Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

DIY: Fishing Rod Holder Using Rotopax Mount

Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
PuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
PuffDr4gon's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: Fishing Rod Holder Using Rotopax Mount

This project came to mind about a month ago after I bought my first Taco!

I needed a way to carry my rods in the bed of the truck with the tail gate down while transporting my kayak. I wanted a system that would let me:
1. Utilize the Toyota rail system
2. Be inconspicuous and not protrude above the bed of the truck (the rod holder itself, not the rods )
3. Allow me to transport several rods at once

Being that I don't have a metal bender or any other means to fabricate my own mount I had to think outside the box. That's when I found Rotopax's mount for their gas cans designed specifically for the Toyota rail system. So I ended up buying two of them and here is the result. I am very please with the way it turned out and it took me less then 30 minutes to fabricate the whole thing!

So far this system has proven very sturdy and I don't notice any rattling coming from the back besides the occasional rods tapping against each other. I do throw small bungee cords over the rods just in case, but I think it would be hard for them to fly out on their own.

The best part is that I can unmount the rod holders and still use the Rotopax mount for cans if needed.

Parts needed:

2-Rotopax mounts (http://rotopax.com/Toyota-Nissan-Tru...ack-Mount.html)

2-Berkley tube rod holders: found mine at Dick's-rattle canned them grey (http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Tube-...product/20678/)

4-8x5/8 Bolts

4-8x5/8 Nuts

Permatex Blue Thread Locker

Power drill

3/16 Drill Bit

Oil (I used WD40)

First, figure out where you want to mount the Rotopax in your bed. I have a tool box so I opted to mount it towards the rear.

Second, decide where you want to mount the rod holder and use a pencil to mark the two spots you will drill later on. I decided to just eyeball it and not get too specific with measurement. Be sure to measure the rod holder while the Rotopax is on the truck so you know what angle will be best for you.

Here you can see my pencil marks I will use as indicators of where to drill.

Third, unmount the Rotopax and bring to a safe spot to drill. A large piece of wood would be preferable, but I used my recycling can turn upside down. Cover your pencil mark with oil (I used WD40 because it was there, but motor oil would work nice too). Use oil so that the drill bit & metal don't over heat.

Fourth, using a 3/16 drill bit. Drill the spot you marked with the pencil.

Fifth, repeat for the second pencil mark and clean up shavings. Here you can now see the two new holes that will be used to mount the Berkley rod holders.

Sixth, using an 8x5/8 bolt & nut-mount the rod holder to the Rotopax. Be sure to use some threadlocker to help keep it secure. Here is the final result.

LOL, my hood is still popped
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Dantwenty2 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Dantwenty2's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty nice! I put mine in the rear window and close it on them lightly. I don't know what ill do when I put the yak in the back, but this is a cool looking option.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Usmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Jovani
Usmcsantosj's Tacoma Gallery
If I was into fishing this would be my next mod for sure! Looks very nice, dude.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
PuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shedPuffDr4gon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantwenty2 View Post
Looks pretty nice! I put mine in the rear window and close it on them lightly. I don't know what ill do when I put the yak in the back, but this is a cool looking option.
I've done this plenty off times and still managed to break a rod tip! It was really easy to make if you want to go this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcsantosj
Looks very nice, dude.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn5402 View Post
do the rotapax mounts just slide/snap into the bed rails?
No, it uses a t-slot nut type design. You have to bolt it on using the hardware that came with the mount. It's very easy and all you need is the correct size allen key.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Patmac has a spectacular aura aboutPatmac has a spectacular aura about

Name: Pat
Patmac's Tacoma Gallery
nice tail lights haha
Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Needs money for mods
HombreSteven is on a distinguished road

HombreSteven's Tacoma Gallery
^^ agreed. And That looks very nice I'll def look into that
Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
aj hank is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
aj hank's Tacoma Gallery
Nice mod! Definitely a good idea
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Needs money for mods
HombreSteven is on a distinguished road

HombreSteven's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Thanks guys! It's a pretty simple rod holder that works well. I have since discontinued using the bungee cords to strap in the rods as they stay in place all by themselves. From 70mph on the freeway to back dirt roads the rods stay locked in!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
CDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDSurfPhotography is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
CDSurfPhotography's Tacoma Gallery
very nice idea, hope to do this in the near future
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
I like it!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
stag808 is on a distinguished road
stag808's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I had posted this earlier. You can make your own t-bolts using 1" washers and rod holders (pvc pipes) very cheaply to accommodate your fishing needs. I made mine to accommodate up to seven Penn 50 and 70 conventional reels (very big and heavy).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf truck rail mount rod holder.pdf (1.67 MB, 104 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stag808 View Post
I had posted this earlier. You can make your own t-bolts using 1" washers and rod holders (pvc pipes) very cheaply to accommodate your fishing needs. I made mine to accommodate up to seven Penn 50 and 70 conventional reels (very big and heavy).
Cool design. Looks solid. I'm glad it works for you, but it like I said in my original thread I needed a design that did not protrude above the bed rail. Nor did I want to utilize the entire rail system. I have a big Shimano TLD on a trolling rod that this system works fine on as well! Tight lines!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #17
Tacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Off Course is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austin
Tacoma Off Course's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. Great work! will be doing this soon.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
TheDuke0fHurl is on a distinguished road
TheDuke0fHurl's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice. Probably gonna do this this weekend. Do you think mounting them so the rods lean toward the cab would work better?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
SleazyPetey is on a distinguished road

Name: Pete
SleazyPetey's Tacoma Gallery
It looks nice! Quick question, what kind of tool box do you have for your Tacoma