LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing: Do you like the whippy Kencore rods?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Fishing: Do you like the whippy Kencore rods?

I find these rods the flimsiest, yet toughest light rods I've ever seen.

Very sensitive to just nibbles.

i got ultralight 4 lbs test on a 4-6 lb rod.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I use Loomis rods with Daiwa reels for my spinning tackle in 8, 12 and 17 lb ratings that are usually used on the flats, my 7'6" Falcon has an Ambassador 6500 on it and I have several other bass rods from Falcon, Loomis and Shimano with Ambassador 5000 series reels on them.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Gloomis rods are bad ass i have used ambassador6500 reels to one of my top catches was a 30lb yellowtail that took a good amount of time to bring up.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
I use Loomis rods with Daiwa reels for my spinning tackle in 8, 12 and 17 lb ratings that are usually used on the flats, my 7'6" Falcon has an Ambassador 6500 on it and I have several other bass rods from Falcon, Loomis and Shimano with Ambassador 5000 series reels on them.
X2
Loooomis!!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
I like st croix rods + quantum PTS reels
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
x3 for G.Loomis rods. I fish GLX's mainly, but I have some GLII's that are better than most any other brands. Plus, lifetime warranty.

And I fish Shimano reels exclusively. Shimano was a gear manufacturing company before they started making fishing equipment...that's why their reels are soooo much smoother.

I used to be a Diawa man (team Diawa and X series), but their stuff has gone straight downhill in the past 10 years, IMO.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
I used to be a Diawa man (team Diawa and X series), but their stuff has gone straight downhill in the past 10 years, IMO.
I use their older Tournament (1300, 1500, 1700) series exclusively. Some of their new stuff feels too wimpy for me but the drag on the Tournment series stays nice and smooth even when the fish takes a long run.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
I use their older Tournament (1300, 1500, 1700) series exclusively. Some of their new stuff feels too wimpy for me but the drag on the Tournment series stays nice and smooth even when the fish takes a long run.
Yeah, that's some good stuff right there.

I'm the same way with curados. I know they make newer, nicer reels, but there's just something about em.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
am i the only one who likes ugly sticks? Im not particular to any brand reel either, as i have quite a collection of them
Old 01-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of on the same topic here, I was a Penn Fan until I got my first okuma reel for christmas, it's like the Shimano Bait runner. It casts farther, spools the line like a dream and has been a jem to use for over a year, as far as rods go, Loomis and st croix are TOO RICH for my blood. I've found some nice rods from hurricane and actually Diawa that are down right nice.I still use my Penns off shore and surf fishing but in the intercoastal it's Okuma first and a penn as my secondary setup.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
am i the only one who likes ugly sticks? Im not particular to any brand reel either, as i have quite a collection of them

I have bought two of them, one for the surf and one for the intercoastal, my surf rod is great, but the smaller one for the river is just too ....stiff, and not enough eyes on it. More eyes cast better and distribute the load along the rod better. I replaced it with a Wally world Berkley special. The surf rod has hauled in some big sharks and is over 10 years old now I still love that setup.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
Kind of on the same topic here, I was a Penn Fan until I got my first okuma reel for christmas, it's like the Shimano Bait runner. It casts farther, spools the line like a dream and has been a jem to use for over a year, as far as rods go, Loomis and st croix are TOO RICH for my blood. I've found some nice rods from hurricane and actually Diawa that are down right nice.I still use my Penns off shore and surf fishing but in the intercoastal it's Okuma first and a penn as my secondary setup.
Well, if you consider the lifetime replacement warranty, it kinda takes the sting out of the cost. IMO, this is what makes the GLII such a bargain. It's a premium rod, at just a shade above premium cost, and it's top-notch quality (just not as light-weight as a GLIII or GLX). If it lasts forever, it was worth the money. If it beaks and you have it replaced for free, it's a bargain. (2 cents)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Ask for forgiveness than permission
ShorelineFab will become famous soon enoughShorelineFab will become famous soon enough

ShorelineFab's Tacoma Gallery
OMG, dont get me started on Tackle!!! Be here all night long and than some..
I'm a tackle Whore!!!

I'll go with Loomis for fresh water!