Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

how big is your stick?.... Show your tackle off

Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Tampa OG
streetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the rough
Name: Rich
streetdriven's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to streetdriven Send a message via Yahoo to streetdriven
how big is your stick?.... Show your tackle off

Santa was good to me I bought myself 2 new rod and reels. First set up is a Team Daiwa Fuego 2500 matched with a St Croix Mojo Inshore 7'6" ML I love this set up so much. It weighs under 13oz total. The second is Daiwa Coastal Zililon matched with a St Croix Mojo Bass 7' ML this is by far the best set up I have ever thrown. It weighs right around the same 13oz.

Some of my other tackle is I have a Team Daiwa 3000 and 4000 with Teramar rods my tarpon set up as of now is a Quatium Boca 60 with a 7'6" Teramar but I have my eye set on the new Dawia Saltist 4500 matched with a nice star rod I found. I have 4 Penn penn 320 gti all matched with star rods the old trusty. But before I head down to Boca Grande this year I am getting myself a STTLD50 Saltist 1 speed open face.

I love fishing as much as I love my truck and my boat. Lets see what you got!

some of my boat I have a battery cable issue finally found out where the problem is just have to have a new cable made.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
TacoMagnum is on a distinguished road
TacoMagnum's Tacoma Gallery
Over here in Ohio we do a lot of river fishing for steelhead. For christmas i treated myself to a 13' G loomis GLX Float rod and a John Milner Kingfisher Center Pin Reel! Ill post pics later!

Love fishin...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Tampa OG
streetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the rough
that sounds sick! That is a baller setup man! Def get some pics I want to see
Old 01-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Tampa OG
holy shit I just checked out that rod its almost 600 dollars! I thought I went over board spending $400 on each new set up haha
Old 01-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
We do a lot of river fishin here in Blue Ridge (Trout Capital of Georgia). I mainly keep ultralights rigged with 6 lb test. That gets the job done on just about everything out of the river. I've had a 5' Berkley Lighting Rod for about 3 years now, with an Abu Garcia Cardinal C400UL reel, but the blank was startin to tear out of the cork (I've fought a lot of BIG trout on that sucker.) I taped it up and glued it, but I knew I coudln't go another summer fightin big fish with that thing. So, for Christmas I treated myself to a good old fashioned Shakespeare Ugly Stik 5', with a new Abu Garcia Cardinal 300ui. The Ugly Stik has a little more backbone than my Lightning Rod. Hopin to get to try it out middle of this comin week!

Also found a Bass Pro rod with a Shimano reel one day while floatin the river. Use it a lot for catfishin.

And got a Pfleuger fly rod.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Tampa OG
freshwater fishing is so much easier on tackle makes me jealous.

You cant go wrong with Ugly Stik almost impossible to break.

How big of trout are you talking about? I have only caught a few freshwater trout when I went to Alaska. But the ones I was catching were right around 10 pounds I had a blast.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdriven View Post
freshwater fishing is so much easier on tackle makes me jealous.

You cant go wrong with Ugly Stik almost impossible to break.

How big of trout are you talking about? I have only caught a few freshwater trout when I went to Alaska. But the ones I was catching were right around 10 pounds I had a blast.

Definitely not 10 lbs. The ones around here are pretty small, but a lot of fun on an ultralight. My biggest is 22" 6.5 lbs. Depending on what part of the river you're on, the size differs. Above the lake, the fish are a little bigger on average. Usually average around 16-18 inches up there. Caught a lot of 20-22" on that part of the river. Below the dam, there's A LOT of fishing pressure, and a lot of people keep about everything they catch, so they're a lot smaller. Average about 12" I would say, but I have caught several 18-20". You catch better quantity below the dam, but better quality above it.

Here are some pics.

20", couple of 19s, and I think a couple of 17-18s.

My big guy

Some cats

Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Tampa OG
oh shit! those are nice man. I bet dinner was good that night!

I bet those put up a good fight with light tackle
Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Your mom goes to college

One of the best fights I've ever had was a 19" Brown Trout at about 11 pm. We catch more big fish on the river here at night. Ultralight makes it a LOT of fun.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Tampa OG
I do river fishing here in Florida but mostly for bass and river snook. I caught my 24 pound snook right behind my parents house. I have seen Snook over 35 pounds but they are way to smart to hit anything you throw at them. My best friend Joe caught a 13 pound bass there too. Its called Anclote river
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I generally carry six rods:

5 graphite:

8 lb Loomis 6' 6" with a Daiwa Tournament 1300 Spinning Reel
8 lb Shimano 7' with a Daiwa Tournament 1300 Spinning Reel
12 lb Allstar 6' 6" with a Penn Spinning Reel
12 lb Allstar 6' 6" with an Ambassaduer 5000 Baitcaster BROKE THE ROD PICKING UP A 5 lb BASS, TIME TO GO SHOPPING
17 lb Falcon 7' 6" with an Ambassaduer 6500 Baitcaster

One fiberglass
17 lb Custom 7' 6" with an Ambassaduer 6500 Baitcaster

Fish out of the original 16' Carolina Skiff (Not the J model, mine is wider and deeper) in Tampa, Terra Ceia, and Sarasota Bays, the Manatee and Braden Rivers as well as trips to the Hillsborough River (28 bass the last trip) Lake Okechobee, Lake Cypress and the Stick Marsh, the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon. Haven't tried the Anclote but it looks very inviting when I cross it on US 19.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
In my gallery. Custom wrapped 13' heavy action surf rods, 4/0 and 6/0 reels filled with 60 and 80 lb mono.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
ben76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
ben76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do river fishing here in Florida but mostly for bass and river snook. I caught my 24 pound snook right behind my parents house. I have seen Snook over 35 pounds but they are way to smart to hit anything you throw at them. My best friend Joe caught a 13 pound bass there too. Its called Anclote river
You can get those big river snook to hit, but it's hard. I have found that they won't chase anything down when they are that big. You just gotta get a lure in front of them without spooking them. Most of my family grew up over on the Anclote river and a few of them still live there. From the golf course up to the bridge at Perrine Ranch is some good snook fishing.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
i got me plenty of bass rods newest edition is a corrot stick seven footer medium heavy with a ballin ass diawa bait reel forgot the specs of em both havent even tossed it yet im deployed
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It doesen't look like you need any more poles but if you like St Croix rods even the cheaper St Croix Triumph rods are nice at 69.00 dollars.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
I have been bass fishing my whole life. Started fishing tournaments at 11 years old and have been fishing them since (13 years). Over that period of time I have had many set ups. Currently I fish with 14 rods on the boat. Obviously cant use them all at one time but they all have their purpose. I will post pictures soon.