Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

How to tie down rods?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I use 7', one-piece rods almost exclusively and lay them angled across the bottom of the bed with the butt ends behind the driver. I use one of the stock clips in the track on the forward corner of the passenger side with a bungee cord to keep the tackle box and cooler off of them. I lay the spinning rods on their side with the handles up and the bait casters leaning on their handles. To keep the rods in place I place a rubber bath mat under the reels. If I had an eight foot bed I would mount them but there is not enough room in the 6 footer.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #22
pistolpete is on a distinguished road
pistolpete's Tacoma Gallery
If you have some sort of rack (roof/ladder)...here's a solution I posted on another thread

PistolPete's ultimate fly fishing rod transporter

post #20
Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #23
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
If you have some sort of rack (roof/ladder)...here's a solution I posted on another thread

PistolPete's ultimate fly fishing rod transporter

post #20
PistolPete! Ya still got your tundra & posting great mods Remember your posts from TS when I had mine ...
Welcome to TW oh thats another thread back OT tie down fishing rods....
Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
PistolPete! Ya still got your tundra & posting great mods Remember your posts from TS when I had mine ...
Welcome to TW oh thats another thread back OT tie down fishing rods....
yep still got it and still posting on TS.com....also still looking to secure a job up there in "God's country" so I can get out of the hell hole of NJ....if you ever see any chemists jobs let me know!!

thanks for the props on the mod...my fishing buddy was drooling yesterday when he saw it! It makes it's 4 man debut at the end of April up in the Catskill Mtns.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
I've added a means similar to pDopy3's idea to secure our spin casters (in addition to the Ultimate fly rod transporter posted earlier) to the truck to keep them up and out of the way of crushing luggage using some scrap IPE decking and aluminum stock I had left over. Works great and best of all I did NOT have to permanently modify the truck by drilling holes!

it has a 4 rod capacity right now but could be drilled to add two more rods for 6 or even another IPE wood bracket coming from the opposite direction to add a few more poles if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
How to tie down rods?-bracket_with_rod.jpg   How to tie down rods?-bracket_w_rod_angle.jpg   How to tie down rods?-ipe_end_bracket.jpg   How to tie down rods?-tip_holder.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
FUN TACO is on a distinguished road

FUN TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Nice fishing rod holders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
They are BERKLEY wall mount racks they come so you can hold 5 rods, so I just cut them for 2 they also have a twist lock so they dont fall out and, I can fit my 11' 2 piece surf rods 6' Bass rods shown.
Nice truck, and I luv your set up , this is exactly what I'm looking for! I like the idea of having them on the sides, and leaves the bed of the truck clear for all my other stuff! I went out and bought the rack yesterday, and have a couple of questions Once you cut the rack in half it only has one hole left to use, did you attach only one screw per piece on top? What type of screws did you use?