Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing BS thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #441
Jiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medic
Name: Micah
Jiveydude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
What's the verdict on nautilus? My local shop has an 8 weight fit what seems like a good deal
If you can get a good deal on a nautilus grab it. The only bad thing I've heard about them is that the drag is a little touchy and they don't like salt water too much but that could be said about any reel.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #442
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up not getting it. It was there low end model and was over priced for what I saw online. What about Allen fishing? I've been thinking about getting a compass series rod from them just to learn saltwater fishing on
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #443
Jiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJiveydude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Never used one before, but a quick online search shows that they do have a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for 100 bucks.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #444
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiveydude View Post
Never used one before, but a quick online search shows that they do have a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for 100 bucks.

Yeah that's what makes them look better lol
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #446

Small trip up into Wy this weekend

Old 09-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #447
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery

Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #448
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Damn
Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #449
Idaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud of
Army:
Idaho's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone specifically do largemouth fishing on their fly rods? Gotten into it quite a bit this summer but still have some questions on a few things outside of top water flies.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #450
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
I do all kinds of fly, largemouth, smallmouth, perch, trout... blah blah blah.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #451
surfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura aboutsurfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura aboutsurfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Lee
surfnmoto2's Tacoma Gallery
From an early July 2014 session on the Walker River, NV. Good fishing but the water was getting too warm to fish past 8 or 9am and the release had to be as gentle as possible. The heat and drought are pretty rough on these Brownies. I just returned from a fishing trip in the same area and the Walker is too warm to fish at all right now. Ended up backpack fishing the Saddlebag Lake region of Yosemite where the temps are lower and the streams are cool enough to support healthy catch and release.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #452
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, nice colors on that brown.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #453
hellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hellsbay's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what's going on in my part of the world. I found a school of hungry redfish just in from the gulf, where they are spawning. If you play your cards right and don't upset the school too much, you can take several of these over-slot fish. On this day I hooked up on three before I backed away to give them a break. Lots of fun on a 7 or 8wt. By the way, they were eating a topwater gurgler, which makes it even more visual and exciting.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #454
Jonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: John
Jonek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you can get a good deal on a nautilus grab it. The only bad thing I've heard about them is that the drag is a little touchy and they don't like salt water too much but that could be said about any reel.
I just bought a Nautilus FWX 5/6 Wt. from George Anderson Yellowstone Angler ,
I Bought it On-Line after I read a Reel Review and Comparison by Yellowstone Anglers ..... I was in the market for a new real after having had enough of my Orvis reel, low mid range from the 90's ....
I haven't hit the water with it yet as I just received it a few hours ago.

So far , after fondling it and spooling on some new line , I like it , can't wait to fish it .
Question is ... What is considered a Good Deal ?
I put out $275 with shipping and backing line installed , neoprene case .
Beautiful feel
Old 10-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #455
hellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hellsbay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nautilus reels are American made. They are manufactured in Miami, Fl., by people who know all about salt water fly fishing. They are ranked right up at the top for saltwater fly reels. They are the lightest high-end reels on the salt water market. No problem with the drags or salt water, in fact, they are made with sealed drags of space age material. You can drop/dunk them in salt water and absolutely nothing bad will happen. I just hose mine off at the end of a trip and put it right back into the rod holder on my skiff. I don't know a single guide or experienced salt water fisherman that would not recommend Nautilus as a top piece of equipment.

If you want an economical, light but good, salt water fly reel, I would look at the TFO BVT series. The TFO BVT or TFO Mangrove series of saltwater rods are also winners. They are guaranteed for life. If you break one it will cost you $25 and they will send you a new one, forever! I fish with G. Loomis rods that are in the $500-$800 dollar range. I have fished with TFO rods belonging to friends and actually like them better. I think they are in the $250 range, but you can get them on line for cheaper sometimes. For about $500 dollars you can get a really good saltwater outfit that you will not outgrow.

Here is a Nautilus CCF2, their newest saltwater reel, in action. That's about a thousand dollars worth of equipment balanced on my neck. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #457
Don5352 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Special Boat, Senior Chief, ST 18
Name: Don
Don5352's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thread. I love fly fishing. Sadly, I haven't been on the water since March. Too much other stuff going on. Work, training my German Short Haired Pointer for the upcoming pheasant season, looking for a new house. The usual crap. The trip in March was pretty epic, though. The wife decided she wanted to go to New Zealand. Who am I to argue.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #458
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is making me jealous. I didn't get pictures from my last trip and hardly got out this summer, so here are some from a couple years ago instead lol.

Can't remember if I posted these in here or not, but oh well! Makes me want to get out again before it's all frozen.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #459
You gonna eat your cornbread?
Possum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Possum Fat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
Here's what's going on in my part of the world. I found a school of hungry redfish just in from the gulf, where they are spawning. If you play your cards right and don't upset the school too much, you can take several of these over-slot fish. On this day I hooked up on three before I backed away to give them a break. Lots of fun on a 7 or 8wt. By the way, they were eating a topwater gurgler, which makes it even more visual and exciting.

I'll be doing just that all next week near Pensacola!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #460
Don5352 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Special Boat, Senior Chief, ST 18
Name: Don
Don5352's Tacoma Gallery
The wife and I also made a trip to Patagonia area of Argentina in 2011. Here are a couple mutant rainbows from a place affectionately referred to as Hog Lake on a private estancia.

The wife with the biggest fish of the nine day trip. She was the only female among the six of us. Nearly twenty pounds.

My mutant.

The other 8 days fishing were way better. These hogs were fun, but the fishing tiny spring creeks, and free stone rivers was way more fun.