Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing BS thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #261
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
^^ nice fish! Floating or sinking line?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #262
Whiskey Neat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mechanic - of sorts
Name: James
Whiskey Neat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Hi guys, I just found this thread this morning. I've fly fished off and on over the years mainly for bream and bass on KY lake or small warm water rivers in middle TN. Recently moved to Chattanooga, although not living there for another 3 weeks, so I'm looking forward to being closer to some trout waters. My fiance wants to learn how to fly fish so I'm thinking about finding someone local to give a lesson or two since I'm not a very good teacher and could probably use a real lesson myself. I like seeing all the pics in this thread and the ones out west make me jealous of the landscape there.
See if you can find a women's only class. That was what I gave my mom for her birthday last year and how I eased her into the hobby. As she told me, it was much less intimidating for her since she didn't feel like there was any pressure to not screw up in front of men. That, and the class was making jokes about rods and poles the hole time...
Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #263
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
^^ nice fish! Floating or sinking line?
Fished 2 flies all weekend, 14 Hares Ear with an 18 RS2 dropper, never need to change it up. All fished on a floating line, 2-3 feet below indicator.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #264
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Fished 2 flies all weekend, 14 Hares Ear with an 18 RS2 dropper, never need to change it up. All fished on a floating line, 2-3 feet below indicator.
Nice! Did the dropper get most of the fish?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #265
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Nice! Did the dropper get most of the fish?
Pretty even mix, the bigger fish took the hares ear.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #266

la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Pretty even mix, the bigger fish took the hares ear.
Right on! Looks like you had a blast.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #267
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
What's a good beginner combo for AZ? I was thinking a 4 or 5 weight. Maybe the Cabelas RLS+, Orvis Streamline 5, or White River Hobbs Creek.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #268
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
What's a good beginner combo for AZ? I was thinking a 4 or 5 weight. Maybe the Cabelas RLS+, Orvis Streamline 5, or White River Hobbs Creek.

Thanks!
A 9' 5 WT is a good all around rod for just about everything. If you generally fish for bigger fish on larger rivers or lakes, maybe go up to a 6.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #269
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post

Thanks!
Went with the Cabelas RLS+ combo in 9' 5wt
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #270
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Headed to camp and dry fly a couple of local bluelines. Southern Appalachian trout fishing at its finest. Hoping for a grand slam of the south eastern variety, brookie bow and brown. The brookie and bow will be the easier of the 3.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #271
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Going to the grey reef area this Saturday to fish with my Dad. Anyone know whats working well around there lately?
Check these out, and stop by the shop. The increase in flow is going to make wade fishing a bit more difficult if you aren't floating. Definitely heed the light short rig, the fish will be suspended and not hugging the bottom.

http://www.northplattelodge.com/wordpress/

http://www.northplatteflyfishing.com/fishing-report/
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #272
Because 4R

Quote:
Going to the grey reef area this Saturday to fish with my Dad. Anyone know whats working well around there lately?
How was it?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #273
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
Got out before work this morning.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #274
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work Chris! I sure wish I lived up in Tahoe.... or anywhere closer to the sierra. The 5-6hr drive is killing me/my wallet.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #275
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
Got out before work this morning.

nice man, I know where this is at. I've seen you before too EPIC FISH!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #276
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
nice man, I know where this is at. I've seen you before too EPIC FISH!
Thanks. Where have you seen me before?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #277
PuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
PuffDr4gon's Tacoma Gallery
Had my first ever Eastern Trout Grand Slam+ today...4 Rainbow, 2 Brown, and 1 Brook trout plus 5 Bluegills! And in NJ none the less! ]

I would of thought I'd hit the slam in PA or NY where I primarily fly fish. Nothing crazy big, most in the 14-16" range, but it was great getting out there and exploring new waters.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #278
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going for golden trout this saturday, 16 mile hike in snowy range! Let me know if anyone is in the area.
Man I'd sooo be down if I was up there right now. In a couple weeks I'm going to hike into the Winds to hit a certain lake for golden trout.

Good luck & I can't wait to see some pics!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #279
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Old man taught me how to tie flies today. This streamer is my first one:

We're headed to the eastern sierras next week and these sorts of things work real well tubing in the lakes.

Looking forward to tying some more and getting better.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Old man taught me how to tie flies today. This streamer is my first one:

We're headed to the eastern sierras next week and these sorts of things work real well tubing in the lakes.

Looking forward to tying some more and getting better.
Where are you headed?