Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing BS thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #421
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeze...

Fly fishermen on here, question for ya...

I'm looking into getting more into fly fishing because my girlfriend suggested she wants to learn howto fly fish and I would like to learn more about it.

I want to buy a new, lighter, shorter pole without breaking the bank - sub 100$ . It will primarily be used for smaller trout streams, no larger than about 30 ft wide. All my research brings me to a 4 weight rod. Cabella's seems to have alot of stuff on sale in that price range. I was looking into these -

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105573780

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I already have a reel off of my current fly rod which I plan on reusing on the new one.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #422
shoeless is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
shoeless's Tacoma Gallery
Getting more into fly fishing as well.
Thinking about picking up an Orvis Clearwater combo.
Will be out on the buffalo in Midtn next week for three days.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #423
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
Jeeze...

Fly fishermen on here, question for ya...

I'm looking into getting more into fly fishing because my girlfriend suggested she wants to learn howto fly fish and I would like to learn more about it.

I want to buy a new, lighter, shorter pole without breaking the bank - sub 100$ . It will primarily be used for smaller trout streams, no larger than about 30 ft wide. All my research brings me to a 4 weight rod. Cabella's seems to have alot of stuff on sale in that price range. I was looking into these -

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105573780

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I already have a reel off of my current fly rod which I plan on reusing on the new one.
For what you're trying to do, I'm sure that'd be a fine rod for the price. Whenever I look for a new rod I make sure it has a lifetime warrantee. Of it does, I don't really care what brand it is. I fish all st. Croix rods and I love them. Broken many and they always replace them within a week if they have them in stock.

I've never bought a rod through cabelas so I'm not sure how they cover their rods, but I'd definitely check into it before purchasing.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #424
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Solid advice.

They carry a 10 year warranty.

We have a Cabellas about an hour away. so replacing it shouldnt be an issue.

I may go check them out after work Frirday

:beer:
Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #425
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Oh. Yeah if I spent $100 on a rod and got more than 10 years I'd be ecstatic.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #426
Jiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medic
Name: Micah
Jiveydude's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy a rod, any 3,4,5,6 weight rod will do. People seem to get hung up on the product more than the sport in my opinion, if you and your girl have fun then after the first few times out you'll start to figure out what you need for a better time. My first rod was a garage sale find, 25 bucks at most...think it was spooled with sinker line too if i remember right
The sport can be expensive if you want it to be, but try it out for a few weekends and see if it's worth the money to you and your girl, then pump out the cash for the right equipment. Most good companies (Cabela's included...) offer a warranty on their equipment, so a one time large purchase will pan out over at least 15 or so years. I still have my Filson waders from the early 90's when I started, large price tag at the beginning but has paid for itself over and over again with their customer support.

My two cents...
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #427
JDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDeLuca's Tacoma Gallery
Look at TFO rods, the Professional II series have a lifetime warranty. You can pick one up on Ebay for a decent price.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #428
Jd3 is a splendid one to beholdJd3 is a splendid one to beholdJd3 is a splendid one to beholdJd3 is a splendid one to beholdJd3 is a splendid one to beholdJd3 is a splendid one to beholdJd3 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: ATC
Jd3's Tacoma Gallery
Dont fly fish..... it will ruin your life
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiveydude View Post
Just buy a rod, any 3,4,5,6 weight rod will do. People seem to get hung up on the product more than the sport in my opinion, if you and your girl have fun then after the first few times out you'll start to figure out what you need for a better time. My first rod was a garage sale find, 25 bucks at most...think it was spooled with sinker line too if i remember right
The sport can be expensive if you want it to be, but try it out for a few weekends and see if it's worth the money to you and your girl, then pump out the cash for the right equipment. Most good companies (Cabela's included...) offer a warranty on their equipment, so a one time large purchase will pan out over at least 15 or so years. I still have my Filson waders from the early 90's when I started, large price tag at the beginning but has paid for itself over and over again with their customer support.

My two cents...
Solid advice.

Name brand stuff doesnt really do anything for me. Looking more into something entry level that will get the job done and last. IE best bang for the buck :beer:
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #430
NCTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
NCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Bass Pro in Cary has a combo deal. White river Hobbs creek rod and reel, backing, leader, and a single round rod and reel case. 8'6" 5# or 9' 5#. $150 pre-tax. Purchased separately would be around $190 I think. Seems like a pretty decent setup. I'm trying to get started fly fishing.

Any suggestions or remarks on this setup?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #431
hellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hellsbay's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd3 View Post
Dont fly fish..... it will ruin your life
He's not kidding! Here is a shot from tarpon fishing last week in Gasparilla Pass, near Boca Grande in SW Florida. My wife says that I am a total fishing degenerate. Today both my kids are visiting from different parts of the country but I am headed to Biscayne Bay for bonefish, tarpon and permit. I am cutting her some slack by only spending two days away. My kids will still be there when I get back.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #432

Welp. Ended up picking up a rod/reel combo from Cabella's Friday after work. Went with a 7'6" 3 weight Cabella's Three Forks rod and a Prestige reel.

I planned on just buying a rod and new backing/line/leader and it ended up being the same price as the combo so I ended up just picking up the full set up. I also picked up a assorted pack of "classic trout flies" to mess with.

This happened Saturday afternoon -

First trout on a fly rod. Hooked him on a tan simulator fly. Such a rush compared to fishing with a spinning reel and live minnie.

We went out again today and caught another rainbow on a light cahill.

(no picture, forgot my phone in the Jeep)

I think its safe to say I have a new hobby

:beer:
Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #433
Jiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Congrats man I got skunked the first few times I went out.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #434

Next question, where do you guys get flies from? Local shop? Tie your own? ect?

I wanna get into tying my own eventually after I get more comfortable. But for the time being, its easier to just purchase them. The problem is I fear Im going to lose a lot of them (lost 3 alone yesterday - 1 tree and 2 snapped tippet) learning proper fishing techniques, so buying them from local shops is going to get expensive fast.

Has anyone had any luck purchasing flies cheaper off the internet? Any sites to check out? Any to avoid?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #435
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I tie the simple ones and then purchase others. I enjoy giving my money to the local shops. They give me great advice and I get some proper flies.

You'll start getting better about not losing the flies. Just buy a few here and there and slowly your collection will grow. I have gotten flies from orvis...probably not cheaper but the quality was good. I had some from amazon for bass and trout when I was in Kansas but it was sub par quality and they unraveled or came apart. If you buy cheaper flies in bulk get some head cement and add a bit to each fly to keep it from coming apart. Even some super glue would work.

It sounds like you just want to get the fly in the water so I doubt you are super picky on presentation yet. I'd just buy in bulk until you are comfortable casting and won't lose flies constantly. You'll still catch fish. I would still pick up a couple local flies to get a nice little collection going however.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #436

Awesome advice.

Correct. I just wanna get out and work on casting and all the other basics until I get better at it then I can start putting together a nice collection. I have zero problem spending money on locally made/sold items once I get more comfortable casting/setting the hook.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #437
FlyFshr has a spectacular aura aboutFlyFshr has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: SecFo/Comm Ret
FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Great day on the river

This 20+" rainbow was caught on the upper Columbia a couple of weeks ago near Castlegar BC, CA. Great 40+ fish day with guide Kelly Laatsch of The St Mary Angler. Get with Kelly if you want to catch some big energetic bows!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #438

Nice catch man, I still need to get up there one of these days. A sturgeon on a fly line is one of my dreams.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #439
FlyFshr has a spectacular aura aboutFlyFshr has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: SecFo/Comm Ret
FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiveydude View Post
Nice catch man, I still need to get up there one of these days. A sturgeon on a fly line is one of my dreams.
We actually had about an 8 footer breach in one of the back eddies we were in. I didn't see it, heard the splash though. My fishing partner got a good view. Awesome and powerful fishery.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #440
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
What's the verdict on nautilus? My local shop has an 8 weight fit what seems like a good deal