LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

canoe/kayak rack options w/shell

Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
whiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Supply SGT
whiskey101's Tacoma Gallery
canoe/kayak rack options w/shell

So I got a double cab, short bed with ARE shell on the bed and the shell was a craigslist deal without a rack on top. I love to boat and I need to find a way to keep from having to haul boats on a trailer.

Does anyone know if I can add a rack to the topper safely?

What other options should I look at? I have been thinking about going custom fab. I have a stainless tube ladder rack that was made to fit an F150 that I might could cut down and make work, just not sure where to start.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Rocknroll is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Rocknroll's Tacoma Gallery
Whiskey101, What did you end up doing? I am looking into a set up to load canoe/kayaks as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
whiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Supply SGT
whiskey101's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't done anything. I did learn that if I want to install a rack, it can get dicey. There are two layers of fiberglass with a soft foam between them and you have to make sure you put the bolts through at the right spot or you get leaks.

I decided to just get some of the foam rooftop blocks for now.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
whiskey101, If you have a rear tow hitch, here is an option, "Extend-A-Truck" for your application you would need both front and rear tow hitches and two of the extend-a-trucks. Yes, they make a front hitch. With front and rear hitches, you carry the kayak overhead, like ladder racks on your roof without touching your truck. You will see in photo what I am suggesting. Also "HarborFreight" has a less expensive version of the extend-a-truck ($55). If you have access to a welder, you can easily make your own out of 2x2 and 2-1/2 tubing.

With one extend-a- truck you could carry your kayak half in the bed of your truck, half on the support arms.
Attached Thumbnails
canoe/kayak rack options w/shell-extend-truck.jpg  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
whiskey101, If you have a rear tow hitch, here is an option, "Extend-A-Truck" for your application you would need both front and rear tow hitches and two of the extend-a-trucks. Yes, they make a front hitch. With front and rear hitches, you carry the kayak overhead, like ladder racks on your roof without touching your truck. You will see in photo what I am suggesting. Also "HarborFreight" has a less expensive version of the extend-a-truck ($55). If you have access to a welder, you can easily make your own out of 2X2 and 2-1/2 X 2-1/2 tubing.

With one extend-a- truck you could carry your kayak half in the bed of your truck, half on the support arms.