Notices

Loading a kayak onto the roof with a cap

Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
cjcarner is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Colin
cjcarner's Tacoma Gallery
Loading a kayak onto the roof with a cap

Alright, so I wasn't exactly sure where to ask about this... but here's the issue:

I have been thinking about picking up a cap for the truck. I currently have a toolbox which has suited my needs. I usually keep my dog in the backseat with a seatcover, but also have a cage that's easy to strap into the bed for him so he can travel that way. I like the idea of a cap for secure, dry storage, and the ability to just toss my dog up there and not worry about his ridiculous shedding in the cab.

What I'm worried about, however, is loading up my 60lbs+ kayaks onto my roof rack with a cap on the back. Normally, I'll put the kayak onto the bed rails, hop in the bed, and load it that way. With a cap, I'd have to accomplish everything from the side of the truck. Does anyone else have this kind of issue? How do you load the top of the truck when you have a cap on the back? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield19 View Post
Stand on the tires, or the door frame.
^^^ also close the back door of cap and stand on tailgate
Old 05-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Army:
Quote:
Stand on the tires, or the door frame.
Thought about it. I'm not a weak guy, but lifting a 60-70lbs 13' kayak over your head is difficult. Balancing it is the biggest problem.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Army:
Quote:
Or invest in a set of drywaller stilts lol.
Ha. Developers are building some townhouses near me and were putting up the drywall the other day, and even THEY didnt have stilts. They stood on two overturned paint cans. Didn't seem stable. Or safe.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
When you get your cap , get it with a rack and load the kayak onto that from the tailgate
Old 05-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
When you get your cap , get it with a rack and load the kayak onto that from the tailgate
Hmm. Didn't think about that one. Smart, I like it. BTW I love your build. Yours was my inspiration for doing a cap with a mild lift.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Get a Thule SlipStream rack, and load it from the back of the cap.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcarner View Post
Hmm. Didn't think about that one. Smart, I like it. BTW I love your build. Yours was my inspiration for doing a cap with a mild lift.
Cool , thanks

I'm happy with the rack set up I have , you can also get dedicated kayak supports for most rack systems
Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I load mine from the side onto Thule crossbars which seat into a Thule Track system. Mine only weighs about 50lbs and because my yak is flat on the bottom (catamaran style) I them just strap it down. I stand on the tires and tailgate to place and tighten the straps.

Depending on your style of yak you may want a specific kayak J-cradle or saddle that attaches to the crossbars. Yakima makes the "Hully rollers" which are designed to assist in loading from the back of the vehicle as does the previously posted Thule SlipStream
check this out --> http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...yak-racks.html
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcarner View Post
Thought about it. I'm not a weak guy, but lifting a 60-70lbs 13' kayak over your head is difficult. Balancing it is the biggest problem.
Unless you find that kayak at the edge of the road you should of ask yourself that question before. Now, there are all kind of systems, rollers,
12v electric assistant for lifting you-re boat in top of the toper.
And always can sell it and buy a Kevlar boat at 32-35lb.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had a channel on top of the cap with towers & load bars.
The channel made the towers adjustable.
Open tailgate, close cap door, nose of kayak on tailgate, climb up onto the tailgate. pull/lift onto rear load bar glide forward tie down.
Repeat for the other side.
Depending on where I had the rear load bar, I could just prop it all the way up.
The glides or rollers are nice but pricey.

The side loading gizmo thule sells costs big money.