LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Jon boats?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Jon boats?

Looking at a 12' Lowe flat bottom jon boat tomorrow.

No motor, only paddles included, asking 300.

How do these boats do in the water with two adults? What can I expect with the paddles alone, will I need a trolling motor for large ponds/small lakes?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Would this be a better option?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-4-Pe...ndingMethod=rr
Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know what you'r looking at in a 12' jon. Some are only 36" across the bottom, and none too deep. Depends on what you want it for, the 14-48's are generally very stable and will easily accommodate 2 people and their gear.
If you want to throw it on the back of the truck, and carry it to the pond or lake, you will have to stay with the smaller, lighter, hulls.
You would probablly want a small motor, rowing gets old unless its a very small body of water.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
CVTejas
CVTejas is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
CVTejas's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CVTejas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Looking at a 12' Lowe flat bottom jon boat tomorrow.

No motor, only paddles included, asking 300.

How do these boats do in the water with two adults? What can I expect with the paddles alone, will I need a trolling motor for large ponds/small lakes?

Thanks.

Unless you using it on a pond... I'd steer clear of a non powered jon boat and go the route of an open canopy tandem kayak. Pelican has a 14T that is a great starter kayak that easily straps to your tacoma. I've got 4 different kayaks and a 14" V Hull John boat and I use the kayaks more often than the john boat.

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...boat=KDA14P101
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I contemplated a Jon boat but went this route instead. Mainly because of the ability to be able to stand up and fish. I fish mainly for bass and standing up and flipping is a must.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
If you want an education on jon boats, go to "tinboats . net".
These guys have modified their jons for anything and everything.
A lot have casting decks/ bow fishing platforms, and anything imagionable.
I myself own a 1654 Tracker GRIZZLEY FB jon.
There's tons of jon boats in our area. The Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers are shallow rivers, and a lot of guys have jon's equipped with jets, for shallow running.
They are very stable with a 48" or more bottom.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Sconnie
mudthedoor has a spectacular aura aboutmudthedoor has a spectacular aura about

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery