Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Kayaking nooooob

Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Kayaking nooooob

so i've been thinking lately that kayaking looks fun, and it looks like something i should definitely try out. any advice for noobs? i've already started to look into classes and such. i assume they make kayaks for bigger people. i'm 6' 200lbs.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
TheSloth has a spectacular aura aboutTheSloth has a spectacular aura about
Name: David
TheSloth's Tacoma Gallery
What type of kayaking are you wanting to do? Whitewater, ocean/sea, or just recreational? There are usually paddling clubs in urban areas that are worth checking out. If you are wanting to do whitewater or ocean, classes should definitely be considered. Recreational kayaking can pretty much be done by anyone with a little canoe experience - same basic skills. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
i was thinking recreational. right down the road from me in apollo and saltsburg are areas to enter the river for kayaking etc... i've heard it is pretty tame in most places, but some are pretty intense. i would be avoiding those areas for a while lol.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
I started out on a pursuit 100 made by pelican, not a bad little boat. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs so if I fit so do you. I have a cheap paddle and nothing else really, though I do bring rope with me. Maybe get some bike style gloves or so to avoid blisters when paddling, I dont use any but I know people who do.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
I started out on a pursuit 100 made by pelican, not a bad little boat. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs so if I fit so do you. I have a cheap paddle and nothing else really, though I do bring rope with me. Maybe get some bike style gloves or so to avoid blisters when paddling, I dont use any but I know people who do.
funny you mention that boat...someone is selling one right down the road from me for $90, says its in real good shape.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
funny you mention that boat...someone is selling one right down the road from me for $90, says its in real good shape.
I find it very stable, keep in mind its not that fast though. go check it out. I have fun in mine, and just to fool around its fun. I want found I outgrew it though. Now I want to get a sea kayak and one for rapids. I read somewhere that an advanced kayaker took a pursuit 100 down class 3 rapids, I don't know if I would do that but he said it went very well considering ts not meant for that.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
bongwhisperer is on a distinguished road
bongwhisperer's Tacoma Gallery
take the lessons, rent a few, get a hobie mirage...