Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Your thoughts on "Flossing" fish (salmon/steelhead )

Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Your thoughts on "Flossing" fish (salmon/steelhead )

Hey guys, today has been an interesting day with the Northern CA Central valley salmon season starting today. Saw about 25 fish caught today while out working but I have always wanted to get peoples thoughts on the "technique" called flossing. It is primarily used for salmon and steelhead but may be used for others. If you are not familiar with flossing, you use a 12ft + leader of line with a single hook (and usually a bead) and a sliding sinker weight above that. You cast up stream and hope the line slides or "flosses" the salmon in the mouth, since they all face upstream with their mouths open like <.

It is very hard to enforce since in CA their is this section:

1.05. ANGLING.

To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarilytakes the bait or lure in its mouth.

...but if you dont have your head under water and see the fish get flossed or actually take the set up, its very hard to enforce. I know my stance on it and you cant talk about this subject on nearly every fishing forum without getting banned. SO TW, What do you think?

PS. Jeremy Wade ACTUALLY did this technique live on TV.. crazy...and don't use "they're gonna die anyway"
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
So, it's like "snagging or snatching"? Which is total bullshit IMO. If I'm understanding correctly. If the fish don't/ain't biting the bait/lure its not fshing.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
So, it's like "snagging or snatching"? Which is total bullshit IMO. If I'm understanding correctly. If the fish don't/ain't biting the bait/lure its not fshing.
To most, it is in the same realm as snagging and snatching. I believe it is considered illegal in WA and OR. The guys down here are dead set on fishing saying the fish is "taking" the hook or bead. How can you argue with that though since some of the guys are so good at it, they can hook them in the corner of the mouth every time. Obviously, the fish coming in backwards, sideways, snagged, etc get cited.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
That's what about 50% of the guys say around here
Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Takes the sport outta it for me......and think its wrong.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
It's pretty common here in MI too. It amounts to snagging IMO.

Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Hey guys, today has been an interesting day with the Northern CA Central valley salmon season starting today. Saw about 25 fish caught today while out working but I have always wanted to get peoples thoughts on the "technique" called flossing. It is primarily used for salmon and steelhead but may be used for others. If you are not familiar with flossing, you use a 12ft + leader of line with a single hook (and usually a bead) and a sliding sinker weight above that. You cast up stream and hope the line slides or "flosses" the salmon in the mouth, since they all face upstream with their mouths open like <.

It is very hard to enforce since in CA their is this section:

1.05. ANGLING.

To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarilytakes the bait or lure in its mouth.

...but if you dont have your head under water and see the fish get flossed or actually take the set up, its very hard to enforce. I know my stance on it and you cant talk about this subject on nearly every fishing forum without getting banned. SO TW, What do you think?

PS. Jeremy Wade ACTUALLY did this technique live on TV.. crazy...and don't use "they're gonna die anyway"
If the salmon are already in the stream are they spawning ?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
If the salmon are already in the stream are they spawning ?
Yes, the five Pacific Coast species of Salmon all are born in freshwater, move and live in Saltwater, then come back to freshwater (rivers/streams) to spawn and die. They only get one shot and their avg life spawn is 3-5 years old...The Atlantic salmon species do NOT die. Steelhead trout are the same as a regular rainbow trout (and cousin to the salmon) but go to the ocean and can make up to(4) spawning trips without dying.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, the five Pacific Coast species of Salmon all are born in freshwater, move and live in Saltwater, then come back to freshwater (rivers/streams) to spawn and die. They only get one shot and their avg life spawn is 3-5 years old...The Atlantic salmon species do NOT die. Steelhead trout are the same as a regular rainbow trout (and cousin to the salmon) but go to the ocean and can make up to(4) spawning trips without dying.
I know all that , but it seems a little early for the fish to be spawning , and if they are running they normally don't feed , no ?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
EdwardHBLW is on a distinguished road
EdwardHBLW's Tacoma Gallery
I'm fairly new to fishing, and never heard of this before, but doesn't it kinda take the fun out of it?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know all that , but it seems a little early for the fish to be spawning , and if they are running they normally don't feed , no ?
Correct, they do not eat any more once they enter fresh water. Down here, we have a small spring run of salmon that start around May and sort of blend in with the fall run fish, which end in Dec.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardHBLW View Post
I'm fairly new to fishing, and never heard of this before, but doesn't it kinda take the fun out of it?
To some, yes. Others, will drift a hook and single bead all day until it slides into a salmons mouth. A lot of guys down here a quite good at it too. I'm gonna record some fishing on Thursday while I'm out at work and show you guys the combat fishing.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Correct, they do not eat any more once they enter fresh water. Down here, we have a small spring run of salmon that start around May and sort of blend in with the fall run fish, which end in Dec.
What species ?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What species ?
Chinook (king) salmon primarily and we have a few coho (silver) salmon runs on some north rivers but that is it. We have land locked kings, coho and kokanee here though year round.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Chinook (king) salmon primarily and we have a few coho (silver) salmon runs on some north rivers but that is it. We have land locked kings, coho and kokanee here though year round.
Huh , interesting

My uncle has worked for the Provincial Fisheries Department up here his whole life , mostly in hatchery and habitat studies
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like what ive always heard as "foul hooking". i see most of you call it "snagging". . . but i agree with the lot. that's not really fishing. even a trot line requires the fish to actually want to take the bait. just snagging them is just that, snagging them. you're not "fishing".
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like the idea of it being used on Coho or Kings in CA, but "flossing" is a technique I am very familiar with because I just landed 3 sockeye about an hour ago.

A lot of salmon don't really eat once they hit freshwater, organs start compressing and sperm/or eggs start growing, food is no longer a concern for the fish.

It all depends on what species of fish you're after and I'f you have the ability to actually line the fish... Inexperienced people will snag all day long, someone who knows what they're doing can feel the difference of the line being in the mouth.

My Internet is limited but I'll try to upload pictures
Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery