Factory roof rack 1 33.33%
Fishing rod mounts 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Mikes07toy is on a distinguished road
Navy: ABF2 (8 yrs, 3 mo)
Mikes07toy's Tacoma Gallery
Rod/Reel rack install on Factory roof rack

This is a Thule #45058 CrossRoad rack installed on to the Factory roof bars. It is currently setup for 4 Spinning Reel/Rods and I will add 2 Conventional Reel/Rod mounts to the far outboard sections in the future. The tubes are 2" white PVC with Black Rubber coating and a rubber bed inside the tubes to smooth out the fasteners that attaches to the lower tube stabilizing brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Rod/Reel rack install on Factory roof rack-hpim0931.jpg   Rod/Reel rack install on Factory roof rack-hpim0932.jpg   Rod/Reel rack install on Factory roof rack-hpim0930.jpg  
Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, how long did it take? Is it regular pvc like what you would get from Home Depot? I know the initial cost of the Thule rack is the only expensive part but overall it looks like a sturdy, well built, and most importantly very useful rod holder.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Taco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant future
Name: j
Taco4Fish's Tacoma Gallery
I use the yakima fat cat 6 SKI RACK, it has a rubber pad that the poles get clamped between, you can also lock it and cant remove the rod unless you bust off the guides. But my fishing poles are 13ft and about a 1.25" thick so thats why the racks can get a firm mount to the pole.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a multifunction guy so I use 2 bedrail cleats and a couple of buckle straps to lash a couple of rod/reels together and they just hang from the bed rail cleats inside the bed. For rods longer than the bed I just leave the buckle strap looser on the rod end where the rod ends up angled over the top of the tailgate. Nice setup here on the roof racks too. Also multifunction action. Diggit.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Mikes07toy is on a distinguished road
Navy: ABF2 (8 yrs, 3 mo)
Mikes07toy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Toughtaco, I used sch40 pipe from Home Depot, 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar bent to go under the crossbars and fastened with all Stainless hardware. The tubes have 7.25" spacing to allow 6 rods once 100% finished with a total time of about 14 hours labor. I use 6'6" and 6'9" rods on my boat which is 40 miles and 1 hour away and this setup gives me bed room for coolers and gear. Tested to 70 mph on the Freeway with no rattle or noise.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I dont fish that far away. I have 3.... 7' one piece rods that stick out of the back of my truck when I put them in the bed. As long as they are secure I would do something like that. I like that it looks like you bought the kit especially with the rack. I like it.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
timmah is on a distinguished road

timmah's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thats a really great set up, can you take some closer pics so I can see more detail. That would be great. Im guessing I can set it up with my Yakima racks. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Just a suggestion, cover your reels when traveling. Road grime and what ever else is in the air will get in the reel and gunk it up. Its not even a good idea to leave your rods and reels on the front deck of a boat when traveling. Routine maintenance is very important for the life of you reels. Every 6 months or more often depending on the amounts of tournaments im fishing I clean my reels. I break down all 10+ of my reels to a bare frame to clean them and re grease and oil the gears and bearings.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
^^ Nice, its that time of year right now for me. The spools wont drop line til spring but I do grease the gears. I end up doing that like 4 times during fishing season anyway.
My Fishing season is year around. If you clean your reels once you need to keep doing it because if your like me i put barley enough grease to see helps with casting distance. I soak my bearings and gears in mineral spirits to clean them.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
ToyTaco79 is on a distinguished road
EMS: paramedic
Name: Nick
ToyTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
this is the exact set up I have been thinking about doing! after braking my 7' rod last year from stuffing it in my bed I really need to build a rack for this spring.

I to would like to see some closer pics if you wouldn't mind showing them.

gr8 job btw