Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Spearfishing & Abalone Diving

Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jeep View Post
I dive everyday all summer long. Been building up my free dive time. Gotta love my job
Dive for a living huh? Navy? Off shore? Welder? Don't keep us in suspense...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
sydwayz04 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
sydwayz04's Tacoma Gallery
yes it is hard being land locked, will probly fly back to atleast dive a couple times a year, ncuh puts on a great ab tournment at ocean cove thats always a blast, will probly come back for that and possably the opener. yes u are a ways away but there are plenty of people on the web site that are always carpooling up from your area and people are always looking for buddys to dive with. well dive safe and have fun out there maybe someday i will see u out there

diving... the second best wet pleasure :-)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
I dive along the Sonoma Coast a few times a year. Sometimes camp at Ocean Cove. Some good diving a little South and North of there. Haven't speared fish since my 20's, just pop abs. Been thinking about picking up a spear gun though.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
I dive along the Sonoma Coast a few times a year. Sometimes camp at Ocean Cove. Some good diving a little South and North of there. Haven't speared fish since my 20's, just pop abs. Been thinking about picking up a spear gun though.
The farthest South I have picked abs is probably VanDamme State Park. You ever make it up to the Fort Bragg area? Russian Gulch is probably our new favorite dive. Easy access (no repelling), great rock formations for spear fishing, and a lot of decent and consistent abs for the last two years. There are trophies out there, and they are very deep.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I grew up in Bermuda. My father and I would dive for UNI(sea urchins) for the local asian shops. I miss it and sadly where I'm at locally, I haven't found anyone into it. I need to go back down south.
There are large urchin beds around Mendocino were we dive, and out shellfish license allows us to take them, but we never have and no one we know dives for them either. Fish and game heavily regulates illegal commercialization of sportfishing and couldn't sell them if I wanted to. I like uni in my sushi, but I have never prepared it myself. I might have to look into it a little, I am always looking to get the most out my fishing license and time in the water.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Beaver Believer

Love warm water; but my home, heart, and passion is in cold water. Between my vest and suit, i'm around 11mm around my core.

31450 Bay View, Fort Bragg, CA 95437
http://m.google.com/u/m/df9p5h

This is our house and we literally put our suits on and repel off of the private cliff right in front of the house.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Wow! Thats a great piece of property. I had to walk quite a bit when we lived in Bermuda to get to the water.

Cold is not my thing...
We have a few places that we have to hike a little over one mile (fully suited) one way to reach the water, and you are pretty dang tired by the time you get down the cliff. Then we have another place that we have to swim close to a mile ust to get past the shallow reef and into the deep water. Opening ab season was last weekend, but the water was crazy rough. It looks like we are trying to plan a trip this next weekend.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #28
You're a towel...
enil01 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Airframer
Name: Kevin
enil01's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully, if the weather plays along, I'll be going out tomorrow after work. I'm bringing all my stuff with me in the morning so I can jump right in the water.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #29
You're a towel...
enil01 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Airframer
Name: Kevin
enil01's Tacoma Gallery
Got bored today while it was pouring down rain and tried an idea I've had for a little while. I'm thinking the little bit of red will draw out the predatory fish sort of like using red hooks on a lure. Any thoughts?