Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Bay Area Metal Fabrication

Notices

Write up/ Review BAMF Light Bar 2012 version.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
chicka chicka, yeah!
mclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant future

Air Force: 4A271
Name: Jake
mclovin's Tacoma Gallery
Write up/ Review BAMF Light Bar 2012 version.

Ok bear with me this is going to be a little long just because of the issues that occurred with the install.

First off I had originally ordered a powder coated light bar from Bay Area Metal Fab and was blown away with the quality of everything, just like my sliders (different topic). I had a Grillcraft insert for my truck on order but as soon as the light bar hit my front door it was on and I was wiring up the lights. First issue was the location of the transmission cooler. I had to move that, no big deal. Next was after the lights were on the bar, they sat way too low for the opening of the grill. I have 7 inch lights and about 2ish inches of them was below the highest part of the grill opening. No bueno. I decided to wait for the GC grill to show up and see how it ended up. Still a no go for my preference and for premium light output.

At this point I was thinking about chopping up the light bar that I had and welding the outer mounting tabs to the bottom. I ended up talking to Jerry and after some convincing he built me a bar that would lift the lights higher in the grill opening.

I got it in today finally and he treated me to this new powder coat blend that he’s been bragging about… and yes it is AWESOME! After ripping the box open I started the install. I found that the hood release latch needed to be cut down, and the cover for the latch assembly also needed to be removed.

After doing this I ran into some issues with the bottom tabs of the latch assembly that need to be cut a little bit…

Once this was done I found that the bar was not going to fit flush unless one of two things happened. Either it was getting cut or I was going to space it away from the radiator mounts with washers. I went with the washers.

With the bar now mounted I got the lights on and started to test fit the grill. It was not going to fit at all without modification either. This was for two reasons. The light bar itself was preventing it from sitting even remotely close and that where I mounted my lights were right under the two middle supports. I channeled out the supports and cut down the mounting bolts from the lights.

Now once this is done it’s a little tricky to get the grill over the light mounting bolts while getting the bottom tabs in to the bottom bumper but with a little finesse success will be achieved!

Now I can’t say for not if Jerry is going to offer this light bar setup, but for those who don’t mind carving out your grill… I would most definitely recommend this if you plan on running anything bigger then 4 inch lights behind your grill.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
No modification required to install the regular BAmf light bar on a 2012!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good though!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for posting this!. It saved me so much time on prep and installation. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Rhinog is on a distinguished road
Rhinog's Tacoma Gallery
Which lights did you use behind the grill?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Rhinog is on a distinguished road
Rhinog's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Tacoma View Post
Damn I want to buy the same lights and put them behind my new MX Grillcraft. But after reading this, it seems like I will run into a lot of problems
Just go with a LED light and you will be fine fitting those big lights tough.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
chicka chicka, yeah!
mclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant future

Air Force: 4A271
Name: Jake
mclovin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Tacoma View Post
Damn I want to buy the same lights and put them behind my new MX Grillcraft. But after reading this, it seems like I will run into a lot of problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Just go with a LED light and you will be fine fitting those big lights tough.
it really wasnt that bad, it was kind of a nice project to work on. to be honest, im thinking about getting an led bar instead so this set up might be available at some point soon
Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
Tactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Tactical Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
it really wasnt that bad, it was kind of a nice project to work on. to be honest, im thinking about getting an led bar instead so this set up might be available at some point soon
I bought an LED light bar on amazon. Gonna install it next weekend.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
RacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Was there any modifications to the light bar other than flipping the mounting tabs over? I got some 7" lights I'm looking at using with my bamf lightbar, so if its just relocating the tabs, ill probably just cut and reweld them.