Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Anyone rebuild their carburetor?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone rebuild their carburetor?

I have a 2000 Johnson 50 that was handed down from my grandpaw. It sat for a few years after my dad tried getting it fixed a few times. The mechanics couldn't figure it out. Somehow I got it running good for the most part.

Now, I do have one issue. The motor sounds as if it is flooding after idling 2-3 minutes. If you "gun it", the motor will run great. Idle for a while and it will want to turn off... speed up and it's fine. From my research, it should be float in the carb that needs cleaning/replacing.

I ordered 2 rebuild kits. $17 online for a OEM Johnson rebuild kit.

I am a very hands on person and I would like to try doing this myself, but I don't really know where to start. I know what the carb is and where it is. I figure it is pretty straight forward with the diagram.

It would cost me $175 with tax to get the carb rebuilt. Is this a task I should just pay for or can someone like me clean / rebuild these?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
ive messed with a few motors not that new though but if its carburated it should be about the same. Have you tried adjusting the low speed needle a little. I would think that might take care of it if you havent messed with it. But if you need to take it off a rebuild it, it should be mounted with two nuts remove those and any other linkage you see and it should slide right off, then its pretty simple from there take it apart clean the hell out of it with carb cleaner, if anythings really tough to get off soak it in gas or b-12 chemtool, then reassemble following the diagram. but make sure you understand what is what in the diagram a few kits ive gotten before are very poorly drawn and have bad description for what goes were as far as gaskets and washers/ o rings all apearing the same in the picture but arent labled.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
With it's age and never being cleaned out, I am assuming it will be gunky with all this ethanol.

I may give it a go this weekend and hope for the best.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #5

jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I did that over the weekend. Didn't help. Has 2 carbs, so you have to keep doing it to both over and over and over.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
If dual carbs, you will need to sync the carbs.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
what i was talking about as far as confusing, was like parts 31 and 30,
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
I found a good video for my Rochester 2bbl carb for my Mercruiser on Youtube. Saved me tons of $$$$ and I learned a lot about my boat's motor. A case of beer and about 2 hours time is all it took me to totally rebuild and wash the carb.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
I've rebuilt a few carbs before .
Buddy's katana 750 4 carbs
My quad single
Old dirtbikes

Just make sure you clean them very good . Blow them out with a compressed air
And you will need a carb sync tool or you can make one. Check YouTube
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
I've rebuilt a few carbs before .
Buddy's katana 750 4 carbs
My quad single
Old dirtbikes

Just make sure you clean them very good . Blow them out with a compressed air
And you will need a carb sync tool or you can make one. Check YouTube
Hrm
Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
Hrm
I'm not sure what that means but I'm guessing you don't know how to sync carbs . There's tons of videos on YouTube or just google it .
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #12

jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I was going in confident with the rebuild but I didn't know about the syncing. I may just pay the guy to do it. $175 to have everything done doesn't seem so bad. He said it would take him 2 hours to completely rebuild them.