Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing Rod Holder

Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Rich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant future
Rich11's Tacoma Gallery
Fishing Rod Holder

Greetings!
I've been lurking for a while and figured I'd give back on my first post. A few weeks ago as the weather started to break, I wanted to take my new truck fishing and needed a rod holder. After some thought and visits to a few local stores I came up with this. Hope you guys and girls enjoy it. I must say, I got lucky in the paint color match.

Fishing Rod Holder-3.jpg
This simple rodholder from Walmart was $14. I selected it because of the 2 screw holes. I wanted this thing to hold on tight. I went to Ace hardware and got 2 stainless steel bolts that had a large head to fit in the rail when tilted but would hold when screwed in. Same place had the cool looking black knobs. They fit perfectly! While at it, I wanted something to support the bottom 2 holes. Same place had screw-on rubber chair leg feet stopper things or whatever you call them.

Fishing Rod Holder-1.jpg

Screwed the rubber feet in for bottom support in the bottom 2 holes. Came with stainless steel screws to boot. I tightned the top 2 knobs and away I went. Super tight fit, looked good and held 3 rods. Its removable and can fit behind my seat if I needed to take it off in 3 seconds. Fits anywhere along the rail.

Fishing Rod Holder-2.jpg

Oh, best part! Walmart carries this paint.
Fishing Rod Holder-4.jpg
It is made for plastic. It comes in a metallic grey. SAME AS MY 2011 TACOMA ! I really got lucky with that part. But if you look around you can find any color to match your truck.

TIPS so you dont LEARN THE HARD WAY.......
~Let paint dry for A WHILE. Once its dry, it wont come off of the plastic.
~Stainless Steel parts are a must.
~Clean rodholder before painting
~LET PAINT DRY ! Dont rush to mount it......Trust me !

Total cost, just over over $25.

Hope you enjoy'd my first post....
~Rich~
Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good first post....Welcome to TW.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man! i might have to go and do this because im always just throwing my rods in the bed of the truck.
+1 for you sir
welcome to TW by the way hope you enjoy it here
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
red2last is on a distinguished road
red2last's Tacoma Gallery
that looks good.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
SATXguy is on a distinguished road

SATXguy's Tacoma Gallery
That's really cool and creative! I might have to copy your idea!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
NoviceFisher is on a distinguished road
Name: Albert
NoviceFisher's Tacoma Gallery
I had pretty much the same Idea but made mine out of pvc pipe and mounted it the same way. I would really like to use the rod holder you found at Walmart but can't find it. is there a part number or name to help me find it. Thanks, hope you see this soon.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceFisher View Post
I had pretty much the same Idea but made mine out of pvc pipe and mounted it the same way. I would really like to use the rod holder you found at Walmart but can't find it. is there a part number or name to help me find it. Thanks, hope you see this soon.
Found this on Walmart's website. Looks identical.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaSense-S...older/16778820
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I just made these the other night for when I am back down in the OBX so I do not need to break rods down all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Rod Holder-dsc02081.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder-dsc02082.jpg  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
Found this on Walmart's website. Looks identical.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaSense-S...older/16778820
That's what he said in the OP

Great work on the 3-rod holder! I just got a couple of those expandable hard cases from Bass Pro Shops so that I can throw them into the bed and not worry about rod breakage. Plus, I can stack gear on them or keep them extended and just lean them up against the tailgate for my 7'+ rods.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
That's what he said in the OP

Great work on the 3-rod holder! I just got a couple of those expandable hard cases from Bass Pro Shops so that I can throw them into the bed and not worry about rod breakage. Plus, I can stack gear on them or keep them extended and just lean them up against the tailgate for my 7'+ rods.
But the person I quoted had trouble finding it on Walmart's site. Merely helping a brotha out

EDIT: Oops. Now that I look back, I think he was referring to the actual holder/bracket. My fault!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Mick71 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mick
Mick71's Tacoma Gallery
Now available in black

I found an identical looking rack at the local West Marine last fall. The best part was it was already black. No painting required!

I couldn't find the cool knobs and feet the OP used, so mine is not as slick. However a couple bolts, washers, and wing nuts work pretty well on mine. The rig holds my surf rod well.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to do this. Especially since the J hook idea doesn't work so well with a short bed... -_-
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
ToddWilki is on a distinguished road
Name: Todd Wilkinson
ToddWilki's Tacoma Gallery
This really helped me out. Using this idea!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
ksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kenneth
ksmoove757's Tacoma Gallery
What size bolts and parts did you exactly use?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
ksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kenneth
ksmoove757's Tacoma Gallery
I'm at ace hardware right now clueless what to get..smh
Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
blcassidy59 is on a distinguished road
blcassidy59's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3-rod holder from cabelas. I am trying to attach it to the front bed rail slide system. Any ideas would be great.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
blcassidy59 is on a distinguished road
blcassidy59's Tacoma Gallery
oops. wrong link. Its similar but its the Cabela's model.