LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

I need Seamen

Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I need Seamen

Hey guys, i've been wanting a boat but with gas prices the way they are i'm leaning towards a sail boat. i found this one close by.....

http://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/753918584.html

what do you think? what do i need to look out for?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Heavy R will become famous soon enough

Heavy R's Tacoma Gallery
they say trades are acceptable, I'd offer up your sister and jar of toe nail clippings for that thing.

honestly though, it looks like a decent deal. Check the hull and deck for soft spots. If everything feels solid, go for it.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Heavy R will become famous soon enough

Heavy R's Tacoma Gallery
also, unfold the sails and check for wear. Sails can be expensive to repair/replace.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
nd, I've been thinking along those lines also. I know even less than you, but was thinking about a little one to learn on, putts around a lake a little where I can't get into trouble
Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
No idea how to sail. how hard can it be, you put up cloth, the wind hits it and you go. i'm sure i can figure it out after 10 or 12 beers
Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I see how it is, just because I have a boat that doesn't run, you don't want my advice...

sounds like a decent deal, but it also sounds like they would take $900 to get it out of their front yard.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
Do you know how to sail? If not, get a few lessons before you jump into the 20' sailboat...

Its an OK price for an old boat. If the interior is OK, it might be worth it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
No idea how to sail. how hard can it be, you put up cloth, the wind hits it and you go. i'm sure i can figure it out after 10 or 12 beers
yeah, it's easy. Sail downwind away from the coast for about 2 hours. By the time you get back, you'll be an expert!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy R View Post
they say trades are acceptable, I'd offer up your sister and jar of toe nail clippings for that thing.
I'd also add on 4 voodoo beans.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
yeah, it's easy. Sail downwind away from the coast for about 2 hours. By the time you get back, you'll be an expert!
Or be lost forever or until the Coast Guard picks you up!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
shhh! we were almost rid of him.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
alright nd, here's my deal. Come fix my boat (without the use of duct tape) and I'll learn you how to sail. Then I'll learn you how to sail drunk. Then I'll learn you how to best float.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what size it is so here's a Price guide

IF the boat is in average to good condition it counds like a good price.

Centerboard boats are handy because they're trailerable and of you happen to run aground you can get out and push her back to deeper water. The down side is that they're not as stable as a keel boat.

Important questions are:

Where will you be sailing? Small lakes and protected waters are great for small boats. It's amazing how small a boat suddenly gets when the weather turns rough.

Do you have someone who knows how to sail that can go with you?

How complex is the boat to rig? Some trailerable boats can be rigged by one person in 15 minutes. Others take several people... a while.

Will you add me to your insurance policy?

A short write up on things to look for that's pretty good:

There has never been a better time in history to by a buy a boat at least from the perspective of the potential used buyer. The reason for this is that there are simply so many used boats available to choose from today. This is because of the advent of fiberglass boat construction in the 1960’s which resulted in mass production of every type of power boat and sailboat, from small, open day boats to cruising yachts. Before fiberglass, boats were built of wood and if not meticulously maintained, did not survive to be passed down to several generations of second-hand owners. Having a wooden boat hand built was an expensive proposition, and consequently not many people could afford to buy pleasure boats. Fiberglass construction changed all that and made boat ownership possible for a lot more people of modest means, and the durability of fiberglass means that the used boat market is now flooded with cheap old fiberglass boats anywhere from 10 to 40 years old. Even large yachts can be found at bargain basement prices, if the new buyer is willing to invest some elbow grease in restoration.

As a guide to what to look for in a used fiberglass boat, as well as what to avoid, we will use a typical 25-foot family-cruising sailboat as an example. Such a boat has a wide array of systems in addition to the hull and deck, including sails, auxiliary engine, and electrical system and cabin accommodations. These general comments could also apply to smaller or larger fiberglass boats.

Such a sailboat, which might cost upwards of $30,000 dollars new at today’s prices, can be had for as little as $2,000 to $10,000 dollars used, depending on condition and the model. Here’s a list of what to inspect before making an offer on a boat like this:

Hull: If the boat is kept in the water, don’t buy it without first having it hauled out at a boatyard or on a trailer so you can inspect the condition of the hull below the waterline. Old fiberglass boats sometimes develop blisters in the hull skin and if the boat shows signs of blistering, it is best avoided as this can be difficult and expensive to repair.

Deck: Walk all over the decks of the boat to check for soft spots or flexible areas. This may be a sign of poor quality or poor construction, or it could mean the deck has absorbed water through the deck fittings and the inner core, which is usually of wood, is rotten. Lightweight construction can be reinforced, but a rotten core is another problem that is expensive and difficult to fix.

Sails: Sails should be inspected for rips and tears, as well as signs of patching. The stitches should be checked carefully, as they often break down in U.V. light, requiring the services of a sail maker to re-stitch them. The sails should be at least in usable condition, even if they might need replacing a few years down the road. If you buy a sailboat without good sails, there’s no way to take a "drive" to see if you even like the way the boat handles.

Mast and Rigging: Check the condition of the mast, boom and the standing wire rigging that holds the mast up. The wires should not have broken strands and should be free of rust; otherwise, you’ll be facing an expensive job of replacing them.

Engine: If the boat has an auxiliary outboard or inboard gas or diesel, it should start easily and run smoothly. Engines are a necessity on all but the smallest sailboats, even if they are only used for getting the boat in and out of marinas and under drawbridges.

Electrical System: Check the batteries for ability to hold a charge, look for improper wiring and make sure all electrical circuits have the protection of a fuse or breaker. Faulty 12-volt wiring has been the cause of many boat fires.
The above items are the most important areas to inspect. If you are spending more than a few thousand dollars on an old boat, it is worth your money to pay a qualified marine surveyor a few hundred dollars to evaluate the true worth and condition of the boat. A surveyor will give you a detailed written report outlining all deficiencies in the vessel that need to be addressed for seaworthiness and safety.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I should close this thread now. After Roland, it is only going downhill.

Great post Roland
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I should close this thread now. After Roland, it is only going downhill.

Great post Roland
X2
Im starting to hear the theme from Gilligan's Island...........
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #15

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Great post Roland, thanks for the reply. i think me and my roomie are gonna go in on it together and learn how to make it go. we'll be using it in the surrounding lakes. i believe it is a 20 footer. i dont understand alot of what is being said so maybe i should find someone that knows sailboats to go look at it with us. we are planning on offering 900 and willing to pay 1000 so it would only be a 450 to 500 dollar investment on my end. thanks again for your input. any chance you wanna fly (or sail) down to SC so you can ride to columbia with me to look at this boat?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see how it is, just because I have a boat that doesn't run, you don't want my advice...

sounds like a decent deal, but it also sounds like they would take $900 to get it out of their front yard.
yeah, you're boat doesn't run so i want your boating advice about as much as i want mjp2's off-roading advice we're gonna offer 9 and go as high as 1k

Quote:
we'll be on a lake so we'll eventually hit the other coast. at that point if we decide its too hard we'll just leave it beached with a note that says "if you can sail me, you can have me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
LOL... make sure your beers are in a soft cooler. It will be easier to hold onto one of those and the keel simultaneously when your boat is capsized in gale blown 5' chop.
i will be investing in a life raft as i'm sure we will figure out how to sink it way before we figure out how to sail it

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
wont be at sea so i dont hve to worry about the coast guard, but DNR will probably pick us up for either accidentally hitting their boat or trying to go under a bridge with the mast up and snapping it..... you name it and we'll prolly get a ticket or arrested for it. we get tickets from DNR all the time
Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what do you think?
I think your boat is gay. I also think those dark pink lines on the boat suit your personality.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
I also think those dark pink lines on the boat suit your personality.
i think so too. it symbolizes that i like girls, and also, that i am in touch with my feminine side and not afraid to cry..... like when i get hit in the balls
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i think so too. it symbolizes that i like girls, and also, that i am in touch with my feminine side and not afraid to cry..... like when i get hit in the balls
don't make me edit your post.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
don't make me edit your post.
why do you tempt me so much.....