Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

pounds thrust vs. hp

Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
pounds thrust vs. hp

I'm getting a little jon boat here shortly and want to throw a little motor on there. I'm not looking at anything too fancy. It will be for doing some fishing in lakes and maybe some rivers.

So my question here is, how will an electic trolling motor (something like 55lb thrust or 80lb thrust) compare to a 2.5hp outboard? My main concern is if the electric trolling motor will provide enough power for a 10' jon boat. Approximately how fast would each of the electric motors go? Approximately how fast would a 2.5hp move the boat?

Thanks guys! I dont know a lot about this stuff.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the gas motor. You will triple your range over the trolling motors and achieve 10-11 mph.
With the trolling motor you would be lucky to achieve 3-4(right around walking speed).
Also,if you're trying to go up current with the trolling motor, good luck.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

especk's Tacoma Gallery
fishntaco, thanks for the info! and what is a good brand for that size motor? Mercury, honda, yamaha? and what is an estimated price I should expect to pay for one?

edit: and wouldnt the 80lb thrust motor move the boat quite a bit faster than the 55lb?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend the yamaha for the motor. We had three of them and put over 1000hrs on them with 0 problems.
As far as price you should be able to find one for 8-900 dollars.

Thrust does not necessarily equate to more speed. Prop size and pitch play a much larger factor in either acceleration or top speed. The 80 would probably be a little faster just because it has a little bit larger prop but not enough to make a difference.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Nothin' Special

especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
I would recommend the yamaha for the motor. We had three of them and put over 1000hrs on them with 0 problems.
As far as price you should be able to find one for 8-900 dollars.

Thrust does not necessarily equate to more speed. Prop size and pitch play a much larger factor in either acceleration or top speed. The 80 would probably be a little faster just because it has a little bit larger prop but not enough to make a difference.
thanks! i just got off the phone with one of the dealerships and they said the 80lb thrust motor would be too heavy because it takes 2 batteries. I may just go with a 55lb thrust for now and then get a 2.5hp later and use the 55lb as a troller. I'll look into Yamaha. Thanks for your help.

And if anyone else has any input, that would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Nissan 15hp 4-stroke from this place, http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohat...Outboards.html. The Nissan moves my 14 foot Alumacraft Crappie Jon 15 mph.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha or Mercury....stay farr farr farr away from anything else.

Me personally..love my yamaha..always have. always will.

Plus my sisters dad works with one of the top yamaha mechanics in the south east
Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha only!