Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Need help polishing my 14ft Klamath!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Question Need help polishing my 14ft Klamath!

Hey guys, just picked this Klamath up yesterday for a steal I think. It is beautiful inside but the only thing that is bothering me is that the previous orginal owner (old guy) started polishing just the front half of the boat. I'm assuming with Mother's Aluminum Polish. Any way (quick) of doing the rest of the boat. Forgive my ignorance but is there a type of buffer that I could use to do it quicker? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can see in the pic below how the bow is polished and the rest of the boat is not.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery

Get the powerball (it attaches to any drill, and is super easy to use).

To make it a little easier to remove the polish, put a clean sock over the powerball and continue to use drill. Will probably need one final buffing by hand with a clean towel.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post

Get the powerball (it attaches to any drill, and is super easy to use).

To make it a little easier to remove the polish, put a clean sock over the powerball and continue to use drill. Will probably need one final buffing by hand with a clean towel.
Just what I needed thanks a lot.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
nice little river boat, something I need
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
There is nothing easy about polishing a aluminum boat. It's hard long work. There are some products that make it a little easier its still sucks. While being nice to look at I was told the oxidation that occurs over time helps protect the aluminum. There are vids out on u tube that show a guy polishing a big rig fuel tank. It looks like a mirror but unless you want to polish it every week to keep it like that I would try some aluminum polish and spend an afternoon on it and then never touch it again. I did see a old retired guy with a old boat that really looked shiny and he said polishing his boat was his OCD release. He did it every day. Sorry, I want to fish.
Nice boat. Hope you have lots of fun with it.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Peterson3 is on a distinguished road

Peterson3's Tacoma Gallery
the front of the boat takes the most spray, it will blend in with the rest of the boat soon enough, i would just go fishing in it...thats the beauty of an aluminum boat, less maintenance....
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
getting there, my back is killing me. I'm in the field all day and am fine. Spend an afternoon polishing half of my boat and feel like I got ran over by a freight train.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
getting there, my back is killing me. I'm in the field all day and am fine. Spend an afternoon polishing half of my boat and feel like I got ran over by a freight train.

Looks good and it doesn't surprise me your back is trashed. It's a nasty angle to work on. We just had a 31" blizzard so be lucky you can work on it.