Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Ground wire to boat trailer...

Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
dexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Ground wire to boat trailer...

Would using a stainless steel self tapping screw into the side of the trailer and some crimp connections work for grounding to the trailer.

I have not had the trailer inspected yet and want to make sure this was ok.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about grounding the wiring on the trailer?

Then yes, that should be fine. I would place a few more on the trailer too. It never hurts to have too many grounds. Make sure you grease the connections with some di-electric grease to prevent any corrosion.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
You might have to sand down the paint to bare metal for a good contact, I had to on mine. +1 on the dilectric grease.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosabre View Post
You might have to sand down the paint to bare metal for a good contact, I had to on mine. +1 on the dilectric grease.
You should ALWAYS sand down to the bare metal for any ground connection.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
You should ALWAYS sand down to the bare metal for any ground connection.
x2, I didn't grind the paint when I first wired up my jet ski trailer and the lights were having a siezure lol. Ground off some paint and put the screw back on and all was good.

If you really want to get fancy you could hard wire the ground but thats a bit overkill in this situation IMO.