Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Your thoughts on "Flossing" fish (salmon/steelhead )

Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #41
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Just as was said, the fish in his way to spawning grounds will not eat and the only method to take them is flossing. You have to convince the fish and game guy that the fish took you-re hook. If snagged anywhere else you have to let it go. Now, this works only so far up the river. Later on its migratory journey the salmon goes through a lot of changes. The mouth of it gets elongated, the meet takes a white color and is not pink like it was in the ocean. At this point isn't good anymore.
Of course a lot of people still use it, but not those who know.
"Most" times, the flossing takes place in the upper stretches of the river (or near spawning grounds). When they are in the lower sections or still early in their migratory path, lures such as Flatfish/Quickfish/jigs, spoons, spinners, etc all work by essentially aggravating the salmon enough to where they will strike the lure. These techniques will all work at any stage of the salmons adult life. Even using the actual salmon roe is a great method to catch salmon and steelhead.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #42
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Do you guys have a native ( First Nations ) fishery on this salmon run ?
For the most part, the salmon that have been traveling through the CA river systems have been doing so since (who knows, ages). Their biggest obstacles now are dams. With the steelhead here, there are native or as we call them "wild" fish and hatchery fish. However, to some, both now could almost be considered non native since they have the possibility to breed with hatchery fish.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #43
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
For the most part, the salmon that have been traveling through the CA river systems have been doing so since (who knows, ages). Their biggest obstacles now are dams. With the steelhead here, there are native or as we call them "wild" fish and hatchery fish. However, to some, both now could almost be considered non native since they have the possibility to breed with hatchery fish.
Sorry , I meant Native Americans , First Nations , Indians
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #44
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry , I meant Native Americans , First Nations , Indians
Whoops and yes up north in CA on the Trinity and Klamath rivers there are. Not so much where I am at. The whole native fisheries though is another heated debate in the fishing world.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #45
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The whole native fisheries though is another heated debate in the fishing world.
Same here
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #46
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Lol @ the Klamath fishery... "Native" American decsendancts destroying things up there.

As for sockeye up here we're having a perfect storm for sockeye - commercial fishery is going to be shut down due to a horrible King run, and the
sockeye are already coming up in huge numbers.

I've worked in hatcheries in CA and I'll say the general consensus from DFG members is they don't like lining, but unfortunately for you Jay, as long as they bring the fish in and the hook is in the mouth and the bait/lure is legal there is nothing you can do. But if someone is snagging on purpose, or they drag in a belly snagged fish and bonk it in hopes that no one is looking I hope you give them hell.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #47

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Lol @ the Klamath fishery... "Native" American decsendancts destroying things up there.

As for sockeye up here we're having a perfect storm for sockeye - commercial fishery is going to be shut down due to a horrible King run, and the

I've worked in hatcheries in CA and I'll say the general consensus from DFG members is they don't like lining, but unfortunately for you Jay, as long as they bring the fish in and the hook is in the mouth and the bait/lure is legal there is nothing you can do. But if someone is snagging on purpose, or they drag in a belly snagged fish and bonk it in hopes that no one is looking I hope you give them hell.
That's what you are doing too , no ?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #48
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I meant if someone is throwing a treble and a 2 oz weight and
Ripping every bump they feel... As for up here, It's legal. Thousands of people doing it a day. Snagging, but only keepin the ones that are in the mouth. If someone knows what they're doing, they're not going to snag the fish anywhere else.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #49

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I meant if someone is throwing a treble and a 2 oz weight and
Ripping every bump they feel... As for up here, It's legal. Thousands of people doing it a day. Snagging, but only keepin the ones that are in the mouth. If someone knows what they're doing, they're not going to snag the fish anywhere else.
Snagging is snagging

Just because everybody is using this loophole doesn't justify the practice
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #50
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

100% correct. Like I said , its been made illegal in other states, just wanting to see what the general consensus was here. I will bet the farm it will be illegal sometime soon here. Sidenote: I am totally jealous of your Alaska trip, I can only dream of going up there one day.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #51
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Snagging is snagging

I can't believe I came down on the same side as you on this...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #52
Superior Member

Quote:
Snagging is snagging

Government says the loophole is legal. You fish Ozzy?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #53
Superior Member

Jay it won't become illegal in CA. There's more to be worried about with the salmon down there.

On another note if you want to come to Alaska it's very affordable. We have a rental home for 1400 a week. Being up 3 or 4 close buddies split the rental car bill, gas, and groceries and bring back a couple hundred pounds of fish.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #54
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jay it won't become illegal in CA. There's more to be worried about with the salmon down there.

On another note if you want to come to Alaska it's very affordable. We have a rental home for 1400 a week. Being up 3 or 4 close buddies split the rental car bill, gas, and groceries and bring back a couple hundred pounds of fish.
Thats it? Holy shit, did you drive or fly up there?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #55
Superior Member

Fly. Rental cars are the expensive part though, about 1800 a week. My dad does our suburban for I think 600 a week. If you're really interested PM me, or go to USAfishing dot com and go to the Alaska section.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #56
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fly. Rental cars are the expensive part though, about 1800 a week. My dad does our suburban for I think 600 a week. If you're really interested PM me, or go to USAfishing dot com and go to the Alaska section.
What town are you in?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #57

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Government says the loophole is legal. You fish Ozzy?
Of course , I live on an island and my house is 100' from the ocean
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #58
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do respect your opinion but this statement sort of frightens me I must say
He has a valid point in that most fisheries are managed quantitatively and the numbers have very little to do with method (except maybe where Native people are netting/trapping the fish).

I guess for me, I don't agree with flossing.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #59
Superior Member

Quote:
What town are you in?
Soldotna, Kenai river. 3.5 hours south of Anchorage.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #60
Chitoson has a spectacular aura aboutChitoson has a spectacular aura about
Chitoson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Just as was said, the fish in his way to spawning grounds will not eat and the only method to take them is flossing. You have to convince the fish and game guy that the fish took you-re hook. If snagged anywhere else you have to let it go. Now, this works only so far up the river. Later on its migratory journey the salmon goes through a lot of changes. The mouth of it gets elongated, the meet takes a white color and is not pink like it was in the ocean. At this point isn't good anymore.
Of course a lot of people still use it, but not those who know.
In my experience I do not find this to be true. Salmon will hit a large variety of offerings, some that do not need a leader or use a very short leader.