Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Mark's Catamaran Rebuild

Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Mark's Catamaran Rebuild

My dad picked up this early 80s Prindle 16 last summer for under a hundred bucks in hopes we get it fixed up pretty cheap and have a fun little sail boat. We didn't get much done with it before summer ended so we stored it and waited to work on it next summer.

A pic of it last summer on my old taco

Well next summer has arrived and its time to make this bitch sail. After looking at it closer I realized that there is almost NOTHING in the boat that looks like it fits right or should be there, on top of the huge list of things missing or broken. It will take a lot of work to get this thing in the condition where it can sail well. I told my old man this, and that I thought it was a pile and just too much work and that it would be too expensive, and not wanting to admit defeat he didn't care and said he would make this thing work even if it costs a grand. So basically he is going to buy parts and I am going to figure out how to fix it and make the dam thing work.

*Note: Neither of us have any idea what we are doing. I have sailed small boats a few times a long time ago but we have almost zero experience with cats.

A list of what is wrong (that I can think of off the top of my head):

-Missing boom (ordered a used one last year we think will fit) DONE
-Dry rotted and falling apart trampoline (not an immediate priority)
-Jib sail zipper broken
-Missing entire mainsheet block DONE
-Most ropes are dry rotted and useless DONE
-Needs all new hardware for entire rudder/tiller system DONE
-Missing mast ball DONE
-Needs new halyard wire
-Missing mast head wheels DONE
-Missing trapeze harness (not an immediate priority)
-Probably missing jibsheet block mounting points (haven't figured out that one yet)
-Trailer Lights don't work DONE
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's Catamaran Rebuild-resampled_2011-09-24_14-19-06_468-1-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Picture of the rigging once it was untangled, it all appears to be here and it works thank god

The mast is up

We got this boom last summer, and still dont know it it even works or stays in the mast right...awesome!

A plethora of parts has arrived the last few days

Lots of little pieces of hardware to rebuild the rudder system, new shackles, mast head wheels, mast ball. There were some things wrong with the order and some missing things, and some extra things we didn't order...like the 11" metal rod called a "dolphin striker rod". I have no clue what that is or where it could possibly go, so a few thinks will have to be worked out with the company that shipped it all.

The mainsheet block arrived today , a beautiful 6:1 for a great deal!

If anyone on this site knows anything about sailing please let me know, i would like to ask a few questions when i become stuck, frustraded and clueless. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's Catamaran Rebuild-resampled_2011-09-23_19-12-45_325.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
Nice score! Looks like you guys are getting a good start on that cat. Please lmk if you need any help, I am long-time sailor and used to sail a hobie 18. Those prindles are fast, I've been on one about 4 years ago with two kids and we hauled ass. Check out http://www.thebeachcats.com/ for rigging advice, parts ect. A good tramp and harnesses will soon be a priority depending on what kind of shape the tramp is in (no huge tears and you'll be fine). I dont know where you will sail, but if you got good wind you'll want to be on the wire (trapeze), especially solo. The main concerns with bargain boats are the hulls (soft or not) and the sails, which look great from what I can see. You got a steal bro even if you dump $5-900 on parts. Oh, and dont make a mast bobber a priority, in the meantime you can use a milk jug or a giant soda bottle sealed and ran up the mast. I've flopped a bunch of times with a milk jug and had no problems sinking the mast (turtling). Have you sailed before?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds0912 View Post
Nice score! Looks like you guys are getting a good start on that cat. Please lmk if you need any help, I am long-time sailor and used to sail a hobie 18. Those prindles are fast, I've been on one about 4 years ago with two kids and we hauled ass. Check out http://www.thebeachcats.com/ for rigging advice, parts ect. A good tramp and harnesses will soon be a priority depending on what kind of shape the tramp is in (no huge tears and you'll be fine). I dont know where you will sail, but if you got good wind you'll want to be on the wire (trapeze), especially solo. The main concerns with bargain boats are the hulls (soft or not) and the sails, which look great from what I can see. You got a steal bro even if you dump $5-900 on parts. Oh, and dont make a mast bobber a priority, in the meantime you can use a milk jug or a giant soda bottle sealed and ran up the mast. I've flopped a bunch of times with a milk jug and had no problems sinking the mast (turtling). Have you sailed before?
Hey thanks man! As far as the tramp goes, its completely shot and dry rotted. Every time I walk on it it tears a bit more. We are taking it out for its maiden test sail Sunday to see if it even floats. The biggest concern we have is with 2 people on the tramp just having the thing rip out from under us and the boat running us over. If all goes well and it floats the tramp and harnesses are next to be ordered. Have I sailed before...kind of, a long time ago. We had one for about half a summer 6 years ago when we lived on the east coast. But even then I didn't sail much and haven't done it since so while I got the basics of how to trim the sail and use the wind I am pretty much as beginner as you can get. It will be very entertaining.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
HAHA! It sails for the first time in 20 years! Everything went better than expected. The only issue was that I was afraid I was going to fall through the trampoline. It would not last another sail before the whole tramp just ripped out.

Looks nice. No jib? Gotta be tough to tack with no jib.

I know I've seen tramps for hobies on ebay, not sure about prindles though.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had one of these, my brother gave it to me when he got divorced. I did alot of repairs on it since he never took care of it. I ended up selling it to a guy who saw it in my yard and made my an offer. I never had a chance to sail it. Nice job