Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Jet ski questions.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: IS2(AW) @ NAS JAX
USNROBERTS's Tacoma Gallery
Jet ski questions.

Hey guys and gals,
I am looking at buying a jet ski and I'm kind of mind boggled by all the types and models. To add too it I was looking to buy used. So here are a few questions I had to any owners or previous owners...(+rep for best responses)
h
What is the advantage or disadvantage to 2 vs 4 stroke?
What year models started four strokes?
Is there any brand Or model I should steer clear of?
Is there any features that are a must?
What is considered low hours or a regular hours per year that is norm?
Are any models or brands known for their reliability or low maintenance costs?

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
bump!

i have been lookin in to gettin some in the next year or two
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
I highly recommend staying away from anything that's not Kawasaki or Yamaha!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Can't go wrong with Seadoo or Yamaha. Most lakes try to limit 2 stroke use since they pollute more or use to limit use.. I have only ridden a two stroke in my life so I can't compare the power but I'm sure the 4 strokes have more.

I'd search a ski forum for better answers.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
I highly recommend staying away from anything that's not Kawasaki or Yamaha!
x2 and get a 2 stroke stand up! Those sit downs are beyond boring in comparison lol. We have a '95 kawasaki 750 sxi which is my favorite and an '08 800 sxr which is a beast but is too big for my liking.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
x2 and get a 2 stroke stand up! Those sit downs are beyond boring in comparison lol. We have a '95 kawasaki 750 sxi which is my favorite and an '08 800 sxr which is a beast but is too big for my liking.
I agree 100%! Sit downs are like riding a couch! Get a stand-up!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Can't go wrong with Seadoo or Yamaha. Most lakes try to limit 2 stroke use since they pollute more or use to limit use.. I have only ridden a two stroke in my life so I can't compare the power but I'm sure the 4 strokes have more.

I'd search a ski forum for better answers.
I doubt it. That is certainly not the case with dirt bikes.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
I doubt it. That is certainly not the case with dirt bikes.
Well I figure more power from the 4 strokes or more revs from the 2 strokes. I could be wrong for skis but for dirt bikes the 4 strokes make more power. The 01 Seedoo 3 seater with a 2 stroke Rotax had plenty of power. Even with 3 people on it there was no problem getting up and going. Well no problem until we sucked up a small piece of drift wood and it got stuck between the blade and the wear ring.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
I have two 2000 Yamaha 2 strokes. One of them is finally going in to the shop to have the carburetor rebuilt. Not bad for 10 years of me riding the crap out of them. The 2 strokes require oil to be added in a seperate tank whereas the 4 strokes run straight pump gas and require oil change every so often. I believe the 2 strokes have better acceleration. Yamaha was still making the 1300R 2-stroke (2 cylinder) while they had other 4 stroke models in production for a couple of years. Now they are all 4 stroke (most of them 4 cylinder) because they are more efficient and produce cleaner emmissions. I'm no expert but thats what I can tell you.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #10

When I lived in Las Vegas and had to work on these things, they wouldn't allow 2 strokes at Lake Mead for a period of time. I don't even think Utah would sell 2 strokes. You may want to check and see if your area has a restriction on 2 strokes. Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
definetly seadoo as your first choice. what i personally really enjoy riding and have never had problems with are honda's PC (personal watercraft). they have a naturally aspired motor as well as the turbo charged one which I would recommend. it is a little heavier on the fuel consumption but the fun on driving that hugely outweighs the con!

oh and to add now seadoo offers ones that have a brake so that might be a great safe feature to look into!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Those are nice! I rode a stand up a couple times and it was fun as hell! I've always wanted one.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

haha what the hell bro you have every toy wana hang out?? haha jk

anyway why arent you coming to the 4corners meet?! 3 of us from town are leaving tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thread jacker use PM lol
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
OP: Do you live on the lake? If so, I would look into the stand ups. That way you can just ride it home when you get tired. If your towing it to the lake, sit down all the way. That way it will be more comfortable to spend all day on the lake. They are still very fun.

Any of the big brands will do just fine. 2 strokes are becoming obsolete due to the emissions. I think Yamaha was the first to produce a 4 stroke engine on their waverunners in 2002.

If buying used, try to find one that didn't belong to someone who lived on the lake. That usually results in less hours on the engine considering the loading/travel time involved. Also, check for salt water corrosion.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Never had a problem with our old Polaris when we had it.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #17

Actually will be on the river in jax. I'm not really into the stand up but I respect em. More of a redneck yacht club kind of guy. I'm looking at a seadoo rx and gtx 2001 ish. Unfortunatley they arnt 4 stroke so I have to look into the regulAtions around the area. Direct injection on the other hand I think is a must for me. I hate carbs solo bad lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco505 View Post
haha what the hell bro you have every toy wana hang out?? haha jk

anyway why arent you coming to the 4corners meet?! 3 of us from town are leaving tomorrow.
haha, anytime! I couldn't go up because of work. I just got a new job and I didn't have time to get the time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNROBERTS View Post
Actually will be on the river in jax. I'm not really into the stand up but I respect em. More of a redneck yacht club kind of guy. I'm looking at a seadoo rx and gtx 2001 ish. Unfortunatley they arnt 4 stroke so I have to look into the regulAtions around the area. Direct injection on the other hand I think is a must for me. I hate carbs solo bad lol.
I think a 4 stroke would probably be better than. I didn't realize all the laws about 2 strokes since they really don't care out here.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #19

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha, anytime! I couldn't go up because of work. I just got a new job and I didn't have time to get the time off.

I think a 4 stroke would probably be better than. I didn't realize all the laws about 2 strokes since they really don't care out here.
dang that sucks haha well next time man, im actually gettin ready to leave now gotta go meet the other guys before we head outta town!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
First off, what are you looking for?

Meaning: are you riding alone, or plan to tour with the wife and kids? Are you planning to learn freestyle tricks, or just cruise and tool aronund on something faster while alone?

Basically, shop in regards to your plan of use (commons ense there)....

So if you ask a guy like me, i sya get a good condition Seadoo RXP. The newer version of that is an RXP-X.....

I own an '05 RXP (2-seater). The RXT is a 3 seater.....it's a supercharged 1500cc 4-stroke. Rated 215hp stock and will GPS and honest 67-69mph bone stock (RXP 2 seater)....

With $2K in mods (sensible mods), I GPS'ed 75.9 with 1/3 tank of fuel in cool weather (Feb)!

This thing is a beast (a sportbike on water) and a white knuckle ride in light chop or hard turns. I plan to do a couple more basic things for handling to get to 78mph. With an aftermarket ECU and valvetrain, you will reach 80mph
This motor is hardcore.....runs hard all day and won't cry like a bitch!