1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ORI-Struts Experience

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by benbacher, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Aug 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    I purchased a set of 8" ORI stx's a while back and wanted to review my experience with this company, as well as with BAMF.

ORI's customer service is quite possibly some of the best I've seen in the business. I've spoken with the owners son, and some of their support staff and had MANY interactions with Liz who works their phones. All of them are incredibly helpful and really do everything in their power to help the customer. I have extenuating circumstances pushing my build and they are doing everything they can to make sure I get my parts EARLY from when I ordered them. They know I've got a deadline and are doig their best to accommodate. Calling a company every few days you normally begin to feel like a bother, but Liz insisted that I continue to call her back so she could keep my up to speed on where things were at.

On Jerry's side of things I've had no problem getting ahold of him and I am fully confident that everything he's going to send me will be BAMF and will work exactly as it needs to. This is sort of an experimental set up and comes with a LOT of questions from me and he's been very patient with me and my noob-ness.

All in all, I've been nothing but impressed with these things and I haven't even received them yet! I'll update in here with my further experience with these and I'd encourage the other guys running them to do the same!

2. Aug 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    Somebody has to have some more experience with these!

3. Aug 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Mine should be in in a week or two i hope. We'll see, I'll keep on top of it with install pics, nitrogen fill measurements and ride height measurements. I only know of Alex (sytfu5150) that's running them currently. Mine are going to be a lot cooler than his though. :p

4. Aug 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
  5. Aug 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
  6. Aug 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    I'm trying to follow what you guys are doing, and I'm a little lost regarding the stroke of these shocks.
    I guess the questions start with what is the stock, or current travel of your control arms and what is your long term goal for the travel to be?
    Is there an advantage to having more travel in the shocks than the control arms allow?
    Are you planning to do a SAS?
    Also,from the video, the drop spindles appear to be fabbed and not cast. Where did you get them?
    Thanks

7. Aug 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Mine are 10" due to the fact I'm going to go LT in the future. Most people would run 8". Just to get maximum travel from the front stock IFS system. This setup would just to get max mid travel setup without a whole lot of cost. My Spindles are OEM with All Pro gussets welded on.

IdRatherBNTheSanJuans likes this.
  8. Aug 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    Holy body mount bushing batmans!

1rooster and Mr.PowerTrays like this.
  9. Aug 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Mine ship today :woot:

10. Aug 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    lol all that mad flex yo. :eek:

11. Aug 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Kendo

Kendo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB Sport 4x4 6 Speed
    You remember when you ordered your struts? Just curious cause I have some ordered as well and was wondering what the wait time was? Jerry told me 8-10 weeks which I assume is accurate but all my other parts are arriving daily and I'm itching to get to work.....

Just out of curiosity did you pick up a charge kit and a nitrogen tank? Also saw you mention a secondary shock setup in another thread You doing that setup or is that on the wishlist?

I'm eager to play along in this thread but for now I'm in a holding pattern. Have fun with the install and keep us informed.

12. Aug 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    It's been right at 8 weeks since I ordered. Exactly what they quoted me. I was going to run a secondary when I was doing coil overs but I'm going to see how these do by themselves. First thing ill add is the resivoirs.

Sourcing a nitrogen tank still. Cheapest one I could find was about 225 filled.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  13. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Today was a good day.
    [​IMG]

14. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    Those look awesome congrats

15. Sep 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Thanks dude. I'm stoked to throw them on. So far I can tell you they were phenomenally packaged, arrived completely intact with a nice instruction manual. Couple big stickers as well. They are amazing stout. Very compact and really solid. In stoked at how much room ill have in the wheel well with these on.

16. Sep 6, 2013 at 3:03 AM
    jimbo808

jimbo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Debadged, Mbrp cat back turn down, Afe drop in filter, Icon extended travel, Light Racing ucas, Dakars, Icon 2.0 vs monotubes, 285/70r17 goodyear kevlar Mtrs, Morimoto Minis D2S' bhlm with blacked out bowls, Bamf Sliders, pelfrey single hoop front bumper, smittybilt X20 10k, pelfrey ifs skid, pelfrey trans skid, all pro rear with side plates, sway bar removed, front superbumps, Avec 20 inch light bar, rigid flood fogs
    lol those cvs dont look so happy

17. Sep 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    subd...:popcorn:

and dat droop...holy shit, were the UCA's hitting the struts the whole time?

18. Sep 6, 2013 at 3:41 AM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    Subbed.

19. Sep 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!

That's the exact same thing I thought when I saw the video. I hope mine don't move that much. I guess it's time to break out the gopro. BTW those ORI's look awesome. One of the guys in my club has them on his buggy.

20. Sep 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    The UCA cleared the ORI the whole time. Talked with Jerry about it. Never hit once. Those are a 10" stroke, so I'm thinking the 8" with a good mid travel setup should be just right. Alex got those so he could move to LT and not upgrade.

Products Discussed in

To Top