Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Sea Kayak + soft camper

Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
tacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacobot's Tacoma Gallery
Sea Kayak + soft camper

Ok, I've searched but admittedly might have missed this topic and apologize in advance if that's the case!

I just got a new-to-me 2005 AC.

I am about to trade my sea kayak for a longer one, 17' or maybe longer. Stuffing it flat in the bed or leaning it isn't an option.

I don't want a hard camper shell on my truck bc I don't have enough people around to help put it on and take it off when I need to haul a moto.

I'm scouting for a soft/removable/foldable camper shell (the prices were surprisingly high IMO) and have realized they aren't all compatible with all removable racks.

I went to a couple places to look at the removable/adjustable pillars from Yakima but I don't think these are compatible with any of the soft campers? I looked at the Can-Back with the rack but looks like they aren't making them right now?

Is my best (maybe only) option a Softopper with a removable US Rack? I'd be willing to drill and do a more permanent mount of a rack if I had to, as long as it works with a soft camper/topper or sticking a moto in the bed... but I really only just need to haul a lightweight kayak a couple times a month or less so having a heavy-duty permanent rack isn't needed.

If you guys have other ideas (or ideas of what *not* to do) please let me know! I read much of the kayak thread but it looks like most of y'all have ww kayaks.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
hdearing is on a distinguished road
Name: Hal
hdearing's Tacoma Gallery
I carry some large OC-2 canoes and offshore SUPs on my Tacoma DC on a regular basis. If you do not want to install anything permanent, you can use the goal post style rear rack from either Thule or Yakima and use a foam block and straps up front. The goal post mounts in your trailer hitch and should not interfere with any type of topper you intend on using. This set-up is very secure with the straps being close to the bow and stern of the kayak.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
tacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacobot's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for replying. I'm going to look into this idea tonight. There are lots of those hitch-mounted ones for sale on my local CL too... I saw you got the Xporter; it's a cool setup.

I want to SUP or surf more, but I need to move somewhere a little warmer for a little better motivation! Haha
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
my father in law has a jeep with a soft top, and they have a rack that goes on top of it where he puts his kayak. looks like this:

maybe have a fab shop do something similar?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

tacobot's Tacoma Gallery
^ the Softopper/US Rack combo works like that Jeep setup, I think?

http://www.softopper.com/us-truck-cap-rack-details.aspx

Thanks for the ideas. I've been looking around online finding yet more ways to spend my money. Haha. I'll post pics once I figure this out and buy all the parts.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Autozone (others) sell ladder racks that are in kits that bolt together, two pieces for front and rear. They don't connect front to rear like a real lumber rack. I welded a plate, drilled holes and attached them using the rail system. Real easy to put on/ take off as needed. Something like this should work with a soft topper in the down position. I saw a set brand new on Craigslist in SF Bay area a few weeks ago for $99, and it was a slightly better design than the ones I bought. I'm using mine to attach some plywood for a dog shade.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
yea man if you want a soft topper and you want a rack over the bed, just buy their rack.

I have a soft topper on my bed and a thule rack on the roof of my double cab.. thats always an option for you too.

I have a wilderness systems tempest 17' long kayak which I haul on a J style rack. I don't even bother with bow and stern lines.. its solid even at 80 mph for extended periods of time with cross winds.