Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Trout fishing with mice

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
Let's see some fly pics if ya have em! I want to see that shrew pattern.
It's finlly gettin warm enough here now, so I"ll be breakin out the mouse here pretty soon. Found a nice mouse fly at the local Unicoi shop so I'm thinkin about goin and gettin it. Like I said, I'm not a huge Fly fisherman, but I might give that fly a try.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #22
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden2 View Post
It's finlly gettin warm enough here now, so I"ll be breakin out the mouse here pretty soon. Found a nice mouse fly at the local Unicoi shop so I'm thinkin about goin and gettin it. Like I said, I'm not a huge Fly fisherman, but I might give that fly a try.

Nice, I've shopped there! We vacation in Blue Ridge a few times a year, usually staying on the Toccoa River.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #23
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, never would had thought a trout would eat a mouse. After watching the video and seeing a gutted fish full of them, I believe it now.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #24
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be heading to north GA this weekend to go trout fishing, will have to try to tie one up before I leave or hit Unicoi and see if they have one.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #25
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
I'll be heading to north GA this weekend to go trout fishing, will have to try to tie one up before I leave or hit Unicoi and see if they have one.
Where you goin?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where you goin?
Got about 25 of us that rented a House on Lake Burton so we'll try Burton and of course Wildcat, Tallulah, the Hooch. Burton is kinda hard to fish so maybe the mouse pattern will work a little better.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #27
2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Andrew
2KTacoPr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
gonna order a mouse lure off of cabelas for my spinning rod in about 2 weeks. gonna test it out at the river. but it looks more like a bass lure to me with the two big hooks
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #28
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KTacoPr3runn3r View Post
gonna order a mouse lure off of cabelas for my spinning rod in about 2 weeks. gonna test it out at the river. but it looks more like a bass lure to me with the two big hooks
Yea, that's what mine looked like, too. I still haven't used it at night yet. I had somethin strike at it a little while back, but it missed it. A guy I know actually caught a 24" brown on a small creek up here a couple weeks ago and it had 2 mice in its belly.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #29
2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ya idk ive never heard of any trout eaten mice here in california but im always lookin for somethin new to try
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #30
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
here's something to try. heddon made a "meadow mouse", it actually looks like a mouse. don't know if it's still available,and don't know how it works. made more for bass, but maby worth a shot.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #31
ya that looks a lot better than the one i was gonna buy. and has treble hooks that are smaller than the two giant hooks on the other one. think ill give that a shot
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #32
Your mom goes to college

Finally had a chance to swing by Unicoi this morning and pick this up...

Picked that up and hit the water for a while today. Didn't throw it where I was at, but I did catch a 16" rainbow and my buddy caught an 18". Not too bad.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #33
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTEI do a little fly fishin, but not a lot. I'm mainly wantin this for our night trips. We float down the river at night and it's kinda hard to fly fish from our little boat, especially at night. So I'm really wantin somethin to use on the spinnin gear.[/QUOTE]

No matter how much fly fishing you do/don't do, you've gotta try this. It's my lil brothers gig.

http://www.ontheflyfishingcharter.com/

He put a guy on a 600 + lb mako
Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #34
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Finally had a chance to swing by Unicoi this morning and pick this up...

Picked that up and hit the water for a while today. Didn't throw it where I was at, but I did catch a 16" rainbow and my buddy caught an 18". Not too bad.
That's an awesome tie...I might have to try and replicate it myself.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
KeithRhody is on a distinguished road
Name: Keith
KeithRhody's Tacoma Gallery
They have mouse fly fishing patterns. orvis.com and they will hook ya up on some big brown trout.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #36
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
how well did/dose this work. i trout fish all the time. got a river 5 min from my house with allot of rainbow.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #38
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
I have in MT fly fishing. Big hits. I haven't caught anything huge but they know what it is they are coming up to hit.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #39
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
(Sorry, I'm responding to an older thread)

A few years back I was fishing the Madison River and noticed a mouse running along a lip about a foot above the water. As I watched I saw the mouse slip and land in the river. It wasn't 2 seconds later before a huge brown trout slammed it hard and took it under. These large trout know what a mouse is and will hit one. A mouse fly would work I'm sure but I've never tried it.

I've rapala fished the Madison quite a bit and occasionally I've had a large brown hit the lure the second it hit the water before it started to swim. This tells me that the fish are educated to something larger falling in the water and becoming food.

Fly fishing mimics natural food and if a mouse is on their diet then they will hit it if the presentation is correct.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #40
Your mom goes to college

Forgot about this thread. I've thrown a mouse on the spinning rod a few times. Didn't get any action. I tried throwin the mouse on the fly rod and almost got attacked by a bat. Haven't been able to have a night trip again since then, unfortunately. When my buddy comes home from Charleston I think we're gonna try for another night float.