Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing BS thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #221
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice fish and truck!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #222
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Cabelas had a pretty sweet deal on a rod and reel combo 2 days ago I believe. $150 for both...I almost got it but decided against it.

Wishbone do you have anymore pics of that pontoon of yours? I am looking at getting a packable one (50lbs but hike-able with food water and gear still). I also want to look into the ones I can tow and use with 2 people at times.

They are not pontoon's, but if you are looking for something lightweight that you can pack in somewhere check out www.alpackaraft.com

They have several models, 2 you can row and others you paddle. The 2 you can row will fit 2 people, a little cramped but it can be done.

The Fjord explorer
https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cf...3&ProductID=87

The Vintage roe boat (same as Fjord Explorer but comes with a frame)
https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cf...&ProductID=166

I have an alpaca and a yukon yak and have fished from both boats, it's a little awkward because they do not track well plus they are small boats. Nice thing is that I can pack it in and with packraft, paddle, and PFD I'm under 8lbs for gear alone. These things are very tough. I've used both of mine to paddle lakes, backcountry lakes, as well as several class II, III, and IV rivers.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #223
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm, very nice! Ill be on the look out for a used one...

I agree they are pricey, but after using and abusing both of my packrafts I can tell you that they are worth every penny I paid for them

If you are looking for a used one keep an eye out on their forum in the for sale section

http://packrafting.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=26
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #224
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Wishbone do you have anymore pics of that pontoon of yours? I am looking at getting a packable one (50lbs but hike-able with food water and gear still). I also want to look into the ones I can tow and use with 2 people at times.
Sure. Mine is the later, you could never carry this thing very far, it weighs a couple hundred loaded. It is bad ass though and could handle anything from class V rapids to flat water. My buddy in the pics and I picked it up last spring for $1500 basically new from a guy down in Gunnison.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...ult.aspx?id=17

My only major gripe is that is only handles 2 people, and not a ton of gear, so stuck with 2 person day trips. We can get my dog on it, but it is pretty tight with him and 2 people.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #225
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
They are not pontoon's, but if you are looking for something lightweight that you can pack in somewhere check out www.alpackaraft.com

They have several models, 2 you can row and others you paddle. The 2 you can row will fit 2 people, a little cramped but it can be done.

The Fjord explorer
https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cf...3&ProductID=87

The Vintage roe boat (same as Fjord Explorer but comes with a frame)
https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cf...&ProductID=166

I have an alpaca and a yukon yak and have fished from both boats, it's a little awkward because they do not track well plus they are small boats. Nice thing is that I can pack it in and with packraft, paddle, and PFD I'm under 8lbs for gear alone. These things are very tough. I've used both of mine to paddle lakes, backcountry lakes, as well as several class II, III, and IV rivers.
Damn, those are pretty cool! The little ones would be perfect for high country lakes to slay the cutts up here.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #227
Because 4R

Quote:
Any Colorado guys point me towards some good fishing anywhere near Durango, Pagosa Springs, Gunnison, and Salida?

I'll be up in and around Salida for about 2 weeks starting May 6th and want to get some fishing in while I'm in the area.
Sure:

Durango - Animas, through town is gold medal water

Pagosa Springs - San Juan, again gold medal water through town

Gunnison - Gunnison, head up river towards Crested Butte, was up there 2 weeks ago and it was great

Salida - Arkansas, tons of access, the caddis hatch should be poppin right around that time, can be epic!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #228
Banned
Law Enforcement:
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Sure:

Durango - Animas, through town is gold medal water

Pagosa Springs - San Juan, again gold medal water through town

Gunnison - Gunnison, head up river towards Crested Butte, was up there 2 weeks ago and it was great

Salida - Arkansas, tons of access, the caddis hatch should be poppin right around that time, can be epic!

Why thank you....Think I'll definitely be fishing the east and west forks of the San Juan
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #229
Because 4R

Quote:
Why thank you....Think I'll definitely be fishing the east and west forks of the San Juan
No problem. If you have time, go down to the tailwater section of the Juan in NM below Navajo Lake, awesomeness. About an hour from Pagosa.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #230
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
That actually works? Consider me skeptical....

Althought I swear to gawd I watched a woman freaking slay it one day fishing with marshmellows.

No shit. At a *popular lake* in the sierras. No one was getting much action that day. Except for that one woman. Stockers though. But still. I guess anything can work
Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #231
Because 4R

I could see that working as a midge larva.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #232
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
I could see that working as a midge larva.
I take it back I could see that working.

And didn't mean to come off antagonistic Hagen... I may have had one too many cervezas last night before posting.

Carry on
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #233
Because 4R

Quote:
I am going to be out again this weekend. I will be with a group of 2-3. Not sure on the location but on the platte for sure. Ill post an actual location when I know but if anyone is gonna be in the area let me know.
I was thinking about floating the Reef, but I will probably just hit the CO and avoid the drive.

How was North Gate? On my to do list for this summer.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #234
Because 4R

Quote:
It was good. My first time up there and we caught 5 rainbows all around 12-14 inches on various nymphs in a few hours. We didn't stay long since the guy I was with got frostbite last christmas and can't handle the cold well anymore. I ran into a group of old friends I haven't seen in 4 years on the river and they said after we left they were slaying it with streamers and even got a really nice brown. Ill be going out with that group this weekend.

I think we are going there again this Friday since the weather will be much nicer. Outside of fishing I really liked the location and the surroundings the most.
Cool, good info. I am really looking forward to making it up there at some point.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #236
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery

Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #237
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to get my dad started on fly fishing. He's got a bass pro gift card and I'm going to go look at the little kits they have to get started. Not really going to exceed 130 starting off. Do any of y'all have one of these kits or have and input on the matter? He'll just be fishing in a river and ponds and what not. No saltwater as of yet. I just don't want him to get a shitty starter kit as I know many starter kits do indeed suck.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #238
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Mainly smallies and largemouth.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #239
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post

Nice work!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #240
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Nice work!
Thanks dude. That's my personal best for pyramid lake. 31" just over 10 pounds.