.

I have heard people say they had trouble with the screws. Compared to taking off the stock exhaust bolts when installing the TRD exhaust, this was easy.

You will probably want to remove the lower grey bumper to have easier access. If you have a long driver, this should be no problem. There is not a lot of room to work with inside the compartment, however, especially once the bar is attached. I have a swiveling head on the ratchet, so it was easy work and I did not need to remove anything.

Once all of the bolts are off, simply carefully lift the bar into position and slide the bar plates onto the bolts.

Having an extra hand will make it easier, but you can easily do it on your own. Once on, I just used my knee to keep the bar from sliding forward while I was lying under the truck, and then slipped the bolts on by hand before tightening. Make sure to tighten the bolts securely. Very simple job.

The end result was pretty nice. I like it. I already got a compliment from a guy in my condo complex who owns a Dakota. He said he had not seen one of these bards before and asked where I got it from.

I was detailing the truck, as well, so excuse the rags. I also just got the Michelen M/S 2 tires, along with the TRD exhuast and Weathertech liners, and 50% window tint on the front.

Anyways, the bar adds a nice touch. I like it. Hopefully, it holds up well over time.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
rpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roger
rpking's Tacoma Gallery
nice job. looks good, if you don't mind me asking, what town in Ohio are you from? I'm south of Cleveland about 30 miles.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
bubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubbagumps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks. I am in Eastlake.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
rpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roger
rpking's Tacoma Gallery
thanks, I see Taco's all the time when I'm driving I always wonder if any of them are being driven by members on here.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpking View Post
thanks, I see Taco's all the time when I'm driving I always wonder if any of them are being driven by members on here.
I see a guy tooling around with a TacomaWorld sticker in his back window. Not sure who it is. Drives a lifted black DoubleCab with Black wheels and Hanook Pro tires.

There are a lot of 4WD Tacoma drivers in NE Ohio. It's a pretty common site and it's a very popular truck here. A 2WD is a rare site, given the bad lake effect snow we get up here. Most of the trucks I see are F-150, Ram's and Tacomas. Not a whole lot of Chevy's here for some reason. Nissan's are also not that big a seller here, either.

Most of the Tacoma's I see are Black or Silver Double-Cabs. Not too many Access cabs. We are kind of in the minority. I also don't see many Sport trims. Most are TRD Off Road trims. Kind of why I went with the Pytire Mica. I see so many black and silver Tacoma's around here that it is too familiar.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Man I want to pull the trigger on one of these so bad. For some reason I can't do it!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great bud! Congrats!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
sergeant43 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Retired SGT. IDOC, partime deputy sheriff
sergeant43's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered my light bar, can't wait to get it and get it on. Thanks for the info and pictures I'm sure they'll help when I get ready to install.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered my avid bar about a month ago. I should get it soon. This was very helpful. Im planning on painting mine myself. How has the paint held up these last few months on yours?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just got my avid bar yesterday afternoon. Its already on the truck. 2 coats primer, 4 coats paint. looks great

Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job. Love the color of the truck too.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
buffalojay is on a distinguished road

buffalojay's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
Just got my avid bar yesterday afternoon. Its already on the truck. 2 coats primer, 4 coats paint. looks great

Looks great!! I'm really looking in to purchasing one of these but cant decide if I want something like this or a whole front ARB bumper. Do you do a lot of wheelin? I do a lot of camping and spend time snowboarding in the mountains but not a crazy amount of four wheelin so I'm thinking this might be enough.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! What kind of side steps do you have on the truck?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Senor Taco

Avid bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojay View Post
Looks great!! I'm really looking in to purchasing one of these but cant decide if I want something like this or a whole front ARB bumper. Do you do a lot of wheelin? I do a lot of camping and spend time snowboarding in the mountains but not a crazy amount of four wheelin so I'm thinking this might be enough.
I purchased the avid bar to protect my bumper from everday life and when I take my truck off road. I dont do any rock crawling or anything but I do drive on some messy dirt roads to go camping and mountian biking. The avid bar is a higher quality product then those cheep bull bars made out of aluminum. The avid bar is made out of steel. It heavy and strong. I didnt want to replace my whole bumper because I didnt want to change the look of my truck.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
Usmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Jovani
Usmcsantosj's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pics and info...This thread is going reduced my head scratching time while installing mine by 98.93838%
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Name: Dave
bkrdave36's Tacoma Gallery
Bubbagumps -

Does the light bar attach on the inside or outside edge of the frame rails?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
Bubbagumps -

Does the light bar attach on the inside or outside edge of the frame rails?

Thanks
It attaches to a plate on the front ends of the frame.
Each side has three bolts pointing forward,
The light bar slips over two of the three and uses existing nuts to secure it.
Torque value is 42 ft/lbs.
Sorry I don't have any pictures of it uploaded.
I'll see if I have any and will post 'em up, if I do

CC
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Only Pic I had.
Believe it's looking up from below the front bumper, along the Avid Lightbar Attachment Angle Iron.
One of the three Nuts & Bolts is visible.
Bolts will be obvious as it will only fit in one position and only slide onto 4 bolts
Best to take off Grill to access from above as well as below, for threading on the nuts and tightening.
Tough to get a 2' Torque Wrench in there, but you can.
Also helps to have an extra pair of hand to hold it up while you position it on the bolts.
It's and easy install, good luck

CC
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Name: Dave
bkrdave36's Tacoma Gallery
I looked underneath my truck and found the bolts... should be pretty simple to do.