Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

In a catfish tourney this weekend... Any tips?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Talking In a catfish tourney this weekend... Any tips?

In a catfish tourney this weekend... We are gonna be trying to catch the bigboys. I already got a few secret weapons going on.

Anyone have any good tips??? We are fishing a tidal river.

Something like this... lol
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
In a boat? Bank fishing?

If your in a boat, you could always pull plugs with dropper weights and ALOT fo scent if not using bait.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah were are in a boat... The channel is pretty deep, like 35 foot. And then there are back waters ranging 10 to 20 foot. We use mainly jigheads with livers and such.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::childstoy:: View Post
Yeah were are in a boat... The channel is pretty deep, like 35 foot. And then there are back waters ranging 10 to 20 foot. We use mainly jigheads with livers and such.
Seconds the chicken livers. Leave them out in the sun so they stink real good. Also, ground hog works good.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A 10 gauge shotgun
Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
yes liver is great bait for cats. After the liver use some fishbites to hold it on the hook works great:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
When i go for some cats i use a simple double rig.

I got this of just the fish bites and i was using my ultra light lol ( I was going for lil perch)
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Hi-Tech Rednek

I wanted to ask the TW world. Alot of ppl live in catfish country so I figured a few ppl would have some tricks up their sleeve. The bastards lke the nastiest shit out there so its never hard to catch them. But the big ones are sometimes hard to come by.

Ground hog... I could def see that working.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
I wanted to ask the TW world. Alot of ppl live in catfish country so I figured a few ppl would have some tricks up their sleeve. The bastards lke the nastiest shit out there so its never hard to catch them. But the big ones are sometimes hard to come by.

Ground hog... I could def see that working.
We used to use the GH to catch snapping turtles. We often ended up with as many catfish as we did turtles.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Hi-Tech Rednek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
yes liver is great bait for cats. After the liver use some fishbites to hold it on the hook works great:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
When i go for some cats i use a simple double rig.

I got this of just the fish bites and i was using my ultra light lol ( I was going for lil perch)
Thats a nice size catty right there. A few of them and I would be good.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats a nice size catty right there. A few of them and I would be good.
It was only about 28" but cought me off gaurd with the ultra light lol
Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #11

Marines:
Quote:
ultra lights + catty = fun fun fun
Old 08-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Hi-Tech Rednek

Quote:

Hahaha... Yeah i had an 10 lb'er last weekend on 6lb test... It took a lil to get him in. I started using a bigger rod. lol
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #13

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
weres the torney
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I like to chum for cats with.....live cats.
A few slices across the belly and a hook thru their spine like a shad for bass.
You can carolina or texas rig a kitty if your using a stiff enough pole.
Did I mention I hate cats?

Seriously...I would stick to what you know best. Cutbait always works. Shad, liver, blue herring. Rig it so that you have an egg sinker coming off a tri swivel about a foot off the bottom and a #? hook coming of the other tri about a foot so it's suspended.
We have MASSIVE cats cought here in South Carolina.
I have fished Cats at glendale resovior (printz Gallitzen) in clearfield co. PA with good results using this method.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #15

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I like to chum for cats with.....live cats.
A few slices across the belly and a hook thru their spine like a shad for bass.
You can carolina or texas rig a kitty if your using a stiff enough pole.
Did I mention I hate cats?

Seriously...I would stick to what you know best. Cutbait always works. Shad, liver, blue herring. Rig it so that you have an egg sinker coming off a tri swivel about a foot off the bottom and a #? hook coming of the other tri about a foot so it's suspended.
We have MASSIVE cats cought here in South Carolina.
I have fished Cats at glendale resovior (printz Gallitzen) in clearfield co. PA with good results using this method.
I use a very similar rig also..............the bottom part of the post I mean. Never tried the top.............. I prefer a #2 treble hook. Helps to hold the liver on.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Get one of the old crank phone, stick it in the water and crank it! Then you will have your pick of which catfish you want!!! haha
Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
Hi-Tech Rednek

Tourney is on the Delaware River (yeah I said it) lol.

Yeah we are gonna be chumming as well. I have some nasty old livers frozen in a block for our chum. Using a chum fish is a good idea too.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #18

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tourney is on the Delaware River (yeah I said it) lol.

Yeah we are gonna be chumming as well. I have some nasty old livers frozen in a block for our chum. Using a chum fish is a good idea too.
were at in the del. i might have fished there and can tell you what not to do lol
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Hi-Tech Rednek

Off of and around Tinicum Island.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #20

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
lol never fished there but its down river from philly.
Try a dead body