Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Buying a boat

Old 08-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
sAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud of

Air Force: 19 EMXS/MXMG
sAm I aM's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a boat

I'm in the market for buying a ski boat sometime here in the next 6 months and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any advice on what type of boat to get and when the best time to buy would be? I'm willing to spend about 20k on a nice boat but don't want to go overboard on things I won't need so if I can get one for my needs cheaper that would be great. Mainly taking the kids and lady out and doing some skiing, kneeboarding, and pulling a tube.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Are you buying new or used? If new look for boat shows in the area. We have one in Atlanta every year in the winter. Great place to see, touch, & climb on board all different boats. This way you can see the different brands & find the ones you like. Also they usually discount the boats more at the boat show.

http://www.boatshows.com/

http://www.boatshows.com/calendar.aspx

Good info for new boat owners:
http://www.discoverboating.com/beginner/default.aspx

Another place to look is boat trader.com for new & used boats.

Good luck,
Sean
Old 08-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dont skimp on the power. Everything is pretty cheap to upgrade to later, except a power head.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also where are you planning on keeping your boat?

Does your neighborhood have covenants against keeping it outside. Mine does. If you plan on keeping outside in the yard, You MUST GET a COVER. Keeps your boat nice & new.

I keep my 18' bass boat in my garage. My garage is 19' & I have to angle my boat. It takes up the whole garage. I did store it by the lake at a storage facility. Covered boat slip was $90 a month. At a marina forget it. Around my area at the marina in the water was $300 a month.

You will love owning a boat! In the summer I use mine for playing at the lake with a towable (too hot to fish). Good time to buy equipment for your fun is in the fall.Bass Pro or Cabelas have there stuff on sale. I picked up some new life vests(O'Brien) at bass pro for $29 normally $50.
You may also get good deals on skis,knee boards on ebay.
I would buy your accessories from bass pro, cabelas, boaters world. Or somewhere on the web. It will be much cheaper than the dealer.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery

Chris is correct!

Don't skimp on HP. At least a 150HP. Anything less and you won't be happy. I have a 175HP outboard motor. Ski boats are going to be inboard motors.