Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Opinions on best new outboard

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on best new outboard

Hi all, I recently purchased 19'6" classic aquasport. Very nice boat but now I need a new motor. I don't want to spend more than 10k and need a 150 hp. Gonna be used in saltwater. Which manufacture do you recommend as far as performance and value. Yamaha mercury Suzuki Honda or what? Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think you can go wrong with a Honda or Yamaha....
Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha FTW!!! i have a 115 on my flats boat! its a beast!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha, Suzuki or Evinrude. The evinrude is my favorite but the 4 strokes arent bad except for maintenance.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I thought the 4 stroke was supposed to be low maintenance
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
4 strokes actually require more maintenance than 2 strokes, they need oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. With emissions how they are its getting harder and harder to buy 2 stroke engines.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Honda all the way! That's what we have for our 14 footer. Reliable and efficiently, just like their cars.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #9

Bump
Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
4 strokes actually require more maintenance than 2 strokes, they need oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. With emissions how they are its getting harder and harder to buy 2 stroke engines.
Also 4 strokes don't have as good of a hole shot as 2 strokes.

My 1991 Mercury 175 has been a great motor! I've had it & the boat six years.

Have you looked at remanufactured motors? You can get a much better deal & they come with warranties.

Years ago I found a company that sold remanufactured motors & always wondered about them. Then I stumbled on the same company selling them on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/1outboard-REM...TBOARDS?_rdc=1
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard nothing but good things about the Evinrude E-Tecs and know a few people who have repowered with those rather than going 4 stroke. I'd probably go Yamaha for a four stroke. You could go with a Mercury Verado in a 150 too, although I don' t know too much about them. And probably not going to get one for under 10k. A 150 in general may be a little stretch at that price although I haven't really priced new outboards much. I have a 2001 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke on my 18' Sea Pro. It's been good when the carbs aren't getting gunked up. I'd probably replace with a 115 E-Tec if I had to repower right now.