Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Best Beach Truck

Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
OBXTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: JL
OBXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Best Beach Truck

I've owned vehicles in the past that I've used for surf fishing..( i.e. Nissan, Jeep)..but my 2012 SR5 V6 4x4 is without a doubt the best. Incredible difference from the first time I drove on the sand from previous vehicles. Just air down and go. The power, ground clearance, ride, etc. all great.

I didn't want to have to modify anything up front to have a front mount rod/cooler rack so I went with the receiver mount for the rear. I had always had a front mounted rod rack but this arrangement works fine. Holds 72 qt cooler and 8 rods. Trade off on lowering the tailgate when its on but no big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Beach Truck-truck_rack.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
love taking my truck down to OBX beaches, i do it every year
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I was just up at the Outer Banks last week with my truck.

I made myself a little surf fishing basket before I went up there It worked well, held my 4 surf rods and coolers just fine. Got an aluminum basket from Harbor Freight for $75 and bolted some 2" PVC pipes to it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to do as much surf fishing as I wanted. Only got out there two times. We got a few puppy drum and a croaker.

I did go on a kayak fishing trip with Rob Alderman (Fish militia) down at OI. We got out on the water at 6:30 and fished til about 11. I personally caught 5 specks (2 keepers), 2 Flounder, A lizard fish (...bleh), and a puppy drum on the paddle back in.

It was a good trip...got engaged up there haha. Popped the question to my girlfriend up on a sand dune in Swan Beach north of Corolla. She freaked..and she said yes haha.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
OBXTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: JL
OBXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats !! Looks like you had a great time and the "Catch of a Lifetime" too!! Great pics and nice improv on the surf rack. Simple and functional.

Glad you guys had a good time down here.

If you haven't already, please consider joining one, or both, of these groups that fight the good fight to keep the beaches open to responsible ORV access. It's an ongoing battle where the stakes are very high. Plus there is a lot of information and support as well as great people involved.

North Carolina Beach Buggy Association http://ncbbaonline.com/

Outer Banks Preservation Association http://obpa-nc.org

Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXTacoma View Post
Congrats !! Looks like you had a great time and the "Catch of a Lifetime" too!! Great pics and nice improv on the surf rack. Simple and functional.

Glad you guys had a good time down here.

If you haven't already, please consider joining one, or both, of these groups that fight the good fight to keep the beaches open to responsible ORV access. It's an ongoing battle where the stakes are very high. Plus there is a lot of information and support as well as great people involved.

North Carolina Beach Buggy Association http://ncbbaonline.com/

Outer Banks Preservation Association http://obpa-nc.org

Thanks
Thanks, yep for sure.

I actually already support the OBPA, I sport an OBPA sticker on the back of the truck too. I also wrote my senator recently to support the new bill.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Canes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EAOS 83'
Canes58's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats man. Great pics.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
A little late to this thread...

but VERY cool macgyver...

your GF will make a beautiful bride.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #9

Thank you sir
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Thank you sir
welcome

when is the big day?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
welcome

when is the big day?
Shooting for Sunday, Sept 1st 2013 (Labor day weekend). We've toured a few venues and we've got tours booked every weekend (2 this weekend) for the next month. Once we pick a venue we'll set the date in stone. We found a photographer and DJ. Now we're just dealing with the fact that everyone has an opinion on how things should be done (...her mother in particular).