Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing

Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
tsub345 is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
tsub345's Tacoma Gallery
Fly Fishing

I just recently learned how to fly fish and as a result started to tie my own flies. anyone else out there tie there own flies that could pass on any advice or a good website (or two) for flies.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I was into saltwater fly fishing years ago. My old club's website is full of useful information:

http://www.aswf.info/multimedia/flytying.html
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

tsub345's Tacoma Gallery
Steelhead in the streams up north
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

tsub345's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad started tying his own flies when he began fly fishing and said he will never go back to live bait. He ties a lot of sucker spawn for up in Erie.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCateg...FddA2godc14T9A

This isn't a site on how to tie them or what colors to use. But you can look at theirs and base some of the ones you tie on theirs.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #7

tsub345's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks i'll have to check it out
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look for a local fly fishing club to join up with. They're gonna know more about the local waters, what patterns work there and how to tie them. The one around here puts on workshops and classes from tying and casting to cooking with dutch ovens.

I don't know too many websites on tying. I found books, magazines and dvd's to be good sources of information and patterns. Probably anything by Dave Whitlock is going to be a useful resource.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
I have been fishing my whole life. Now I think I am ready to learn how to fly fish. There are plenty of streams around me for trout. Cant wait until trout season btw
What little fly fishing I have done it is a blast, and a hell of a lot of fun to catch a fish on, no matter what size. Where you at?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Go to a local Fly Fishing shop, and ask if they are putting on any courses. I took an advanced course through a local shop and it was a good experience. I've been fly fishing and tying my own flies since I was about 8.

Go to a shop, ask around and go from there.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
dude trust me i've spends hunderds of dollars in tying supplies just to sell it all on ebay( but i have couaght a fish on a sow bug that i made- easiest pattern out ther). the flyshack has quality flies at extremly low prices. they have never dissipointed me.

oh and anyone fish the Middle Provo River in northern utah???
Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
dude trust me i've spends hunderds of dollars in tying supplies just to sell it all on ebay( but i have couaght a fish on a sow bug that i made- easiest pattern out ther). the flyshack has quality flies at extremly low prices. they have never dissipointed me.

oh and anyone fish the Middle Provo River in northern utah???
Yea it can get pretty expensive...
I have probably... $2000 in tying equipment and material... Two vises, a couple kits of scissors, hair stackers, hackle pliers etc, a custom made wood case/vise bench to carry a large amount of my gear... Lots of deer and elk hair in different colors, different types of hackle in different colors... I could go on and on. I need to organize it all again.

I lied, I have three vises.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzak88 View Post
Go to a local Fly Fishing shop, and ask if they are putting on any courses. I took an advanced course through a local shop and it was a good experience. I've been fly fishing and tying my own flies since I was about 8.

Go to a shop, ask around and go from there.
Yeah I did that at a private stocked trout lake fishing resort. I am going to try it this summer or late spring. I am excited, going trout fishing tomorrow got everything ready today.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsub345 View Post
I just recently learned how to fly fish and as a result started to tie my own flies. anyone else out there tie there own flies that could pass on any advice or a good website (or two) for flies.

MY DAD he also just started to fly fish but has been hand tying flies for sale also he does salmon and steelhead jigs will give his e-mail so you can link up with him for pictures lessons some of the material he uses and such i cant tie a little but his compared to mine shoot lol nobody i reapeat nobody ties like my ol man
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
The best place to buy flies/equipment is local shops IMO. Cabelas and other big-name retailers screw over the cool little fly companies. You'll spend more money, but the flies will be much better quality than the cheaply-tied ones, and you will soon become a favorite in the shop, the guys who work there will take you out with them, and other hook ups. If you want the best fly fishing in the world, come to Wyoming. Trust me
Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 AM   #18

tsub345's Tacoma Gallery
My father-in-law's girlfriend has a brother that lives either in Wyoming or Montana and she said i could go out and stay with them if i wanted to fly fish out there.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
redex is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
redex's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this guy,he's probably as good as they come.Persevere with the accent as he's a scotsman like myself.However as a fly tier myself,( although due to my eyesight I don't tie much anymore) I can tell you his style is simple,methodical and one of the best I've seen.He has all kinds of videos on u tube and if you follow him,you'll be a fly tier in no time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjy93...eature=related
Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #20
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsub345 View Post
My father-in-law's girlfriend has a brother that lives either in Wyoming or Montana and she said i could go out and stay with them if i wanted to fly fish out there.
Both have world class fishing. The Blackfoot river in MT is great, and fishing in Yellowstone is superb, if you know where to go in order to avoid the swarms of tourists. I was lucky enough to work in Yellowstone last summer and got to go explore secret fishing spots every day after work. If you have the opportunity to come out, do it!