LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Trout fishing with mice

Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Trout fishing with mice

Anyone ever tried fishin for big trout with mice, live or artificial? I've heard several people say you can get a big brown to hit at night by throwin a mouse. If so, was it fly fishin or spin? What kind of mouse did you use? I've been lookin for a lure to try, but they all look like bass lures and I'm not sure the hook setup on a snagless lure would work on a trout.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
i dont fly fish but i am almost positive you cant use mouse "flys" or even find them it has to be spinning reel. this is interesting
Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha thats funny right there...i was thinking rat i guess
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It takes a while to get started, but they're using mice in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4pOO...layer_embedded

And here's a mouse fly

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ELAID=70573041

I do a little fly fishin, but not a lot. I'm mainly wantin this for our night trips. We float down the river at night and it's kinda hard to fly fish from our little boat, especially at night. So I'm really wantin somethin to use on the spinnin gear.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Your mom goes to college

(Bump)
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Your mom goes to college

Well, I bought one of these suckers. Just got it in today. Gonna try it out asap. Really wantin to hit the river at night, but it's still too cold down here at night to get out on the water, so that'll have to wait for a while. I took the 2 blades off the back and put on treble hooks. I don't think the big hook would work too well for trout.

http://store.optimumbaits.com/produc...2.0.0.0?pp=25&

Attached Thumbnails
Trout fishing with mice-x1_bbb3560410756966f1a2940778dc0495.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
tacoeater will become famous soon enoughtacoeater will become famous soon enough
Name: Johnny
tacoeater's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I have definatly heard of using mice. In fact, that is what the guides around here use to catch the big browns.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoeater View Post
Yes I have definatly heard of using mice. In fact, that is what the guides around here use to catch the big browns.
Yea I've heard of a lot of people catchin the big ones on them. Know if they're using live or artificial?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Yes! Wayne Von Burger " Joy of Fishing " Fly fishing in the NW using a Mouse fly pattern. My dad and I use a small baby shrew(small mouse) pattern for Cutthroat and Bull Trout, seems to drive the lunkers insane! and they slam the mouse!!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Still...

That mouse looks great. Can't wait to see how he works for you.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden2 View Post
It takes a while to get started, but they're using mice in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4pOO...layer_embedded

And here's a mouse fly

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ELAID=70573041

I do a little fly fishin, but not a lot. I'm mainly wantin this for our night trips. We float down the river at night and it's kinda hard to fly fish from our little boat, especially at night. So I'm really wantin somethin to use on the spinnin gear.
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing that man!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Your mom goes to college

I haven't had a chance to get out there and try it yet. I got a mouse lure for the spinning rod, but haven't picked up one for the fly rod yet. From everything I've heard from people around here, it's more of a night time bait. I'm gonna get one for the fly rod when the weather starts gettin better and try it out. I'll post some pics if I can get anything. I've been tearin em up lately on Rapala F7 rainbow colored. 3 rainbows over 19", 1 21.5" and my buddy caught a 20.5" on one, too. We'll see what happens when it gets warm enough to float at night.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Time to break out the fly rod.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the flick Eastern Rises. Fly fishing with mice in Kamchatka in eastern Russia. Those rainbows pretty much live on mice, they even dissected one with a duck head in its stomach. I haven't tried it but I hear there are some folks around my area that do really well with lake run browns at night with mice patterns, plan on giving it a try this fall when they run again.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
years ago, caught a brown trout that had what looked to be a mouse in its stomach. try this for a spinning rig. get a small BLACK jitter bug,paint the front blade black,and the hooks black. fish with it at night. I have talked to several people that use this. also, any LARGE dry fly should work. I knew one guy who fly fished a local river at night and had pretty good luck. it's known that big browns feed at night. I also know a guy that caught a big brown, at night, on a hula popper. could be one in a million, but worth trying. GOOD LUCK !
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1 View Post
Check out the flick Eastern Rises. Fly fishing with mice in Kamchatka in eastern Russia.

Yes!! Have you seen the Joy of Fishing with Wayne VanBerger? He is a host from the NW, but recently took a trip there. The show is always on Espn and Espn2.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Let's see some fly pics if ya have em! I want to see that shrew pattern.