Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Newbie / Technology in Fishing

Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Innovator has a spectacular aura aboutInnovator has a spectacular aura about
Innovator's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie / Technology in Fishing

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to learning a bit more on the subject of fishing. I've fished most all my life and nightfishing for catfish would be my sport of choice. Im also an inventor and may from time to time ask you your opinions on some ideas of mine. I would really appreciate any thoughts you have good or bad. I really am looking to learn and get some straight shooter type answers from real fishermen. I Look forward to talking with you.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Thanks for the response. Before I get to talking about myself and technology I'd like to get some of your ideas on night fishing. What are some of the products and techniques you use to make sure you dont let them get away?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed! Im interested... my night fishing is usually on the ice. Not a ton of technique there lol
Old 09-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Chitoson has a spectacular aura aboutChitoson has a spectacular aura about
Chitoson's Tacoma Gallery
I do a lot of night fishing for Striped bass from shore.

I do a lot of jigging in heavy current which can require long casts and heavy jig heads (3-5 oz). I use a variety of soft plastic bodies, up to 10 inches, on the jig heads. I use braided (50 lb) line with a 4-5' mono leader (40 lb).

In some areas I can go with lighter set ups using jig heads from 0.5 - 1.5 oz with baits up to 7 inches. I use braid up to 30 lb test with a 20 lb test leader.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Thanks for the ideas! My reason for asking is I am working on a new technology that could possibly help when trolling, bank fishing or fishing at night. I will be able to tell you more about it in around 4 to 6 weeks from now. Im also thinking it could possibly be used in tournaments. I'm just trying to get a feel for what products and techniques are currently in use.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
I look forward to getting your thoughts on my technology. On another note my buddy caught this monster 12 pound catfish and all I caught was some ZZZZZ's. gonna give it another shot tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie / Technology in Fishing-friends-fish.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
tmwilson is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st ID
tmwilson's Tacoma Gallery
Interested

I don't do a lot of night fishing other than a couple jugs or ditty poles on my grandfather's land. What new ideas/inventions do you have? I have a decent invention for plastics and lures stored over the winter months.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
Worlds first computerized fishing pole!

I just completed my invention. It's the worlds first computerized fishing pole. You can go to my website at Tackobox.com to check it out.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
KF5TUQ
BERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud ofBERTHDZ has much to be proud of

Name: Bert
BERTHDZ's Tacoma Gallery
This looks very interesting! Please feel free to send me a few to test out at our Fishing Cabin in one of the hottest fishing destinations in the US - The Lower Laguna Madre. In addition to that I can hook you up with a local TV Host of a popular outdoors show here in my area so that he might be able to showcase your rods down in our area during his Saturday shows.

I've got a few other contatcts at popular Lure companies that are based out of Texas as well that you may be able to partner with.

Any distributor or vendor/sales rep opportunities?

http://www.primoscabin.com
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
looks pretty interesting. I like the idea of being able to turn off the noise. I don't know that for me it is practical enough to spend the money on as I have a baitrunner on my catfish rod and that works as good as I can ask for. I can see some very practical uses though for guides or people that are new to fishing that want a dummy proof way of knowing.

One question. if fishing on a river or creek, or even a lake on a windy night, what keeps the line movement in the current/waves from settin off the lights and alert?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
what makes this better than the Zebco bite alert or hawg seeker? it seems like placing the alert on the rod would be a downside as that tends to be a regular breaking point

would I have to buy a whole new rod setup if i broke the tip of the rod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOCZt8ddoc
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
One question. if fishing on a river or creek, or even a lake on a windy night, what keeps the line movement in the current/waves from setting off the lights and alert?

Sorry for the late reply.
The rod works by computer controlled accelerometer technology. This is the same technology they use to land planes and for guided missiles.This link explains more in detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_navigation_system

The way it works is if you pick high sensitivity it will alert with the slightest nibble but you can still walk while holding your rod and it will not go off. If you are fishing in wind or drifting you can put it in med or low. There is no other computer controlled device for a fishing rod that can accurately detect an actual bite while your rod continues to blow in the wind.This is the worlds only computerized rod with real sensitivity adjustments and digital readout. It can not be compared to mechanical devices as mentioned above that uses a lever and is basically an on off switch.

It also has a tilt mode that reads coordinate adjustments and alarms after the rod moves past a certain angle change then resets.

my goal is to keep the cost and quality of the rods close to the same type size action, major branded quality rods price but with our added technology.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
Hey Tigerfan! You may not remember me but we met at a fishing show in wichita ks back in around 2003,2004?
To answer your question on the rod many fisherman like to be able to pick the reel they use and this allows them that option. As you know the blanks used for most rods are pretty much equal in quality. Our rods are built equal to better in quality than most major branded rods in market. The cost to the fisherman with our technology will be about the same rod for rod. This will allow the fisherman the option of the added technology. We believe our rods are still world class rods that can be used with the technology on or off.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie / Technology in Fishing-smartrod-jpeg-2.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Hey Tigerfan! You may not remember me but we met at a fishing show in wichita ks back in around 2003,2004?
To answer your question on the rod many fisherman like to be able to pick the reel they use and this allows them that option. As you know the blanks used for most rods are pretty much equal in quality. Our rods are built equal to better in quality than most major branded rods in market. The cost to the fisherman with our technology will be about the same rod for rod. This will allow the fisherman the option of the added technology. We believe our rods are still world class rods that can be used with the technology on or off.
wasnt me that you met never been to kansas

and good to know you have quality rods, but stuff still happens to them is my concern...you spend $50-$75 on a rod with this technology (which is cool btw) and then you get careless loading or unloading your gear one day and you snap the tip off...or it's just one of those bad days on the water and the tip breaks fighting a fish...is the sensor trash? or can it be moved to a different rod?

that's the biggest advantage of that zebco hawg seeker to me (which i own already) because the reel is a decent reel (havent stripped the gears or broken anything yet) but if the rod breaks...i can move the reel to a different rod if i want

I fish in areas where some of the nations largest catfish are caught and it's nothing to pull in a haul of 4-5 40+lbers in one evening...i just sent back an Ugly Stik rod because the rod broke before my 25lb test line did
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Smile

First off I apoligize. I thought you were the guy from Team catfish I met at the Kansas colosieum boat show quite some time ago. Our rod is a quality 20 pound medium action rod that we feel confident you can put against any major branded 20 pound $30 to $60 dollar rod without technology. I can't honestly say you could'nt break it with a 40 plus pounder as you already broke your uglystick. Our rod is exactly what it is. Designed to function at it's spec's. if you break our $55.00 rod with technology or you break another $55.00 with no technology and the same spec's the result is the same. Either you repair it if possible or buy another rod. Our ball bearing reel comes with 15 pound red test so I would'nt think about any 50lb plus cats on this line. We are in the development stages of building larger surf and catfish rods that would be better suited for this size of fish. These are good for channel cat among other species of fish. As far as any comparison to the Hawgseeker Many fishermen like the Zebco reel and many do not. Alot of fishermen have complained that you cannot use the alarm with the light only alert for night fishing and the sensitivity setting lever does not tell you where its set. Also I have seen post complaints of no real sensitivity adjustment. Not to knock the Hawgseeker but it's not for everyone. We all have to decide whats best for us and this is only my option. Either way this is the only Computer Controlled fishing pole in the world backed by an awarded utility patent. I believe the technology will be good for fishermen that fish from the bank, fish with multiple rods, drift fishing, trolling, want to use a specific reel or are visual and hearing impared. Here is another pic that better shows our reel.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie / Technology in Fishing-smartrod-jpeg-1.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
Also I wanted to say thank you for the questions as this is good information to know what the fishermen are thinking. Hopefully I will have a larger rod that will work better for the larger fish in the future.
I have a question for you. Do you have a problem with a larger two piece surf or catfish rod?
Do you prefer a one piece unit?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

I personally prefer 1 piece rods

Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
blitz is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
blitz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoson View Post
I do a lot of night fishing for Striped bass from shore.

I do a lot of jigging in heavy current which can require long casts and heavy jig heads (3-5 oz). I use a variety of soft plastic bodies, up to 10 inches, on the jig heads. I use braided (50 lb) line with a 4-5' mono leader (40 lb).

In some areas I can go with lighter set ups using jig heads from 0.5 - 1.5 oz with baits up to 7 inches. I use braid up to 30 lb test with a 20 lb test leader.
sounds like you fish the cape cod canal
can you build me one of these on a rainshadow 1209 or a gsb 120-1L?