Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

6hp on a 3hp max jon boat 1032?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
6hp on a 3hp max jon boat 1032?

I'm lookin at a 6hp Yamaha outboard for my little Lowe jon boat. It's rated at 3hp max. I was wondering what would happen if I put this bigger motor on?

The 4hp and 6hp have the same weight at 60lbs and is only a few hundred bucks more.

Thanks guys (I'm still new at this stuff)
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
vtmactech's Tacoma Gallery
I've "over powered" jon boats before with no negative effect. 9.9hp on a 6hp rated jon boat. Crazy fast for what it was. I think it is a safety concern though. Here in Va, you can get also get a ticket for running too large a motor beyond the rating of the boat.

If it was me, I'd put a 3hp sticker on it and go fishing.

This is of course theoretical non advice...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmactech View Post
I've "over powered" jon boats before with no negative effect. 9.9hp on a 6hp rated jon boat. Crazy fast for what it was. I think it is a safety concern though. Here in Va, you can get also get a ticket for running too large a motor beyond the rating of the boat.

If it was me, I'd put a 3hp sticker on it and go fishing.

This is of course theoretical non advice...

I'm pickin up my brand new Yamaha 6hp outboard tomorrow!

The main thing I heard is that the sheriff may give me a ticket for it. I also heard some talk about it damaging the transom but mostly I heard this is BS.

I'm gonna take a look at the sticker and see if I could scrape it off and put a 3 on there

Thanks for the response man.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
I'm pickin up my brand new Yamaha 6hp outboard tomorrow!

The main thing I heard is that the sheriff may give me a ticket for it. I also heard some talk about it damaging the transom but mostly I heard this is BS.

I'm gonna take a look at the sticker and see if I could scrape it off and put a 3 on there

Thanks for the response man.

I've actually seen one break off the transom and drop to the bottom of the lake. No bueno. But, that was a substantially bigger motor than what the boat was rated for. Like...25 horse on one rated for 6...(I don't remember exactly what it was, wasn't my boat, just saw it happen).
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I think it has more to do with insurance. You can't increase the rated Hp and still insure the boat. The water cops probably will not mess with you too much.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
85okhai's Tacoma Gallery
you could always try to take off the plate that has the rating. water police usually dont pay attention to that. ive taken the plate off of a 17ft flats boat so i could put a 200hp on it
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah my pontoon boat has a 40, is rated for a 60, and i want a 90.... just insurance wont cover the boat.

my boat goes like 13
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
ToyotaPartsMan is on a distinguished road

ToyotaPartsMan's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha on my 12' Lowe Jon boat. Rated for a 6hp Max. have almost 50hrs on it now not a single problem. Love it quiet, smooth and starts on the first pull everytime. Have fun.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Especk, what lake did you take those pics on?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden2 View Post
I've actually seen one break off the transom and drop to the bottom of the lake. No bueno. But, that was a substantially bigger motor than what the boat was rated for. Like...25 horse on one rated for 6...(I don't remember exactly what it was, wasn't my boat, just saw it happen).
Hehe, we did that. We beefed up the transom and threw a 25 horse motor on a little Zodiak. It was incredibly touchy but if you got calm spot on the lake where you could open it up a bit it would plane beautifully!