Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Grumman Canoes

Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Grumman Canoes

Does anyone else own or know anything about Grumman canoes? I bought one today via craigslist and thoroughly enthused about it. It is a 17 foot square stern model. I am trying to pinpoint the year it was made. The seller tells me it was made in the 50s. I tried looking up the serial number with no luck other than the last digits indicate the length and there is potential in the other letters and number to indicate the year it was made. I like the fact that I have something that has potentially been around 50-60 years and still going strong and can only imagine who has had it and what they have with it before me. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I do not currently own a grumman, but have paddled a couple of aluminum 17' ers over the years. They are certainly solid. We leave those babies lying in the bush by remote lakes for 20 years on end and they function unaffected.

Can't help ya with the serial# thing though. Curious why you need to know the year of manufacture?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
just trying to figure out how old it is that's all...just to be able to say its X years old and still kickin
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
and yea this thing looks as if it has weathered a few winters...looking to refinish it with a coat of paint and what not...the new ones retail for 1500 and i got mine for less than 300
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you call these guys. They will tell you

http://www.marathonboat.com/grummancanoes.asp
Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaniels View Post
and yea this thing looks as if it has weathered a few winters...looking to refinish it with a coat of paint and what not...the new ones retail for 1500 and i got mine for less than 300
a smokin deal. You put a little 4hp on that thing and it'll race down the creeks
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
apparently their records end in the mid 80s....but yea its rated to 5hp and 800 pounds of load....i figured an electric trolling motor might be in the works
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Bush Pusher

Quote:
apparently their records end in the mid 80s....but yea its rated to 5hp and 800 pounds of load....i figured an electric trolling motor might be in the works
electric is nice and quiet for fishing.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
yea..but in my great state of New Jersey...any motor on a canoe and or boat, electric, gas etc requires it to be registered which i would not enjoy having to pay for....a canoe does not have to registered unless it has a motor on it...see how money goes and invest from there....def. want to strip it down to bare aluminum and repaint it
Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Bush Pusher

Quote:
yea..but in my great state of New Jersey...any motor on a canoe and or boat, electric, gas etc requires it to be registered which i would not enjoy having to pay for....a canoe does not have to registered unless it has a motor on it...see how money goes and invest from there....def. want to strip it down to bare aluminum and repaint it
Licencing for an electric trolling motor? What a cash grab!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
yup this state is good for that....useless fees and taxes that do nothing but make the lawmakers wealthy...moving to Wisconsin as soon as I graduate college