Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly tying desk plans?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Fly tying desk plans?

Im starting to tie some flies to save a little cash and to do something to keep me occupied through the winter, so does any one have any plans or pictures of their setup? I am going to get an old roll top desk off craigslist for the actual desk part, I am more interested in the desk top.

Ive found a few here and there that look very easy to build, but I wanna see what you guys have done!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
FlyFshr has a spectacular aura aboutFlyFshr has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: SecFo/Comm Ret
FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with "saving money" tying your own flies. The more different patterns you tie the more materials you'll find yourself buying. It is a great way to stay busy though, I love it. What type of fishing are you doing? The roll-top desk is a great idea, hides the mess that will happen. I use a 5 ft butcher block table and no matter how often I clean/organize it gets messy every week.....oddly enough my wife doesn't complain. I think I'll start looking for a roll-top also.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Save money?

Ya, right.

That's what I THOUGHT when I gave up shaving with cartridges and went with a straight razor.

At this point, I'll probably break even some time in August of 2172.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Abel super 11 reel and a islander 9 weight reel and spare spool along with a few sage fly rods that I don't use anymore and I want sell them if anyone is interested. I can post pics in a bit. PM me if interested.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFshr View Post
Good luck with "saving money" tying your own flies. The more different patterns you tie the more materials you'll find yourself buying. It is a great way to stay busy though, I love it. What type of fishing are you doing? The roll-top desk is a great idea, hides the mess that will happen. I use a 5 ft butcher block table and no matter how often I clean/organize it gets messy every week.....oddly enough my wife doesn't complain. I think I'll start looking for a roll-top also.
Haha yeah youre right. Im trout fishing right now. Im hoping to get to some salt next summer. I have saved a little I think. Ive got enough PT nymphs to last me for years and I only have about 15 bucks wrapped up in them.

I got a roll top off craigslist for $30. Its real wood and not in bad shape at all. Im building a little caddy for hooks, tools, thread and stuff. Ill post some pictures soon. In true fly fisherman form I've already stickered the hell out of it.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, gotta have the stickers. Just started filling my nymph box last week. Not sure if you've tied a Prince Nymph with a black CDC collar....worked really well this summer in northern ID waters and on the Spokane River. I'll post some pics tonight.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Fly Tying Area

I've been using this area for about ten years, it works for me. Tools and materials are handy and easy to get to.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFshr View Post
I've been using this area for about ten years, it works for me. Tools and materials are handy and easy to get to.

New mod to my tying desk..