Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Bay Area Metal Fabrication

Notices

B.A.M.F Weld on Rock Slider Install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Best thing ever for cleaning metal scuffs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00755XY2Y/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
I don't have an angle grinder, but I saw Home Depot had this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Non-Wov...d_sbs_indust_4

Is it the same as what you posted but for a drill? And is that what I want to use in JLee's step above?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I don't have an angle grinder, but I saw Home Depot had this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Non-Wov...d_sbs_indust_4

Is it the same as what you posted but for a drill? And is that what I want to use in JLee's step above?
You wont be able to get in the tight spots with that.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #23
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
You wont be able to get in the tight spots with that.
So is that wire brush thing I have good enough or should I try to borrow an angle grinder and buy one of those pads Supra listed?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So is that wire brush thing I have good enough or should I try to borrow an angle grinder and buy one of those pads Supra listed?
The cup brush is fine hell all i did with my sliders is rub them down with denatured alcohol and hit them with a Scotch-Brite pad self etching primer and rusto bet liner and they are still holding up after two years.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
The cup brush is fine hell all i did with my sliders is rub them down with denatured alcohol and hit them with a Scotch-Brite pad self etching primer and rusto bet liner and they are still holding up after two years.
I was just going by your write up

I'll just do the scotch brite pad.

Last idiotic question: what's the purpose of the wire brush/scuff pad step in this procedure? To get rid of any rust or surface crud before priming/painting?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was just going by your write up

I'll just do the scotch brite pad.

Last idiotic question: what's the purpose of the wire brush/scuff pad step in this procedure? To get rid of any rust or surface crud before priming/painting?
it preps the sliders for paint you want tiny little scratches in the steel so the paint has something to adhere to.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
I can't weld the gussets if I paint...
Son of a...

Ruined my weeks plan.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
I can't weld the gussets if I paint...
Son of a...

Ruined my weeks plan.
Just leave the tops of the legs bare and just touch up the tops after welding.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good idea jerry. Been a chaotic day. Thank you

I really need toget a welder and learn so i don't have to rely on others.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #30

Fack...

1. I painted the entire leg(s) except the last 1.5". I forgot about the top of the legs where the gussets will go. What to do now?

2. The gussets and plates are still wrapped in saran wrap. Do those have oil on them to prevent rusting? Do I need to clean the gussets and plates with the acetone and then scuff them up with the scotch brite pads?

Sorry I'm such a knob.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
I doughnut belong here.

Quote:
Fack...

1. I painted the entire leg(s) except the last 1.5". I forgot about the top of the legs where the gussets will go. What to do now?

2. The gussets and plates are still wrapped in saran wrap. Do those have oil on them to prevent rusting? Do I need to clean the gussets and plates with the acetone and then scuff them up with the scotch brite pads?

Sorry I'm such a knob.
funny. i taped the gusset spots but forgot about the last 1.5"!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #32

Quote:
funny. i taped the gusset spots but forgot about the last 1.5"!
Tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber!

I guess I just have to strip the paint off the top
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #33
I doughnut belong here.

soo.. i have some rub noise i believe it is due to me not gapping from the pinch weld.. any possible fix or just get use to it?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #34
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
soo.. i have some rub noise i believe it is due to me not gapping from the pinch weld.. any possible fix or just get use to it?
Some guys on here cut off the pinch weld
Not sure if it's a good idea or not...
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Did you not gap at all from the pinch weld or just minimally?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #38
99nmtaco has a spectacular aura about99nmtaco has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Patrick
99nmtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Jerry nice write up! I have a question about welding to the driver side frame on my 99 taco. Should I be worried about the fuel tank when welding the back leg to the frame? Do I just use a welding blanket and put it between the frame and tank?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #39
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99nmtaco View Post
Hey Jerry nice write up! I have a question about welding to the driver side frame on my 99 taco. Should I be worried about the fuel tank when welding the back leg to the frame? Do I just use a welding blanket and put it between the frame and tank?
Take every precaution you can a welding blanket would be nice. If you smell any fuel at all do not even start welding.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #40
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
sub

Products Discussed in this Thread