Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly Fishing BS thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Fly Fishing BS thread

I respect the bait chuckers for doing what they do, but I could never get into it. With that being said, who here fishes with a fly rod? Bull shit this thread up. What do you fish with, what are you fishing for, what are you tying, etc. Anything to do with standing in some water and waving a stick.

I love TFO rods. I broke the tip off of mine smallie fishing on a monday and was going on a trout trip on Friday, called the customer service told them what was up and shipped it overnight to them and I had it back to me on Thursday evening. Also, I just started tying trout flies. I've started simple with a PT nymph and a hares ear. I kind of think its just as addicting as fishing.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
briinh will become famous soon enoughbriinh will become famous soon enough

briinh's Tacoma Gallery
i do alot of fishing in northern maine, we fish for salmon on the lakes, and muskie on the rivers...i fly fish for trout, but want to get into fly fishing for muskie...nothing like catching a 25-30LB fish on a flyrod
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been an avid fly fisherman for a few years. I'm also a TFO fan, I happen to know one of the guys over there & he is an upstanding guy. I've got a Lefty Kreh 8 wt. w/ Cabela's SST set up for bass/salt water. Then I've got a Cabela's rod w/ Ross reel in 5 wt for trout. The last trip I went on was in Southeastern Oklahoma for some stocked trout, it wasn't to shabby. I was throwing 18 dry's to trout in 75-80 deg weather in Oklahoma... something I wasn't expecting.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
FlyFshr has a spectacular aura aboutFlyFshr has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: SecFo/Comm Ret
FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear about the customer service from TFO. I haven't had any issues with mine yet. I have a couple, 4 wt finesse and a 7 wt TiCR. The 4 wt is my favorite. Used it in Sept to catch this 18" cuthroat on the Wigwam river in Fernie BC. Great fun!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
im also a avid fly fisherman, my brother in law had gotten me into it about 3 years ago. i have a orvis 5wt and i built my own saltwater 8wt its a mudhole blank from florida.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

caught this in florida
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #7

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice fish...anything on a fly rod is a blast. Caught this bull trout on the same trip to BC.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #8

nice man, i wish i could go places like that to fly fish. my dad is a bait chunker, even tho i get to fish in badass places its not the same.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm pretty fortunate. We usually fish the northern ID, eastern WA waters but every now and then we take a longer road trip. This was one of them...about 5.5 hours from Spokane. Worth it though. We fished the Wigwam two days, about 8 hours each day...the first day we came across 2 other people, the second day we didn't see anyone all day. It was pretty awesome. The 4 mile hike in keeps a lot of people away.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Chitoson has a spectacular aura aboutChitoson has a spectacular aura about
Chitoson's Tacoma Gallery
I love flyfishing, I have been doing it for about 12 years. I am not very good at it but have a great time trying.

It all started with an 8 wt for stripers, now I am 10-12 rods deep.

I believe there are no fish unworthy so I will target everything from minnows to tuna with a fly rod. Some of the first fish I catch every year are shiners from a small trickle of water a short walk from my house.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing some stories.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
our tides were HUGE...i woulda been waist deep in that last picture with these tides..too bad the wind kept me from fishin
Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #15

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
I caught this rainbow on the Spokane River using a new pattern for me. I saw the pattern on a website and tied some. It's a CDC Prince Nymph. A normal prince with a CDC color. The bow was about 20". Really put a bend in my 4wt TFO Finesse.

Here's the CDC Prince Nymph pattern used, tied by me.

I was fortunate this past June to take a 5 day float trip on the Smith River (MT). The river was up and off color but we still caught fish. This browny fell victim to an olive/white double bunny streamer.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery

I figured I would incorporate some excellent time management at work last night and tie up a couple dozen flies by the light of an Xray reader.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
I've become addicted to flyfishing, so many awesome lakes in BC. here is a pic of one of my favorite lakes and a couple rainbows I nailed on a sedge traveler in only 4 feet of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Fly Fishing BS thread-picture-328.jpg   Fly Fishing BS thread-picture-190.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #20

FlyFshr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Kieth, what lake? Spent a week June 2011 in the Kamloops area. Had a great time. Got a pic of the pattern you used? We were fishing mainly chironomids.