Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing BS thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #241
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Alright fly guys, rubber soles! I'm sure you heard...

edit: CA/nv only
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #242
Old Fart
Rival14 has a spectacular aura aboutRival14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dave, The Lip Ripper Extraordinaire
Rival14's Tacoma Gallery
Vibram studded....is FTW. Felt is crap although its easier on the fiberglass of a drift boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Felt FTW!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #243
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival14 View Post
Vibram studded....is FTW. Felt is crap although its easier on the fiberglass of a drift boat

I have the korkers chrome boots with several removable outsoles. Studded kling on, rubber kling on, felt, and studded felt. Different applications for different river bottoms
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #244
Old Fart

Rival14's Tacoma Gallery
I see you're WY. I was just on the NP the previous two weeks at Greys and Freemont. God I love that place.....

Quote:
Ive yet to fall with felt. Seen some guys slipping like crazy with rubber soles though. Not sure if they had vibram soles or even studded however. I'd imagine the vibrams would be a dream to walk in...I love all my minimalist Merrels with vibrams .
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #245
Old Fart

Rival14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah! Always eager to get out anywhere on the platte

And this video blew my mind! Holy...

http://youtu.be/kfzRsfQhJlE
Sick.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #246
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah! Always eager to get out anywhere on the platte

And this video blew my mind! Holy...

http://youtu.be/kfzRsfQhJlE
That was crazy!!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #247
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
So epic! The guy's commentary was the best part.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #248
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
So Ive got a bahamas trip coming up and will need to take my flies... For all of you guys that have flown with fly fishing stuff... What needs to be checked and what can I carry on??
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #249
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
So Ive got a bahamas trip coming up and will need to take my flies... For all of you guys that have flown with fly fishing stuff... What needs to be checked and what can I carry on??
I always carry my gear on the plane. Try and pack all your flies in one bag. I'm not sure how many rods you're gonna bring, but you can usually pack 2 rods in a tube if you're careful. I flew to Texas earlier this year and brought 4 rods in 2 tubes. I just taped them together to make it one item. I did get stopped as I was boarding the plane on my way home. The TSA agent that barely spoke English wanted to see if there was anything sharp in my vest. After pulling out all my fly boxes I was set free. Other than that I have had no issues bringing rods/flies on a plane. I've even had 2 piece rod tubes on the plane. Good luck on your trip. Where in the Bahamas are you going? Are you gonna hire a guide? I'm super jealous. Take lots of pictures.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #250
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to Eleuthera. I havent made up my mind yet about the guide, but probably. However, Eleuthera is supposed to be the best place for DIY bonefishing in the Bahamas and the idea of catching my first bone, on my own, on a fly that I tied myself is pretty gnarly and would make for a helluva story. Im definitely gonna take a ton of pictures. I just bought a gopro today. So hopefully I'll have a couple of cool videos too.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #251

Quote:
I'm going to Eleuthera. I havent made up my mind yet about the guide, but probably. However, Eleuthera is supposed to be the best place for DIY bonefishing in the Bahamas and the idea of catching my first bone, on my own, on a fly that I tied myself is pretty gnarly and would make for a helluva story. Im definitely gonna take a ton of pictures. I just bought a gopro today. So hopefully I'll have a couple of cool videos too.
My friend just got back from Honduras and did just that. On a 5wt no less. Broke his 8wt the first day there on a rock. I wouldn't get stuck on that idea after traveling all the way down there. Maybe give it a shot the first day and if nothing than get a guide. Are you on any fly fishing forums?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #252

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of local trout and bass bum forums. Nothing like the drake. Haha maybe this trip will give me the pictures enough to join
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #253
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys, I just found this thread this morning. I've fly fished off and on over the years mainly for bream and bass on KY lake or small warm water rivers in middle TN. Recently moved to Chattanooga, although not living there for another 3 weeks, so I'm looking forward to being closer to some trout waters. My fiance wants to learn how to fly fish so I'm thinking about finding someone local to give a lesson or two since I'm not a very good teacher and could probably use a real lesson myself. I like seeing all the pics in this thread and the ones out west make me jealous of the landscape there.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #254
Chitoson has a spectacular aura aboutChitoson has a spectacular aura about
Chitoson's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from my yearly Keys trip. We did a mixed bag of flats, channels and bridges with assorted types of gear.

My most memorable moments came on the flats with the fly rod.

One was this bonefish.
Fly Fishing BS thread-bone.jpg

Then, a friend and I were on a flat that we had never explored before. We saw a couple of fish pushing but nothing I would consider targetable. Then I saw a tarpon rise. I alerted my friend and his immediate response was "F-you!". From years of crying wolf none of us pay much attention to fish alerts.

Fly Fishing BS thread-hard-bottom-flats.jpg

I changed from my 8 wt to my 10. On my second cast there was a large "Pop". I strip set a couple of times and a 70-100 lb Tarpon turned the water to a froth in front of me. He landed on my leader, rolled, and we parted ways. It was awesome! Maybe next year I will be able to keep one on long enough to get it on the reel.

We also found a huge sea turtle skull out there.

Fly Fishing BS thread-skull-xrods.jpg
Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #255
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I would look into the simple lessons people loaded up on youtube before paying for a guide. I find them helpful and got me casting pretty dang well. Only time I will pay for a guide is if I just cannot catch a fish in a brand new place or it gave me access to awesome private lands. I dont have a wife though...id imagine she'd listen to a guide and have more patience than trying to learn through her husband though .

Yeah, the main reason is that I'm not a very good teacher. Normally I wouldn't hire a guide at all, but it'd be so she can learn the basics and we don't get a divorce before getting married.

On another note, I found out this morning that my favorite bream bug, Accardo Round Dinny, is no longer made, so I might have to try to figure out how to tie them myself.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post

Yeah, the main reason is that I'm not a very good teacher. Normally I wouldn't hire a guide at all, but it'd be so she can learn the basics and we don't get a divorce before getting married.

On another note, I found out this morning that my favorite bream bug, Accardo Round Dinny, is no longer made, so I might have to try to figure out how to tie them myself.
Hiring a guide will help shorten the learning curve while also building confidence so she will want to go more often. I'm slightly biased though as I am a guide.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #257

Quote:
A couple of local trout and bass bum forums. Nothing like the drake. Haha maybe this trip will give me the pictures enough to join
Check out kienes fly fishing forum. A lot of good info and some really helpful people.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #258

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post

Little Rivers Outfitters gives a beginners class... You can take her up there and drop her off then hit the park. Im in chattanooga. Shoot me a message sometime and we may can hook up and go. Did you fish the Elk or Duck much when you lived in Nashville?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #259
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
WYO this weekend: