Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Avid Off Road

Notices

Avid bed rack!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Avid bed rack!

A couple weeks ago I contacted Brandon at Avid Off-road about having him build me a bed rack. He said he could and would and for me to draw us a sketch with any specific dimensions that I wanted, so I made up a sketch and emailed it to him. He reviewed my plan and suggested a couple changes that were fine by me and he told me a most reasonable price so I agreed and we wer off!

So this past week he said to come on down on Saturday and bring my RTT as he will weld on tabs for mounting it and we can bolt it all on!

The guys spent a couple hours getting everything fitted just perfect and
I drove home with the tent on top all secured.

This rack is superb! Very strong and great welds. Today I took the tent off and then pulled the rack off and am preparing it for paint. Just a bit more work and I can be ready for camping.... WOOT!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Photo as promised! Late in the day, poor lighting makes my truck look black, it is Sage Mica (dark green).

Old 03-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Man I want one so bad!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Scarlett4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Photo as promised! Late in the day, poor lighting makes my truck look black, it is Sage Mica (dark green).

Get those new wheels and tires on,paint the rack and and update please!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett4x4 View Post
Get those new wheels and tires on,paint the rack and and update please!
Yeah, yeah, I want to see those wheels/tires on the truck too!

Rack needs one more coat of paint, so it should be back onthe truck by the weekend.

Any suggestions as to where to take the new Konig wheels (still in the boxes) and new DuraTrac tires for mounting and balancing? I am thinking Discount Tire if they can provide a set of TPMS sensors and program them to the truck or vice-versa.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great! Any plans by Avid on using that design as a template and making shippable racks that the customer can weld up? Also, how much does the rack weigh by itself? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Yeah, yeah, I want to see those wheels/tires on the truck too!

Rack needs one more coat of paint, so it should be back onthe truck by the weekend.

Any suggestions as to where to take the new Konig wheels (still in the boxes) and new DuraTrac tires for mounting and balancing? I am thinking Discount Tire if they can provide a set of TPMS sensors and program them to the truck or vice-versa.
Honestly, just use the TPMS sensors from your stock wheels and tires for now. I think it was 8$ per wheel for them to rebuild them into the new wheels. Mount and balance isn't very much either.
My reasoning is this, the size difference between your stock shoes and new ones is to great to utilize them as a spare. I understand wanting to keep the stock set complete and all, but you're going to get 50k + out of those Duratecs and its going to look awesome! Sell the stock set and buy a full spare and mount it in the bed.
This is my 2C, but your call man

Also,after mounting the new shoes Discount is going to ask you back within 100 miles to re-torque.. Or just carry your own Torque wrench
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
That looks great! Any plans by Avid on using that design as a template and making shippable racks that the customer can weld up? Also, how much does the rack weigh by itself? Thanks!
I was down there while the rack was finished up on Saturday. W/o the Tent it has to weigh 100lbs and is a two man lift due to size. I would send Brandon an email about making that happen for you (or take a road trip out to AZ)
I will say this over and over.. YOU CANNOT BEAT THE QUALITY OF AVID!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett4x4 View Post
I was down there while the rack was finished up on Saturday. W/o the Tent it has to weigh 100lbs and is a two man lift do to size. I would send Brandon an email about making that happen for you (or take a road trip out to AZ)
I will say this over and over.. YOU CANNOT BEAT THE QUALITY OF AVID!
I would estimate the rack at 100 lbs, but this is just a guess, so I did no offer it sooner. The build quality really is top notch and I work with a machine shop all day long and have seen a thing or two. If anything the rack is over-built, but To me this is good because I may add some roto-pax carriers and make it carry more than just the RTT up top. I drove just over 50 miles coming home from Avid with the rack in place and the RTT secured on top of it and I could not notice any difference in vehicle handling and (happily) no wind noise from the tent even on the Interstate at 70 mph. The entire rack is actually behind the cab not in the direct air flow as we designed it. Brandon has my sketch so if you like it have him start off these plans, but if you want it taller or shorter just let him know, this is the beauty of custom fabricated items!

I have a set of Avid rock sliders as well, and I would reccomend them as well if you want to protect the lower sides of your pickup from thos rock that like to eat rocker panels.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
toyotacrawlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Trip
toyotacrawlin's Tacoma Gallery
price

looks awesome! Im wanting to get a bed rack for mine, Can you mount and unmount it pretty easy.... do you mind if i ask what you paid? I have been looking at an all pro version, and i think arb just came out with one as well.. I cant decide which one is best lol has anyone used the all pro version?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that's nice! I want one too!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
Saw Desert Drifter's truck at the meet on Saturday. His Avid rack looked extremely well designed and fabbed
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacrawlin View Post
looks awesome! Im wanting to get a bed rack for mine, Can you mount and unmount it pretty easy.... do you mind if i ask what you paid? I have been looking at an all pro version, and i think arb just came out with one as well.. I cant decide which one is best lol has anyone used the all pro version?
is your truck a long bed?....look at the used parts on 'all pros' website if it is.....!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
How much does that tent weigh on top. Can 1 person take it off and put it back up?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
toyotacrawlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Trip
toyotacrawlin's Tacoma Gallery
no its a short bed i see that used one on all pro's site though.. I just found there weld together kit brand new on ebay.... short bed or long bed for only 339 plus shipping... that cheaper than their site! Think i am going to go that way...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281114620714...witem=&vxp=mtr

is the link to it.. hopefully its as good