Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Advice on restoring my Jon Boat..

Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
That's prolly for a perfect, ultra-clean sandblasting job.
It's expensive unless you can catch them already mobilized on a jobsite somewhere and make a deal.

Put 'em up on your "guide-ons" where they are out of the water. They will live longer.

If you're going to stay with the little tires and wheels, get a spare.
Also make sure you clean and re-pack all your bearings with water resistant, boat trailer bearing grease.

I try to keep my bearings out of the water when I launch my boat.
Hot bearings will suck water into the hubs if you submerge them.

Yeah and Im gonna get one of those wire brushes and sand the trailer that way. It wont be professional, but it'll be the best i can do.

Yeah i got submersible trailer lights and thats where i'll put them.

I will buy some grease next time im in Walmart.

Thanks for the responces.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
get ready for this: go to- tinboats.net wealth of info.on there. sort of like a boat TW. have fun!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Update time!!

So me and my buddy got a ton of stuff done

-Sanded additionally
-Primed and Painted the trailer
-We also painted the Wheels black to match the look(the pics with the wheels on will be up tomorrow)
-I also today ran the wires for the new submersiable trailer lights.(finishing tomorrow as well)

I am very pleased with how everything is turning out so far!

PICS!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

just thought I'd mention this: DO NOT use any pressure treated wood on aluminum; if you'r going to do any mods to the boat. also must use self etching primer on any bare aluminum, before painting. follow my advice, go on tinboats.net and read through posts. unbelivable amount of info. on there. lots of ideas.

trailer looks good!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Update time!!

So me and my buddy got a ton of stuff done

-Sanded additionally
-Primed and Painted the trailer
-We also painted the Wheels black to match the look(the pics with the wheels on will be up tomorrow)
-I also today ran the wires for the new submersiable trailer lights.(finishing tomorrow as well)

I am very pleased with how everything is turning out so far!

PICS!

Looks good !
Let's see those bunks.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
looking really sharp man.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Alright so i've got tires and lights on. All i need are the boards on and ill be ready to go fishing... almost.

I have no idea about where to put these boards exactly. I have new carpet to put on the boards. the thing is i forgot where it used to be before i ripped it all off. we broke one of the board in half taking everything off so thats why that one board is in the middle. The holes that the man drilled do not match up anywhere where the middle of the trailer is. Im not completely sure about what to do from here. Im hoping someone can give me some vital insight. We wont be fishing till about mid February so i have plenty of time to experiment and such.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #28

don't know exactly what you'r asking but will try to help.
2 boards, on side guides, look like they're carpeted? carpet should be toward boat. leave a little bit of clearance between them and boat, maby an inch or so. they're only guides and will keep you close enough to center.
should only need 2 carpeted bunks for boat to sit on, placed between ribs on bottom of boat.
not sure, but 3'rd board may have been a walker (used to walk on, to back of trailer, to hook up boat) also placed between ribs and don't have to be carpeted. hope this helps!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #30
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
That trailer came out really nice, good job! If I were you, even with the submersable lights, I would unplug them from the harness before I backed in to the water. I blew out my wiring system and it was a pain to replace it. By unplugging them before you back in and plugging them in when you get back you might save yourself some trouble down the road.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Update time!

Well i figured out how to get the boards on.

Now its on to the boat itself now.

The carpet needs to be redone and the ghetto wood thing on the front has got to go..

Tips anyone?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
Dwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of redoing my 14ft John boat right now! The previous owner built a massive deck in it and it is extremely heavy. So I got to tear it out and redoe the carpet. Also I need to sand and paint the trailer like you did. Its a lot of work! But yours looks real nice! When you rip the carpet out there will be a glue residue left over, I'm going to start off with a pressure washer to remove the loose stuff but I'll prolly have to resort to a scraper.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #34
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Yeah the carpet on my jon boat needs to go as well. I also need to repaint the inside of it as well as it looks patchy in places. He also rigged some pulley system so he could pull the anchor at any position on the boat which i though was clever. the rope snapped :/

Good luck on your rebuild and post some pics of the boat!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #35
Jojack is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Jojack's Tacoma Gallery
Just a few things for ya. I know you are done with your trailer but if you tackle something like that again, ospho and a grinder wheel will help you out tremendously. As for the inside of your boat. Replacing the carpet is no big feat. Id recommend using liquid nails to adhere the carpet and be generous around the seams. This will help keep you quiet while on the water, however if you choose to paint inside or outside of boat, clean it very well. Preferably with a pressure washer. Then I find that tide laundry soap works wonders on prepping aluminum for paint. Removes oils etc. John deere implement paint is some good stuff that likely will hold up to several years of hard fishing. If nothing else use that as your base and use spray for camo if that's what you want. Finally. Clear coat the hell out of it! It will protect the paint! Good luck and hope you catch some fish!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #36
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
For the boat I would use Parker Duck boat paint. It holds up very well. We use it on all of our aluminum boats for duck hunting and have never had a problem with it. You can use this as your base coat before you camo the boat. I would paint the entire boat with it inside and out. The camo part is up to you as to how you do it. There are stencils for realtree patterns and they are pricey or you could use some of the cheaper patterns out there. We usually make our own and use parker paint to rattle can the stencils.

The paint:

http://www.cabelas.com/waterfowl-bli...t-gallon.shtml
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #37
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Are you planning on leaving the current paint on the boat and just repainting over it??

I just snagged a 12ft vhull aluminum boat and the multiple layers of paint are in poor poor shape and i'm trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to get it all redone

I'm not looking for a show quality look...i just wanna paint the thing and get it back on the water and not have the paint wear off by the end of the summer
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #38
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Are you planning on leaving the current paint on the boat and just repainting over it??

I just snagged a 12ft vhull aluminum boat and the multiple layers of paint are in poor poor shape and i'm trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to get it all redone

I'm not looking for a show quality look...i just wanna paint the thing and get it back on the water and not have the paint wear off by the end of the summer
To be completly honest, the boat has a couple patches where work would be considered, but for the moment on my budget, repainting would be a no go for now.

The paint on the boat atm is in pretty good shape.